any bourbon drinkers here?

I am a Blanton's fan, but getting a bottle over here is damn near impossible. Our NEX Class VI store stocks Makers Mark, Knob and Woodford Reserve so not hurting too badly. :) Out on the economy I can get Bulleit and Four Roses.

I am a Blanton's fan, but getting a bottle over here is damn near impossible. Our NEX Class VI store stocks Makers Mark, Knob and Woodford Reserve so not hurting too badly. :) Out on the economy I can get Bulleit and Four Roses.

Those 5 are winners IMO! Is the available 4R the standard label or single barrel?

Im having some old grand dad BIB at the moment and every time i drink it i think "with this and makers mark im good" but im glad i have options:thumbup: i think im going to crack open some bookers for my next bottle. I just finished my buffalo trace and makers mark. OGD BIB and blantons are running low so my bar (tray) is ready for some new flavor. Ill have to see what i have doubles of as i do not crack a bottle unless i have a backup

I've tried a maybe dozen different bourbons but now drink Wild Turkey 101° exclusively. The more costly bourbons I tried were not worth the extra money.

You could try: A. Smith Bowman Distillery Virginia Gentlemen Bourbon Whiskey, Virginia, USA
I remember moving barrels full of whiskey for them in the ice and snow of Northern Virginia in the 1980's.
wTFj9x.jpg

Scored two bottles of Four Roses Limited Edition 2016 yesterday! Worth picking up if you can find it locally. If you can find it for a reasonable price I'd go for it. I paid 90 each which isn't cheap but as far as rare bourbons go....

10fae49fcdcb135e0dda749b354d1d54.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Check out Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig - both are generally under $30. Four Roses Small Batch is usually right around the $30 mark (less in some areas). For a few dollars more $29-35, depending on location, Henry McKenna Single Barrel is a good buy.

What he said. I've been a Buffalo Trace drinker for years now. Great stuff at a reasonable price. Sits right next to the Hendricks.

I like that Rowan's creek that adamcrawler has above. I think I scored that at local Costco. They had some four roses single barrel just after the holidays. I've been fortunate in getting to try many. For my buck at the current ($75 as of Saturday) Whistle Pig 10 is my favorite. I'm a rye fan anyways and that one I think is perfect to my palate, not overly sweet, warm without bite, smooth.

Eagle rare 10 is another you can usually find inexpensive. And I have gone through gallons of makers mark over the years. I just tried one this weekend called FEW. But at $55 not a bargain. Pretty good I thought though. My decanter is currently almost full from the two bottle of PVW 10 I managed to score. I think it is good at the list price. At the aftermarket price there's no way it's worth it. It will likely last me a good while as I was recently told by Doctor only one drink occasionally from now on. :( bastards. My wife must have sent them my bevmo receipts

Red

And TLE great taste in the Hendricks! I started drinking Hendricks many years ago when finding it was difficult, have introduced many people to it and it was what really got me started on gins, which although second to bourbons it's not by much. I'm actually challenging myself to come up w a gin Moscow mule after a friend told me today she doesn't drink vodka but wanted to try a mule. I'm thinking Tanqueray Rangpur, which has a lot of lime flavor would work great.

I had a party Saturday and did Mai tais, made my own Orgeat from scratch, they were a very big hit. Rum is one liquor I haven't spent as much time on and now have to remedy that. Gentleman what a fantastic world we live in. :)

Red

I just found this picture I meant to post up a couple of weeks ago.
The William LaRue Weller has been polished off and am absolutely suffering through the others...
4a64c0ac83412e173bde4a1aaed98edc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I just found this picture I meant to post up a couple of weeks ago.
The William LaRue Weller has been polished off and am absolutely suffering through the others...
4a64c0ac83412e173bde4a1aaed98edc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nice! Really wanting to get my hands in some of the antique collection. One day..

Whats your favorite out of that lineup?

Nice! Really wanting to get my hands in some of the antique collection. One day..

Whats your favorite out of that lineup?

The William Larue Weller.
Hands down favorite.
Issue is, they just need to make more of the stuff to keep the price reasonable.
I know the distributor price and what the stores are gouging for it.
Ridiculous markup.

Save your money and stick with Blanton's!

Woodford Reserve
Bulliet 10 year
Eagle Rare
These are all fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save your money and stick with Blanton's!

Woodford Reserve
Bulliet 10 year
Eagle Rare
These are all fantastic!

I've got those too but wish Blanton's was a bit more available.
Hard to find up here most of the time.

My budget pour is WL Weller most of the time.

I think the OP was looking for a good budget bourbon. Anyone else think Old Grandad 114 is a steal for low $20s?

Edit: just saw OGD was already mentioned.

Last edited:
I saw brief mention of rye. My go-to cheap whiskey has always been Seagram's 7.

As for bourbon, I can't readily recommend a good budget bourbon, seeing as the only bourbon I can stomach is Woodford Reserve.

Start a thread about scotch and I'll shoot the breeze all day :p

Weller's is a good poor. I will be visiting Buffalo Trace Distillery on Tuesday. I am so excited!

Double Oaked is also fantastic.

Russell's Reserve, Eagle Rare....OK. Woodford Reserve...OK. Expected more for the $. Daily pour , Bite the Bulliet, Devils Cut, Larceny. All smooth no after taste. Being snarky about top shelf....please.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Russell's Reserve, Eagle Rare....OK. Woodford Reserve...OK. Expected more for the $. Daily pour , Bite the Bulliet, Devils Cut, Larceny. All smooth no after taste. Being snarky about top shelf....please.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I do like the Devils Cut. Larceny not so much.

Ive settled on OGD bonded, wild turkey 101 and makers mark for my budget pours at this point. I find myself leaning towards 100 proof high rye mash bills more and more but makers mark will be my budget wheated pour unless weller becomes more available

I drink most untouched from the bottle but ive found that a splash of water in makers mark is very tasty! I havnt found this to be true with many others except henry mckenna BIB. I was able to get a few bottle of eagle rare recently and when my palate is right i get a nice classic bubble gum on the nose and palate otherwise i get slightly funky tabacco. Not a bad thing but i prefer the bubble gum. About to open a new bottle and see if the bubble gum is in a fresh open bottle then changes with time

Back