Anniversary Knife Contest!

WEll Pitdog, you saved me a wasted entry, I already like yours more than what I was going to submit! Back to the drawing! Exposed tang wold be good for breaking glass etc, and hammering the knife into // through something! Nice. I am possibly leaning toward a more off work hours design that includes a blade to cut limes, and a bottle opener for the Corona. Do you think a bottle opener cut out on the top of the blade would substanially weaken the knife?
Dan

Oh, And Good luck, I like it!

Thanks buddy. I don't think a bottle opener in the top would weaken the blade much as long as the notch is rounded and there are no square edges. You could always have an exposed tang with an oval cut into it as a bottle opener...it would mean drilling and filing for John though to do that.

The best part about making those was that I had to personally test each opener. It`s a dirty job, but someone had to do it!

Speaking of bottle openers.....

BBQ Set

t6dy8o.jpg

U.B.O.T.

2j4zomw.jpg

love the BBQ set. out of curiosity...on the UBOT...what is the back "fishtail"? is that a divot tool for golf? or is that a nail puller? thanks.

Hey John, Can I ask you what the specifics are again on this design, blade length, overall length, and what would you sell them for today?
Thanks
Dan

I think Pitdog beat me to it. But I'll post anyways. John...I took your Scout Jr (which i want btw) and shrunk it a bit to 8" overall. Then i took the end of the handle off of one of your hawks and slapped it on the Shrunken Scout Jr. I had this design in my head for a while now(hey...great minds think alike Pitdog).

The 9 plus inch Scout Jr was looks to be too large for regular patrol imo. It was already a Jr and now a shrunk it even more. And i'm still thinking it could be smaller than eight inches...???

Anyways here's my entry. Congrats on 4 years John.

patrolmansknife.jpg

The originals.....
hawk.jpg

scoutjr.jpg

Steve

Last edited:
Posted mine up above. Thanks for the chance and congratulations on 4 years John!

design 4.jpg

A-B=3" Convex edge, black micarta, white spacers, brass pins, 1/8"x1/2" lanyard slot and 1/8" jimping
B-C=1"
C-D=4"
B-E=2"
A-D=8"

If anyone can figure out how to make the pic bigger that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
hi guys. here's my idea for the 4th anniversary contest....congrats on 4 years of making awesome knives, john. pitdog, your design is pretty awesome.
Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 9.00.32 AM.png

I am definitely down for this one. I will post my design soon. Thanks for a great contest and Congrats on 4 years of amazing work.

I'm still working on my entry but then i had a thought (i dont get many so they stick out when they turn up), is this a strictly fixed blade contest? how about a friction folder design?

thanks for the kind words jeff. means a lot coming from ya considering you've designed a couple of nice knives that john makes as well!

Back