any bourbon drinkers here?

Waaay more then i like to spend on a bottle even at retail but what the heck! Trading fodder if nothing else. I am currently working on a bottle of ECBP for my heaven hill pour so these will stay sealed for now. I think the parkers heritage will be the first one cracked when the time comes;)

xdw5es.jpg

Last edited:
Waaay more then i like to spend on a bottle even at retail but what the heck! Trading fodder if nothing else. I am currently working on a bottle of ECBP for my heaven hill pour so these will stay sealed for now. I think the parkers heritage will be the first one cracked when the time comes;)

xdw5es.jpg
Trade?
For what?
Those are 2 tasty looking bottles!

as far as trading goes i will have to see how the remainder of bourbon season shapes up for me. If i score a WLW and ER17 to round out my antique collection (not likely) i will be on the hunt for the guy who scored two of one but missed the parkers and or EC23 and hopefully work something out. I have the lower hand here since heaven hill sells for more on the shelf and lower on the collectors market then the Antique collection. I am playing the market by ear at the moment and keeping my eyes peeled

xdw5es.jpg

They both look great, but I think I would like the Parker. Here is one you can only get at the distillery in Loretto, KY.

8ltLQyN.jpg

Maybe that particular stave combination; but one of my local shops has two different offerings
crqduV3.jpg

This was from my last trip to KY
ZzuyNkI.jpg

So I have recently started drinking Bourbon (about 8 weeks now) , What frequency do you all drink at, a nightly pour a few nightly pours etc?

It depends on a variety of factors...anywhere from 3-7 days/week, and usually just one/ day. Take the time to enjoy it... position the glass so you take in the aroma while you do whatever you're doing; take small sips - savor the mouth feel, the taste, and the finish.

i have a drink daily. some days is just a ounce or two others i have more but very rarely too much:)

a drink a day at mininum regardless

Last edited:
I finally sourced the Eagle Rare.
Enjoyable, but I prefer Buffalo Trace as a daily sipper. BT is also easier for me to find. So will go back to that when this is gone.

Last night, leisurely polished off a bottle of Knob Creek Reserve. Less than an ounce. (Fortuitously, I found it's replacement on sale for $30 a couple weeks ago at the supermarket.)
Slowly savored all the caramel, maple, vanilla, raisin, oak notes. I swear this stuff can BE dessert. Delicious.
When it was gone, poured a tiny splash of ER. All I could taste was the bitter wood.

Still trying to figure out what KC means by "Single Barrel" "Small Batch" - which is it? As I understand it, small batches of single barrel is still small batch...

Last night, leisurely polished off a bottle of Knob Creek Reserve.....
Still trying to figure out what KC means by "Single Barrel" "Small Batch" - which is it? As I understand it, small batches of single barrel is still small batch...
The "Knob Creek Reserve" you referenced, I'm guessing, is Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve. I don't recall the small batch having Reserve on the label...likewise, the small batch does not say Single Barrel on it. They're two different animals: Knob Creek small batch, and Knob Creek Single barrel...the small batch is 100 proof, and the single barrel is 120 proof.

Personally, FWIW, I like the Single Barrel far better (I'll only drink the small batch at a bar when there is nothing I like better...the I usually have a bottle of the Single Barrel at the house - one of the local shops selects their own barrel, so I usually buy that)

tjswarbrick tjswarbrick sorry to hear ER didnt work for you. If you look back in this thread i mentioned i get the classic bubblegum or the musky tobacco but the bubblegum is usally what i taste. Technically I believe eagle rare is still a single barrel even though it is not marked on the bottle so there could be a slight variances in them. Maybe the wood will tone down after a while once the new air in the bottle opens it up a little. When i find a bottle i am not crazy about i set it back for awhile and revisit later

tjswarbrick tjswarbrick sorry to hear ER didnt work for you. If you look back in this thread i mentioned i get the classic bubblegum or the musky tobacco but the bubblegum is usally what i taste. Technically I believe eagle rare is still a single barrel even though it is not marked on the bottle so there could be a slight variances in them. Maybe the wood will tone down after a while once the new air in the bottle opens it up a little. When i find a bottle i am not crazy about i set it back for awhile and revisit later

Thanks guys.

The KC is SBR. It still says "small batch" down low on the label, but it seems that's because it's from their "small batch collection." Regardless, it's my new favorite. When my grocer labeled it "discontinued" I really hope he just means at their location... (Or maybe they're awaiting next year's batch.)
Tried the regular 100 proof and really wasn't impressed.

I actually enjoy the ER. It only tasted like wood immediately following the KC SBR. I did read that about it not being labeled single barrel anymore. It's single barrel, but automated, so two barrels may mix at changeover. Therefore, your bottle may be "small batch."
When it's the only whiskey I've sipped in an evening, I like it quite a bit. Just not as much as the Buffalo Trace which, near me, is less expensive AND easier to find. Note that I don't list bubblegum or tobacco amongst flavors I actively seek. In anything. Although the latter can be desirable in a big red wine.
Still very much enjoying the journey!

Back to the Eagle Rare tonight.
Just a splash in a tiny snifter after my run.

I totally notice the bubblegum now!
I could be generous and call it rosemary, but the wood is really reminiscent of pine rosin.
All in all, not a bad dram and it will be enjoyed. But I probably won't pick up another.

Cool! The bubblegum is up front on the palate and nose for me but fades fairly quick and finishes with possibly the wood your getting. I will have a glass tonight and really pay attention and see if i cannot pick up on the wood a little more.

A couple of new bottles today.
I'm not a big KC fan... and even for those that aren't rye fans this High West offering is awesome!
7ygx4hM.jpg

LMK how you like the little book! Its on the shelves here but i have not picked it up yet as i have blown my bourbon budget on lucky happenstances. I think a friend is going to pick one up so i will have a taste eventually anyhow.

Finished my bottle of Baker's yesterday.
Not sure what I want to open next

Back