Anybody fish with "vintage" gear?

I used to use a couple of 14/0 senators on my canoe. The sound of those clickers going off with a big Marlin will weaken the knees of even the saltiest when your boat is smaller than the fish...
f36da260a988384a9a8631cee92de0d1.jpg

4eacb1cbe675a5ba544ecdf84b36a4ed.jpg

That looks like a blast to take out for some saltwater fishing. I bet that is a blast. This is making me want to go out fishing sometime this summer. I'll have to take my gear out one of these days. I have a few of my grandfather's Shakespeare reels and some old gear from him (C.1940-1970's). I've taken those out a few times.

Getting this combo together, redid the rod with new guides and modern spacing. Rod is a 56-59 model 8100L, tubular glass light action 6' St. Croix. Great little rod and only weighs 4oz, very light for its age!

The reel has been gone through and everything inside refreshed. It's a nice smooth little reel.

20160403_215724_zpstqddneuh.jpg

-Xander
Beautiful. I also have an old Shakespeare recurve bow from the mid 1900's. Close to sixty years old now and still going strong. Shakespeare had a company in Michigan. The old Shakespeare archery and fishing company is located right across the street from the company my Father works at. I would be willing to post up some pictures of it on here if anyone is interested. The building is now called Shakespeare's Pub and is a local restaurant in Kalamazoo, MI. They serve burgers, steak, salads, and spirits. Not a bad place. My grandfather's reels where all Shakespeare, and I have a few of their vintage rods as well. :thumbup::thumbup:

I noticed that. Thank you again. I have a 10' Wright McGill that it will be perfect for. I can't wait to try it out. Hmmmm, salmon or rockfish...

Both :D That will make a great combination. Hopefully it will be good luck for you

Both :D That will make a great combination. Hopefully it will be good luck for you

Combination? You mean like a DAM Quick 110 and a Wright and McGill Trailmaster 4tms? :D

13653312_1193923470659142_7835511448644268024_o.jpg

These things multiply worse than rabbits.

Combination? You mean like a DAM Quick 110 and a Wright and McGill Trailmaster 4tms? :D

13653312_1193923470659142_7835511448644268024_o.jpg

These things multiply worse than rabbits.

Indeed they do.... :D That looks great. I'm guessing the 110 has the A/R lever mounted on the side plate next to the crank, because
I don't see the chrome A/R lever on the bottom, so you should be able to switch the handle to the other side.

The AR lever is on the plate. Inside it looks like there is a c clip and screw attaching the handle to the main gear. I could change it over but I think I'm going to use this to learn how to fish right wrong handed.
I spooled it up with some flourocarbon and I'll try it out next weekend.

Me thinks you need to change the locomotion piece (part that connects the main shaft to the main gear) to change from left to right. (?) Extra piece used to come in the box with the reel. Simple job, but requires the part.
The N series is not reversible,

Good to know. Thank you, Brad. If you see any of these coming through your shop, you know who to call.

Here are the latest additions to the Wright McGill "collection"...

7 foot Denco Super II with a Wright McGill 325 reel...

IMG_20160803_180926492_zpsw09k0ltl.jpg

IMG_20160803_180911203_zpsouihzvab.jpg

8 1/2 foot Grainger Steelie...

IMG_20160803_181016048_zps6m2wt6wl.jpg

IMG_20160803_181056808_zpslpt08xcv.jpg

And a 7 foot Champion with a Penn 209...

IMG_20160803_181902000_zpsxrpciv4q.jpg

IMG_20160803_181813862_zps5dm0p9jp.jpg

Todays trip to the local pawn shop turned out to be a good one. I found this old Reeder McGill rod. It is in excellent condition, and had just been put out for sale...

It's a custsom rod, with some cool history. I had read about these rods, but never actually seen one. Here is some info I found on these rods on the interweb.

