Any response to this? S35VN Related...

Status
Not open for further replies.
CS runs their AUS-8 hard for AUS-8 and it's really a strong steel to begin with so that wasn't suprising.

If Kershaw is running S35VN in the 62 HRC range it will turn out very well.

I don't know yet what hardness my sample will be, but I'll shoot you a PM when I know. :)

Thomas is really a good guy for doing this.

I'm not a "steel snob " guy...trying to learn though, but to me cutting thru wire power cord would dull or nick any steel right? Would S35 at a higher HRC range not exhibit the same issues as the sebbie in the video?

I once used my paramilitary 2 to cut thru a bunch of computer wires in an old hard drive tower i wanted to throw out, and it lost it's shaving edge really fast.

I'm not a "steel snob " guy...trying to learn though, but to me cutting thru wire power cord would dull or nick any steel right? Would S35 at a higher HRC range not exhibit the same issues as the sebbie in the video?

I once used my paramilitary 2 to cut thru a bunch of computer wires in an old hard drive tower i wanted to throw out, and it lost it's shaving edge really fast.

Did you watch the video? Cold Steel's AUS8 didn't get damaged at all, and it did more cutting.

A knife should be able to handle that no problem, especially at the geometry that I had the sebbie at. :)

Here I figured I'd just add it in.

[video=youtube;N5QVN_PoXfM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5QVN_PoXfM[/video]

This is disheartening given that S35VN is being touted as the eventual successor to S30V.

I'd really appreciate it if Chris himself could stop by and maybe address this. I know he worked with Crucible personally to create S35VN so I'm sure he has some insight he could share.

Yes, i watch all of them:) Glad i have all S30 blades...hope they get this figured out.

Yes, i watch all of them:) Glad i have all S30 blades...hope they get this figured out.

Ok cool. I wasn't trying to sound rude if I came off that way. I really do wish that I had gotten the S30V versions, but I am not totally dissatisfied with my 4 S35VN versions. I still have the sebenza I tested in my pocket. I can deal with having to sharpen the blade more often.

It's the hype this steel is getting that bugs me. At this hardness it is no where near the performance of the S30V blades.

Holy cow!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek:

Seeing both tests back to back like that makes it hard to ignore the superior performance of AUS8 when compared to s35vn. It is not what I would have expected.

I think this demonstrates that indeed there is an issue that needs to be resolved.

I would like to point out that all steels will fail at some point, it's how they fail and or how long it takes to fail that really matters.

How do you think an older BG-42 Sebenza would hold up in that test? A friend of mine here who is a huge Sebenza collector swears that the BG-42 blades are better than S30V. I am very interested to hear your opinion.............Steven

Seeing both tests back to back like that makes it hard to ignore the superior performance of AUS8 when compared to s35vn. It is not what I would have expected.

I think this demonstrates that indeed there is an issue that needs to be resolved.

Exactly. CRK's always have fantastic geometry for slicing and EDC uses but running a steel soft is going to kill cutting performance. There is no sense in using S35Vn when Aus 8 at less than half the cost and is going to out perform it. CRKs are supposed to be the pinnacle of the production folder, why is the steel being downgraded and the price being kept the same? For as expensive and well constructed CRK's are, better steel or at least a better heat treat should be used. A knife made from AUS 8 should never out perform a $400+ CRK made from S35VN.

If you aren't paying for cutting performance than what are you paying for? Low manufacturing tolerances?

Running S35VN much harder at say 62 would probably fix alot of problems but IMO, the prices of CRK knives should go down if we are getting a downgraded steel with less performance. S35VN may be a fine steel and be popular down the road but remember it was designed for the manufacturer, not the user.

How do you think an older BG-42 Sebenza would hold up in that test? A friend of mine here who is a huge Sebenza collector swears that the BG-42 blades are better than S30V. I am very interested to hear your opinion.............Steven

It would hold up as well as S30V, performance would be about the same give or take.

AUS-8 would have done better than S30V at that same hardness... 58-59 RC.

I want to know why Ankerson hasn't tested Strider's S35VN. You're a popular guy, surely you have friends who would lend you one of theirs, if you didn't own any yourself. Don't see why the focus is solely on CR, and not testing other big names using S35VN. It's funny to me when people assume it'll be good because they use PB HT. Yet, seems to me, not too long ago CR's quality was unquestioned also. Just saying, I'd like to see the other brand's S35VN in this price bracket tested. Not conjecture.

I want to know why Ankerson hasn't tested Strider's S35VN. You're a popular guy, surely you have friends who would lend you one of theirs, if you didn't own any yourself. Don't see why the focus is solely on CR, and not testing other big names using S35VN. It's funny to me when people assume it'll be good because they use PB HT. Yet, seems to me, not too long ago CR's quality was unquestioned also. Just saying, I'd like to see the other brand's S35VN in this price bracket tested. Not conjecture.

I've done Spydercos S35VN, it failed in the exact same way. (edge retention test)

ThomasW is sending me a new ZT 550 in S35VN to test also. CRK just so happen to be one of the first to implement the steel, so of course it was the first to be tested. No tin foil conspiracy here.

I don't think you can call it conjecture when the same test is applied to two different steels and one obviously performs better than the other. I would expect S35VN to perform better than AUS8!!

I agree that testing other brands currently using S35VN will add more credibility and it sounds like that is happening soon enough.
EDIT TO ADD: I just saw the previous post by Ankerson where he mentions that a Spyderco with S35VN failed in the same way.........

Houston, we have a problem :eek:

Note to self; don't cut electric cable with a knife. :rolleyes:

Just to confirm, CTS, you measured the edge angles and thickness behind the edge and the Cold Steel was thinner?

Also, as a reply to another post, I've cut electrical cord with 1055 and not had any damage. And that was chopping through it, not press cutting like here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back