Any response to this? S35VN Related...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's keep this thread civil- please!!! Would be nice to have an accurate viewing/thread of this metal in Real World Use and the issues that arise?

What's wild is I have seen some crazy test of tire cutting, plastic drum stabbings and wood working etc... with no obvious signs of edge issues. However, does anyone have a clue to this yet? I know I haven't used mine hard at all "It's my EDC" and this is crazy!

Has anyone asked Chris/Team opinion on this?

[video=youtube;1JEXdescKfA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JEXdescKfA[/video]
[video=youtube;z1oq7PzjJkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1oq7PzjJkY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited:
Id like to see Chris Reeve's opinion although I already know what he would say :(

Seems to come down to - is your CRK S35vn knife holding up well for you?

If it isn't, get rid of it. If it is, don't worry about it.

A hgher HRC hardness would help that for sure.

Guess we will have to see how S35VN pans out on a larger scale as time goes on as more reports start coming in.

I only have one knife in S35VN and its an expensive custom so you get bet your ass I aint gonna be cutting power cable with it but what I would really like to know is, how the heck did he get his knife that sharp?

I only have one knife in S35VN and its an expensive custom so you get bet your ass I aint gonna be cutting power cable with it but what I would really like to know is, how the heck did he get his knife that sharp?

John has an Edge Pro. :)

I would like to point out that all steels will fail at some point, it's how they fail and or how long it takes to fail that really matters.

Typical failure will be as follows.

The edge will either chip or roll in the end and it really doesn't matter what steel it is, one or the other will happen.

I see no reason to rush out and get the new S35V knives. I'll let others test them first :)

Yep completely agree with you Ankerson... I like Jacksterp response as well- both very true. So far mine has been holding up fine. I sold my XM-18 3.5 and my Microtech and finally settled on my Large Sebbie 21. (So far so good and has only food prepped, boxes, light tasks etc...) I have tried to hold up the very rule of a knife is not a crow bar and to use the proper tool if one is around concept) = )

Thanks to all for keeping this civil = ) I have no hate or special interest towards any of these knife companies and it's nice to just see the "Every Day Use" along with honest non fan-boy of any brands being inserted... My Strider, My Hinderer, My CRK etc... anybody... just straight up S35VN... Mine just happens to be a Sebbie- Which I love so far...

Edge Pro. Check. ;)

Jim, I think you have the answer right there. I'm pretty sure Chris would rather the steel rolls than chips, (should it be pushed to that point of failure). Given that a rolled edge is a lot easier to restore.

I would like to point out that all steels will fail at some point, it's how they fail and or how long it takes to fail that really matters.

Typical failure will be as follows.

The edge will either chip or roll in the end and it really doesn't matter what steel it is, one or the other will happen.

Edge Pro. Check. ;)

Jim, I think you have the answer right there. I'm pretty sure Chris would rather the steel rolls than chips, (should it be pushed to that point of failure). Given that a rolled edge is a lot easier to restore.

I would believe that to be true, I would hope that Chris would rather have the edge roll than chip, if it's going to fail then that would be the best way for it to happen.

It's how fast that it seems to be happening that has gotten my attention, I still think a point in HRC hardness should slow that down without going the other way to chipping, something around 60 HRC or so maybe. I believe more testing is needed on S35VN to see what the sweet spot will be in the end.

I'm pretty sure Chris would rather the steel rolls than chips, (should it be pushed to that point of failure). Given that a rolled edge is a lot easier to restore.

I definitely think this could/would be a good reason... (EDIT... See Ankerson's post above)

The Zero Tolerance 550 is shipping now with s35v and I believe Thomas W is sending one to jdavis for testing. Kershaw has always been good with their heat treats so I'm very interested to see the results.

The Zero Tolerance 550 is shipping now with s35v and I believe Thomas W is sending one to jdavis for testing. Kershaw has always been good with their heat treats so I'm very interested to see the results.

Looking forward to that one also, Kershaw runs their S35VN pretty hard so it should do well I believe.

Awesome; this will be a good test to bring to the table as well... I know the Elmax was pretty nice as well. Also sold my 0551- Tried to rid everything down to one EDC. I know a knife lovers nightmare only having 1 knife. :p

Looking forward to that one also, Kershaw runs their S35VN pretty hard so it should do well I believe.

Per Thomas, future runs will be at 62hrc.

The thing with the Seb in my test is, it flattened out - even before AUS8 did. Is it really ok to expect this steel to not perform even as well as AUS8? It doesn't seem like that is normal, or desired to me.

Per Thomas, future runs will be at 62hrc.

The thing with the Seb in my test is, it flattened out - even before AUS8 did. Is it really ok to expect this steel to not perform even as well as AUS8? It doesn't seem like that is normal, or desired to me.

CS runs their AUS-8 hard for AUS-8 and it's really a strong steel to begin with so that wasn't surprising.

If Kershaw is running S35VN in the 62 HRC range it will turn out very well, sounds like they are already on top of the known issues and are addressing item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back