Alright, what's going on here... Just got a DMT EF.

THG

I just got a DMT EF Diasharp stone. Previously I only had a DMT F stone (the polka-dotted 6x2 stones). With the F stone, I could get the knife very, very sharp. It would grab my nail with the slightest touch and make the cleanest cuts on paper.

Now I get this EF stone. I use the same sharpening method, and the edge won't grab by nail worth crap. And it won't cut paper if its life depended on it.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks.

But if I'm using the same method as I did for my F stone, wouldn't the edge have rolled there, too?

Maybe. I'v been in the same boat before, and that was all I could think that may have caused it.

I had similar problem. The knife seemed sharper after the fine stone, but less so after the extra fine. In my case the solution is lighter strokes.

Bring the edge back to sharp using the fine, then use the extra fine again, this time with light pressure.

iv also had the same problem>> able to get hir poppin sharp on fine stone but after a polish on the EF stone it seems to not catch hair...but with that said it wants to slice skin twice as good ... im thinkinh that with a polished finish some surfaces wont catch as goood but still supe sharp??? any opinions???

I had similar problem. The knife seemed sharper after the fine stone, but less so after the extra fine. In my case the solution is lighter strokes.

Bring the edge back to sharp using the fine, then use the extra fine again, this time with light pressure.

Try no pressure on these DMTs, just the weight of the knife. :)

That is my best guess also :cool:

Maybe give it a nice workout with some higher RC steels... ZDP.. S90V.. ect.

It could be... Because you know what else I noticed? The scratch marks actually don't look much finer than those of the F stone. Will the scratch marks become finer when after the stone is broken in?

I'll try that. I do use moderate pressure because it kinda helps me guide the blade while stroking.

A properly polished edge will shave effortlessly. Ideally you won't even be able to feel resistance as it cuts the hair.

A properly polished edge will shave effortlessly. Ideally you won't even be able to feel resistance as it cuts the hair.

Well, then this definitely isn't working. There is zero shine on my edge, but it ain't shaving crap. It'll cut paper, but there is dusty crap left all over the edge after each cut. I took down a box, and it ripped.

I'm pissed; I knew this wouldn't be a good investment when my F stone did perfectly fine :mad:

Its not the stone, its you. Its just a learning curve and the stone needing to break-in is part of it. The EF stone is not fine enough to yield the sharpness effects of a polished blade, though it is fine enough to make a very sharp hair popping blade. A way I have found to speed up the break-in process is to get a cheap ceramic knife from HF and spend a little time with the stones. Don't stop their though now you need to get the EEF stone to complete the set, yes it really is worth it.

I agree you need to break in the stone. Don't worry too much until then. Also, a very fine edge will roll but on a small scale, you may not "see" it.

But also be prepared for a very polished edge, which is not necessarily a nail-grabber, and will slide off some surfaces. Polished push-cuts, toothy slices. Polished shaves.

Its not the stone, its you. Its just a learning curve and the stone needing to break-in is part of it. The EF stone is not fine enough to yield the sharpness effects of a polished blade, though it is fine enough to make a very sharp hair popping blade. A way I have found to speed up the break-in process is to get a cheap ceramic knife from HF and spend a little time with the stones. Don't stop their though now you need to get the EEF stone to complete the set, yes it really is worth it.

If you have ever seen knifenut's edges you KNOW he knows his stuff. :thumbup:

DMT suggests water and dish soap, coat the stone with water add a drop of soap and spread around. I use this method more with the finer stones and the results are very good.

Nothing gives a better understanding than pictures :D

I used my JYD (CPM-D2 edge) as my test subject for the following photos. Starting the the DMT fine stone and finishing with 1 micron diamond compound you can see what is happening with each stone. These pics are of the cutting edge looking almost stright down. All pics are taken at 200x :eek: unless otherwise stated.

DMT fine
PIC039.jpg

DMT X-fine
PIC045.jpg

DMT XX-fine
PIC046.jpg

DMT XX-fine at 400x
PIC047.jpg

1 micron diamond compound
PIC048.jpg

At this point the edge will effortlessly whittle hair, pushcut papper, and start to tree top hairs. This edge was also done by hand using the soap and water method on the stones.

Hope these pic's help in some way.

Back