And it begins, shop WIP

Love getting the updates from your build! You're way ahead of my build LOL.
Forgive my ignorance but what will you use the 50amp nema 6-50 outlets for? How big is your main panel?

I don't have anything super big, but thy are all wired with nema 6-50 plugs. I have a stick welder, plasma cutter and heat treat oven. My main panel in the shop is 100 amps. I could get away with 30amp breakers but I was thinking for in the future.

I really encourage you to put in a 200 amp panel. 100 amps sounds like a lot, but it is only 50 amps per leg. That isn't much.

First, it quickly adds up in lights and other high draw "background" equipment ( compressors, vacuum blowers, etc.). When you add the many low draw things you never think about, like a clock, radio, cell phone charger, computer, etc. It gets even higher. All this comes off the top before you switch on any piece of equipment.

Second, it doesn't take much to get up there with a HT oven going, a blown forge running, an angle grinder, a drill press, a sander, a mill, etc.

Third, even if you never plan on running more than 100 amps at a time, that is 50 amps per leg. You would have to carefully balance the equipment running to assure that you don't overload one side of the panel and trip the main breaker.

Fourth, wiring all those wall boxes and other circuits with 20-30 amp breakers will add up to three or four times the main breaker capacity. This is bad electrical wiring. I forget the code for how many amps of breakers you should put on a leg, but I suspect you would seriously go over it with a 100 amp box.

I only a have a 200 amp service to the meter and I did not know if I could go larger then 100 amp for a sub panel

For shop power, You need to read up on what max branch circuitbreaker is allowed of your mainpanel.
Then, Your shop circuit needs to be figured into your total calculated load on the mainpanel.

Fwiw, I say 100A is alot of power in a one man shop. But do your load calculations.

Btw, I still dont see electrical permit issued for your building...

I only a have a 200 amp service to the meter and I did not know if I could go larger then 100 amp for a sub panel

I would look at getting the main line increased, or a separate 200 amp metered line for the shop.

I really encourage you to put in a 200 amp panel. 100 amps sounds like a lot, but it is only 50 amps per leg. That isn't much.
Not so. Assuming a 100amp subpanel is supplied by 100amp circiutbreaker, 100amp total current is available. (100amp "per leg" if one views it that way.) Any combination of either across both "hots" or hot to neutral.
Btw, Thats just example of the numbers.
Real life scenario, one would only load to 80% on a continuous basis.

Last edited:
Having worked in several shops (including my current one) with lacking power, it's really not fun to deal with.

If I was to build a new shop, I'd get 400 amp service ran to it. Don't need to fill the panel or use everything right away, but you'll have more room for new circuits than you'll ever need.
After having to turn off the heat to start the dust collector and such, I'd want to be able to have everything in the shop running at once without any trouble

For power think ahead. Even if you don't think you'll need it now , in the future you may want more or bigger machines . Then it would be just plug in and go !

Well FedEx delivered the fixtures today, over 135lbs of light fixtures shipped from 1000bulbs for $18. I thought it had to be a mastake when I went to check out but if it was thy did not say anything. 12 8ft led ready fixtures that hold 4 4ft led tubes. The 48led tubes will be here tomorrow.
Photo%20Jun%2007%2C%2012%2032%2007%20PM.jpg

I got all the plywood for the roof up and the inspector will be out tomarrow.
Photo%20Jun%2005%2C%205%2049%2021%20PM.jpg

Starting to feal like a shop now and with the roof plywooded it gives a good sence of the size inside.
Photo%20Jun%2005%2C%205%2049%2043%20PM.jpg

I thought that you were in the PNW....not Down Under Mate?!!!! Or is this a BOAT Hull? Better check your prints...

Dang that's, still upside down gurrrr. I will fix it

Quote "I really encourage you to put in a 200 amp panel. 100 amps sounds like a lot, but it is only 50 amps per leg. That isn't much.
Not so. Assuming a 100amp subpanel is supplied by 100amp circiutbreaker, 100amp total current is available. (100amp "per leg" if one views it that way.) Any combination of either across both "hots" or hot to neutral.
Btw, Thats just example of the numbers.
Real life scenario, one would only load to 80% on a continuous basis. "

I agree with this poster. IT"S 100 AMP per leg. 100 amps is a lot of power for a single owner shop. If not more. The largest breaker you can put in a 200 amp panel is 100 amp. If you think you need bigger you need a separate service. It will cost you more because it's not considered "residential" per KW hour. You can safely use 80 amps PER LEG for continuous duty, 3 hours or more. Unless you go full production I can't see you using more than that. IF you do your gona need more building! JMHO.

200 amp would be mighty nice indeed... I had 100 amp for years at my old shop, which was fine although I did fill it up. Now I only have a 60 amp subpanel to my shop! Upgrading that is one of two or three main priorities for investment in the future, but for now it's manageable.
I have enough stuff in my shop that I could use 200 amp service, but you use what you have for the moment. Hookups are spendy- even though I can do all the work, it still needs signed off on and heavy wire and other infrastructure is quite expensive.

Them upside down pics made me a little seasick, but it looks to be going great! The roof and framing are always so dramatic after the cement work.

The inspector just finished and we passed with flying colors. Time to finish it up. Sorry I will flip thoes pictures.

These little beauties showed up the other day, 48 of them. Man thy are bright and the color rendering is really nice.
Photo%20Jun%2011%2C%2010%2021%2018%20AM.jpg

Photo%20Jun%2011%2C%2010%2020%2047%20AM.jpg

I'm slowly taking over the living room lol
Photo%20Jun%2011%2C%2010%2021%2049%20AM.jpg

Now this is a story all about how his shop got flipped turned upside down, and he'd like to take a minute just sitting right there to tell us how he became the prince of a town called Bel Air... Wait... thats not it
In all seriousness it looks good! I wish I had a place to build a shop like that.

Back