A change in homestead equipment

Will,

As the ex-Army Drill Sergeant, I think I can answer questions about MILES. The individual soldier wears an H shaped suspender like arrangement that has sensors on front and back. Then there is a ring of sensors that go around the helmet. Each little laser sensor is equally rated as a kill. The laser emitter that fastens to the M-16 is adjustable for point of aim. You are supposed to set up a zero range and ensure that each soldier has a chance to zero the device. In practice, nobody really has the time. I don't think I'm ever seen an entire platoon go through a MILES zero. The device is just locked on the rifle, maybe test fired with a blank at a sensor and then the soldier moves out.

The best part about MILES from a tactical position is that there is equipment for the heavier stuff as well. There are emitters and sensors for M-60 machine guns as well as M-1 tanks and Blackhawk helicopters. They "discriminate." You can't kill a tank with an M-16 (not with MILES anyway). Referees walk around with "God guns" which allows them to kill anything with a single shot. This enables them to instantly punish cheating behavior or "re-balance" the battle if it starts tilting one way too fast and threatens to mess up the training.

There were ways to "help your side" when you were a drill sergeant or unit First Sergeant facing an engagement with another unit. We used to pull out our very best marksman and have them carefully zero their M-16's. We would then try to use them as snipers to disrupt the other unit before they could get their spray and pray units in close enough to be effective. It's also good to find out if the rules allow CS gas to be used. A few canisters of that lobbed into a group of half trained soldier can cause lots of confusion. And those same soldier will be easy pickings once they are masked and half blind. Good times and good memories!

Gregg

Hey Uncle Bill,

Don't know if this has been asked before, but: what type of loads to you keep in that old 38 snub that is your"by the bed gun"? Silver tip hollow points? Just curious.

Rob

Hey Yvsa --

"The Ship of Ishtar" is by a guy called Abraham Merritt. The book is now out of print but available through places like bn.com. I just did a check, you can get a used copy for about six bucks...

<a href="http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/OopBooks/oopResultsTitle.asp?userid=1DGLYQN0YR&mscssid=74BCW69LMD288JQAAF2UD6BBFQPWCNQ6&author=Abraham+Merritt%2CVirgil+Finlay+%28Illustrator%2 9&title=The+Ship+of+Ishtar&rstart=1&WID=157779" target="_blank">Here's the link.</a>

Happy hunting!

(Uh, did someone say Terry Pratchett?
biggrin.gif
)

Uncle Bill,

Yeah, I'm sure that's plenty of bullet to do the job that none of us want to do. Its funny. I read these gun magazines where experts rage back and forth about whether a .40SW or a .45 ACP has more one shot stops etc. etc. etc., and really when it comes down to it most of us wouldn't want to stand in front of a pellet gun at close range!
smile.gif
I just try and think about wall penetration--I use the least powerful round that will still stop em, and hopefully not go through 3 walls. Which is why my .44 mag is for targets only!
Rob

:
Novadak you're a sweetheart!!!!
Many, many, many thanks for the link!!!
We're off to a knife show in Little Rock tomorrow and Sunday, but I will order one when we get back.
I gotta get the rest of my stuff together tonight and shave before we leave in the morning. That will make do for the whole weekend. Sometimes being an ndn does have its advantages.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

------------------

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;---Yvsa-G@WebTV.net----&gt;®

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

I really should just let this thread die away. Can you believe how long it has been near the top? I just can't let that ammo selection by Bill pass unremarked though. I know he will just ignore me but I really don't like that ammo. I assume we are talking about 1950's - 1960's 158 gr. standard velocity round nose lead bullets? That used to be Department standard for many police. It led directly to many of today's more effective rounds because it had so many problems. Stopping power from a round that won't expand at all and which tends to produce a "self healing" wound is obvious enough. But the stupid things have a bad tendency to ricochet off any hard surface. So a cop who fired one down a street had to worry about them skipping off the pavement or low angle plate glass and going somewhere unintended. For home defense the primary liability (besides lousy stopping power) it that they penetrate hard materials _more_ than a more powerful hollow point would. No expansion and a round nose leads to multiple wall penetration when fired indoors.

Come on Bill there are better choices. What type of .38 is it? If it is rated for +P then you just go into a gun store and ask to see some HydraShoks. Little recoil, good power, lower hard material penetration. If you want "standard velocity" stuff then go with the NYC undercover load. Go to the gun store and ask to see Nyclad 158 gr. Hollow Point (full lead bullet, no jacket). They have worked for a lot of NYC police shootings.

Just trying to get you up to speed!

Gregg

It's not easy getting a bullet to expand out of a snubby even with +P ammunition; the short barrel limits velocity. I saw a post on another forum recently from somebody who seems to know what he's talking about on that issue but it's too late at night to go looking for it right now ... later....