1. Fiberglass blank, purchased at Shoff's Tackle in Washington.
(Owned by Clarence Shoff, inventor of the Patented "Shoff Mouse"
lure in the 1930's, and later a Principal in Lamiglas).
2. The blank was built, by Lamiglas.
3. The blank was purchased, by a Mr. Reeder.
4. Reeder was partners, with Mr. Gill (who later moved to Denver and helped form the infamous "Wright & McGill" company).
5. It was fitted, with a handle and ferrules, and the guides possibly hand wrapped, by the "Reeder & McGill" company.
(did they have machines to do the thread wraps back then?)
6. It's a "Regil" series, 2-piece, 7.60' Steelhead rod.
7. Made in Vancouver, WA.

IMG_20160803_181519746_zpsu1jmktz1.jpg

IMG_20160803_181550245%202_zpsv0avukle.jpg

IMG_20160803_181559858%202_zpscwmumni4.jpg

IMG_20160803_181642170_zpsvhowfzn8.jpg

Mike, that is seriously cool. To say that I'm jealous is the understatement of the decade.

I found what I thought was a great deal on a DAM Quick 220. It looks fantastic and seems to work perfectly as well. It was spooled with old mono line so I took the line off. That's when I found the cracked spool. Aaaaaarghhh!

Damn, that Reeder rod is an awesome find!

I scored an almost vintage rod today, it's not terribly old but they are now considered ancient technologically. I got a Cortland GRF 1000 7' two piece 3-4 wt fly rod. These were made in the USA and all graphite, but they have an action like a fiberglass rod, very parabolic. Normally I wouldn't buy a soft action rod, but for a 3-4 wt rod, that action will actually work very well!

-Xander

Damn, that Reeder rod is an awesome find!

I scored an almost vintage rod today, it's not terribly old but they are now considered ancient technologically. I got a Cortland GRF 1000 7' two piece 3-4 wt fly rod. These were made in the USA and all graphite, but they have an action like a fiberglass rod, very parabolic. Normally I wouldn't buy a soft action rod, but for a 3-4 wt rod, that action will actually work very well!

-Xander

Thanks. I have another very early Wright McGill All American spinning rod on the way. It's supposed to be mint condition and here in the
next couple days...
I know technology has changed a lot over the years, but the stuff that worked 50-60 years ago still works fine today as long as it is good condition.
Plus, the old stuff has character. The new stuff all looks the same for the most part.

I bought a spool for the 220 and it turned out to be a 220n. Arggggh!
I did find a guy that has a ton of parts and knowledge to share. I'm sending him the 220n spool and he's sending me a 220. That will make me happy.

Mike, thanks again for the DAM big reels. They will catch some fish.:thumbup:

I bought a spool for the 220 and it turned out to be a 220n. Arggggh!
I did find a guy that has a ton of parts and knowledge to share. I'm sending him the 220n spool and he's sending me a 220. That will make me happy.

Mike, thanks again for the DAM big reels. They will catch some fish.:thumbup:

You're welcome Mack.... That worked out good being able to make a trade on your spool.

I used to collect old Coleman lanterns years ago. These days I come across some older lures while metal detecting in the water.

I used to collect old Coleman lanterns years ago. These days I come across some older lures while metal detecting in the water.

My wife got into collecting the old Coleman lanterns awhile back. She has been able to find some very cool old versions, but she just got her most
prized additions a couple weeks ago...
She snagged a couple old Coleman gas table lamps. The kind that people used inside their houses back in the day. Both are in very good condition and
still have the original shades.
She grew up around antiques. Her parents and her had a shop out in Coburg Oregon for quite a few years, and with all of the things
that they had over the years, she had never actually seen one in person, so she was ecstatic when she found these. Thankfully the people that were running the estate sale
where she bought them, didn't have any idea what they are actually worth, because I'm sure they would have came home a twice the price :D

Nothing wrong with finding old lures. Heck, finding anything old is great... My aunt and uncle lived on the beach on the Oregon coast most of their lives, and when I was a young kid, I would go down there with my grandparents and stay for the weekend once in a while. It was really cool back then because we always found things on the beach.
It was almost guaranteed to find at least one of the old glass floats as well as other things. One time I came back home with 5 or 6 various sized floats. I still need to get all of them out of the box and bring them in the house. I packed all of them up when we moved, and haven't unpacked them yet.

The antique mall in Coburg is where I find a lot of my stuff. Small world.

Back