Alright, what's going on here... Just got a DMT EF.

Let me get this straight, you can actually polish the blade edge to a mirror finish?

How does one achieve that level of polish on the actual blade edge?

By progressively sharpening the blade at finer and finer grits until the scratches are so finely spaced that the edge looks like a mirror you get a mirrored bevel.

Mike

Is there a system like a spyderco sharpmaker but that has stones fine enough in grit to achieve said mirrored bevel?

Is there a system like a spyderco sharpmaker but that has stones fine enough in grit to achieve said mirrored bevel?

The Spyderco ultra fine stones will get you a really shiny edge, but I'm not sure about mirror-polish.

If you want mirror-polish, I think most people use 0.5 micron diamond paste to get that.

Personally, I stop at DMT EF.

My EF stone has been working very well now. I guess it was really the break-in period. I've always been impatient lol

The Spyderco UF stone will give you a mirror polish but there is always room for improvement. My UF ceramic is a little finer than others and gives a nice mirror polish but if you look close enough you can see that it is not perfect.

Picture469.jpg

Same edge looking a little closer and you can see that its not as mirrored as it looks.
Picture470.jpg

Now if you move on to a strop with compound it gets better but for a true mirror polish you will need to progress through strop compounds also, 1.0, 0.5, 0.25 micron.

I don't have any good pics of a perfect mirror polish but give me a bit and I put one up.

Back