Anybody fish with "vintage" gear?

I finally got around to taking pictures of the DAM reel I picked up yesterday. The more I play with this, the more I appreciate how
well made these really are, and I really like the simple, understated, utilitarian look too...

I'm waiting for a seller to respond to a couple questions on a 110N. If all is well, that will be the next addition :D
I have never seen a 110 in person, but I am hoping it will be very similar in size to my favorite Mitchell, the 308/408 series.

IMG_20160716_171651356_zpsrkvzuy5y.jpg

IMG_20160716_171635130_zpsqjeqkjit.jpg

IMG_20160716_171416591_zpsja77kpoq.jpg

IMG_20160716_171459240_zpsngwhtvjt.jpg

IMG_20160716_171440312_zpsxffkubb0.jpg

Dumb question about the DAM Quick reels. It looks to me like they are left hand retrieve. Is it possible to change that?

Dumb question about the DAM Quick reels. It looks to me like they are left hand retrieve. Is it possible to change that?

Most of them can be switched Mack. I'm still learning about these, but I think all of them can be switched, with the exception of the Finessa series, which is what mine is.

My wife has two 330 series reels that aren't the Finessa model, and both of hers can be switched. The other difference is the A/R levers.
On the Finessa reels, there is a small chrome lever on the bottom of the reel just behind the spool housing.
The other versions have a small lever on the side. These are a three position system and they have a neutral position that freewheels in either direction,
which is something else I haven't noticed on other brands of reels.

I grabbed one of the wife's reels and took a couple quick pictures. All you have to do to move the handle to the other side is, remove
the three screws on the handle housing side, and make the switch. Those of us who have severe OCD would have made sure to put the medallion back on
so the words were positioned correctly. I guess the previous owner didn't know that :D

These are crappy pictures, but if you look close, you can see the difference in the A/R levers on hers, compared to mine. It's the small red lever between the handle
and the fish emblem... I actually kinda like the lever on hers better.

IMG_20160717_011742539_zpsgojh4m7g.jpg

IMG_20160717_011802851_zps4ekib0gh.jpg

Last edited:
Good to know. Thanks, Mike.

I'm waiting for a seller to respond to a couple questions on a 110N. If all is well, that will be the next addition :D
I have never seen a 110 in person, but I am hoping it will be very similar in size to my favorite Mitchell, the 308/408 series

The 110 is almost identical in size, it might be heavier though IIRC. I had several of the Quick reels over the years and they are tough. I still have a minty 221, but it's so dang heavy I don't fish it. The Abu series built for Zebco were equally tough gearing wise.

The 110 is almost identical in size, it might be heavier though IIRC. I had several of the Quick reels over the years and they are tough. I still have a minty 221, but it's so dang heavy I don't fish it. The Abu series built for Zebco were equally tough gearing wise.

Sorry, I thought I replied to your post earlier :eek: I didn't get the 110 I was looking at, but am still looking. Fortunately there is no shortage
of them on the market.
Thanks for the info, I am also looking at the 221's. And the 441's, and the 550's, and..... Well, you get the idea :D
I'm thinking for actual use, the slightly larger 221 may be a better choice than the 110 series, but I will still get a 110.
My game plan is to get one of the standard versions in each size, as well as the high speed version of each as well...

Gee, that sounds super. Oh yeah, that's another series you need. :D

This was a good weekend for scoring on fishing stuff... Just what I needed was more fishing stuff, but I can't pass up
really good buys on quality gear.

Yesterday the wife and I stopped at an Estate Sale, and in the corner of the shop was an almost mint condition
vintage Wright McGill Grainger Steelie 8ft. spinning rod with a Mitchell 301 reel on it.
I'm surprised it was still there because the sale started on Friday. It had a price tag of $25 on it, but yesterday was half price day :D
I still need to take a couple pictures of the rod.

I found this almost mint condition Penn 716 at one of the local pawn shops. It is going to be used with a vintage Wright McGill
travel rod that I was recently given by another member...

IMG_20160724_133410261_zps1tkylqiz.jpg

IMG_20160724_133440795_zpsi39pa8vm.jpg

These next two reels were found at a garage sale. The wife and I were out driving around on Sunday, and as we went by a house, she said, Garage Sale
and I saw some fishing poles, so we went back. I'm glad we did :D Both of these reels were dirty, but function perfectly, and with just a little cleaning
they both look almost like new.

This is an older Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6501C3. The only thing wrong with it is it is missing the cover for the handle nut, but I
already have one I found on ebay, on the way. It added a whopping $4.95 to the original price of $3..

IMG_20160724_133124263_zpsi2wacq2o.jpg

IMG_20160724_133151422_zps7jermzfw.jpg

This one is a Penn 320GT2. This one hadn't been used for awhile, and it had a little corrosion around the line guide, but it is the only bad spot
on the reel. Still worth the $5 I paid for it :D

IMG_20160724_133026266_HDR_zpsinusqrqn.jpg

IMG_20160724_133014268_HDR_zpsg8yfaetd.jpg

Thanks. I knew there was something missing :D

That's a great picture and a nice looking setup

Thanks! I have since acquired a couple vintage Medalist click and pawl reels for this rod. I really get a kick out of it when other anglers wander over to get a closer look when they see me catch a fish. Most guys on the flats around here have a hard time catching Bonefish so they think $2000.00 worth of gear is going to help them. They just stand there scratching their heads when they see my rig! lol!

I know a lot of shark fishermen value vintage penn senators especially the elusive and highly sought 14/0

I know a lot of shark fishermen value vintage penn senators especially the elusive and highly sought 14/0

I was just looking at those. Oh, my!
I have absolutely no need for one but I want one.

I used to use a couple of 14/0 senators on my canoe. The sound of those clickers going off with a big Marlin will weaken the knees of even the saltiest when your boat is smaller than the fish...
f36da260a988384a9a8631cee92de0d1.jpg

4eacb1cbe675a5ba544ecdf84b36a4ed.jpg

I used to use a couple of 14/0 senators on my canoe. The sound of those clickers going off with a big Marlin will weaken the knees of even the saltiest when your boat is smaller than the fish...
f36da260a988384a9a8631cee92de0d1.jpg

4eacb1cbe675a5ba544ecdf84b36a4ed.jpg

Damn.... That is a serious fishing boat :D

I was absolutely shocked this morning. The post office delivered this completely out of the blue.

13653008_1193263034058519_480794682021009027_o.jpg

Thank you, Mike. I'm speechless.

I was absolutely shocked this morning. The post office delivered this completely out of the blue.

13653008_1193263034058519_480794682021009027_o.jpg

Thank you, Mike. I'm speechless.

You're welcome Mack. She isn't mint condition, but it's the nicest one I have found, and she has a lot of life left in her...
I couldn't help myself, so before I sent it, I took it apart and cleaned it, and gave her a good lube job, and moved the handle to the wrong side for you :D

You're welcome Mack. She isn't mint condition, but it's the nicest one I have found, and she has a lot of life left in her...
I couldn't help myself, so before I sent it, I took it apart and cleaned it, and gave her a good lube job, and moved the handle to the wrong side for you :D

I noticed that. Thank you again. I have a 10' Wright McGill that it will be perfect for. I can't wait to try it out. Hmmmm, salmon or rockfish...

I noticed that. Thank you again. I have a 10' Wright McGill that it will be perfect for. I can't wait to try it out. Hmmmm, salmon or rockfish...

Wow, way cool. That'll be something else. Nothing like a classic to fish with. Maybe that can be an excuse?? :p:thumbup:

Back