Another approach is to use full wadcutters -- target ammunition. A full wadcutter makes a surprisingly wide wound channel without needing to expand, and target ammo is very pleasant to shoot in a snubby, with much less recoil and muzzle blast than hot +P ammo. That isn't just a matter of comfort ... it can improve your accuracy and the speed of follow-up shots, and if the bullet is just as effective ... it probably is about as effective as anything, from a snubby, and certainly more effective than round-nose. I understand where you're coming from, Bill, not wanting to change things that you know work, but you might want to give target ammo a try ... it certainly won't blow up your gun, that's for sure.

I should probably explain for non-gun buffs who might be following this thread -- a full wadcutter is a bullet with a flat nose. Imagine if you sharpened up a 38 caliber (9mm) rod and stabbed it all the way through somebody and out the other side ... wouldn't do him any good ... now imagine you don't sharpen it; you only round off the end ... that'd do more damage ... now imagine you don't even round the end of the rod, just leave it flat -- and yet you can still stab it all the way through him (you probably couldn't, but the gun can). That'd really smart, eh? That's what a wadcutter does.
biggrin.gif

Sorry if this is too gruesome for some....

------------------
-Cougar :{)
Use of Weapons

I was reading through this thread, and I think that someone needs to introduce a new topic into it. Everyone talking about the same thing on this thread, and it getting so long, well; I just got a little bored. Why doesn't someone introduce a new topic into this thread and spice things up a bit.

I'll stop whining now
smile.gif

A new topic? Okay ... um ... how about ... what a pain it is doing laundry? I have to do laundry tonight ... I should just shoot holes in all my clothes with target wadcutters and buy new clothes. Or hack up my old clothes with a khukuri ... you know, Bill is right: everything does relate to khukuries -- even laundry!

P.S. Do not show this post to your wives.

P.P.S. Sandi & Novadak and the rest of you ladies -- do not hack up your husband's clothes with a khukuri. Why should he get new clothes? Only hack up your own clothes -- and only the ones you don't like particularly. Then you can replace them with new clothes.

P.P.P.S. Maybe it would be better to shoot holes in them with target wadcutters instead. Then you can blame it on moths. Large moths ... HUNGRY moths ... moths that escaped from Three Mile Island after the nuclear accident there ... VORACIOUS GIANT MUTANT RADIOACTIVE MOTHS! They swarm people and eat the clothes right off your body! Coming soon to a theatre near you! X rated!

Gotta go brew more coffee -- anything worth doing is worth overdoing --

------------------
Use of Weapons

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cougar Allen:
P.P.S. Sandi & Novadak and the rest of you ladies -- do not hack up your husband's clothes with a khukuri. Why should he get new clothes? Only hack up your own clothes -- and only the ones you don't like particularly. Then you can replace them with new clothes.</font>

You forgot to mention: If you *are* going to hack up (shoot, burn, dissolve, etc.) your SO's clothing, by all means at least wait until the poor fellow has taken them off...
eek.gif

Still trying to find a shotgun that fits properly, closest I've found was an 870 Youth model. Confirms my theory that the only advantage to being smaller is fitting into airline seating.
tongue.gif

I can't remember a time without call waiting, but have an old bakelite rotary phone that I bought because it would no longer ring. Unfortunately, once I moved into my new apt., the phone magically regained its "voice" (note that these discoveries are only ever made at about 2 A.M.)..

I usually keep a bunch of hollowpoints around for those "Stercus, stercus, stercus, moriturus sum!" moments (trying to get the ammunition and Pratchett references into one sentence).
biggrin.gif

Mei-chan, acknowledging that thread drift happens
wink.gif

Harry.

Please update your thread Doing it right.... with Mei-Chan’s ...
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">... If you *are* going to hack up (shoot, burn, dissolve, etc.) your SO's clothing, by all means at least wait until the poor fellow has taken them off...
eek.gif
...</font>
Ah Moi (ie. that's the way Chinese called their daughter in Malaysia) --- I like your sense of humor
biggrin.gif
!

NEPAL HO!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Novadak:
You forgot to mention: If you *are* going to hack up (shoot, burn, dissolve, etc.) your SO's clothing, by all means at least wait until the poor fellow has taken them off...
eek.gif
</font>

That's a good point, and the same applies to shooting holes in your own clothes -- take them off first! Safety first....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Still trying to find a shotgun that fits properly, closest I've found was an 870 Youth model. Confirms my theory that the only advantage to being smaller is fitting into airline seating.
tongue.gif
</font>

A lot of women and shorter men use "youth" shotguns and apparently it doesn't embarrass them too much. A lot of men with smaller hands like the Smith & Wesson "Ladysmith" models and that embarrasses them so much they prevailed on Smith & Wesson to make the same guns without the Ladysmith logo -- LOL!
smile.gif

There are even special skis for women now. Apparently most of the companies making them just use different colors and a different model name, but at least one company is attempting to discover some difference between the way men and women ski....

Any plans to make special khukuries for women, Bill? You could just take some of the lighter models and sell them with pink scabbards ... or you could spend a million researching the way men and women swing a khukuri and see if you can discover any difference....

------------------
Use of Weapons

Back