Anyone EDC Only a SAK?

I've got an alox classic(used to have alox rambler) on my keychain always and lately carry an alox Pioneer off and on. Sometimes I really like having a clipped knife and one handed openers are very fun to play with. BUT, when it comes down to utility and real world use, I look at my dedicated knives and they are really outshined by my Pioneer. So i guess all of that to say, no not strictly a SAK but I could definitely VERY easily go SAK only.

Last edited:
All that might be true of the "full size" SAK scissors, but my experience with the Classic sized ones is they are very limited in what they can handle. Toenail clipping can be quite a challenge, and even mustache trimming is like one or three whiskers at a time. My Rambler is useful for all kinds of small chores, but the scissors are a very last resort, and even then often inadequate.

Even though not a whole lot bigger, the regular SAK scissors are much more versatile.

As for the saw, I agree when it is those on the 91/93 mm models, but I use the one on my OH Trekker a whole bunch. Purpose made portables, like my 7 and 10 inch Coronas, are much better. I carry them on my belt when doing "serious" yard work, but when I'm not in full yard work mode but need one (most of the time,) the OH Trekker saw that is always with me does the job well enough.

Toenail clipping and moustache trimming with the same pair of scissors?:eek:

I have been rocking my own version of the Nessmuk trio, not for camping but for daily use. My Case peanut, which was a gift from Carl, and which I found is very versatile, especially for someone with my clumsy ham hock hands (Damascus and amber bone, a bit of pocket jewelry if you will). I was carrying my black alox Pioneer, but I bought an olive alox Cadet and an olive alox Farmer from a member here. I thought I would put the Cadet on the chopping block, and while I prefer the punch on the Farmer for use, the Cadet disappears in my shorts pockets during these waning days of summer. Last, is a small fixed blade, a modified Kephart with a 3" blade, made by Scott Gossman. I cheat, I have a blue alox Classic on my keyring which is used to clean my fingernails and cut packages at work, so people don't freak out (no one freaks out over a cute little classic, everyone wants to know where they can get one).

I don't need all of that, I can't carry all of that where I work, 2.5" blade rule and all that, no fixed blades or SAKs at work. Outside of work, I have quite a few slipjoints and a Sebenza Insingo sitting in my truck that don't see any use. My machete, an ESEE 6, a Condor Hudson Bay, another Gossman modified Kephart with a 3.5" blade, a Blind Horse boat tail flat grind. A big Estwing axe (James Nowka said he has one in his Jeep, he lives in Michigan, I'm in Maryland, not much need for one, but hey, I can have it, I'm carrying it).

If I wasn't addicted to knives, I'd be driving a 2016 truck instead of a 2003, and wouldn't be afflicted with all of these knives.

But for the most part, I've found that my peanut, Kephart one off, Cadet and Classic are seeing the most use. I'd be fine with the peanut and cadet.

OCD and ADHD have not been diagnosed, maybe KND, or knife nut disease. Now I'm on the hunt for an alox olive green Pioneer (I don't know why I can't get along fine with the black alox Pioneer). That worn down look of used alox, with the silver spots showing through here and there, you can have the red handles ;)...

Toenail clipping and moustache trimming with the same pair of scissors?:eek:

If I wasn't addicted to knives, I'd be driving a 2016 truck instead of a 2003, and wouldn't be afflicted with all of these knives.

Guess I'm not as sanitary as some, but I am not a SAK scissors fan anyway. So I have separate tools.

You should try driving a 1997 truck? I have nearly grown grand kids that were born after than. That said, I love that truck and I'll drive it until it becomes undependable and probably a bit past that point as well.

Toenail clipping and moustache trimming with the same pair of scissors?:eek: ...

What? I'll bet you are one of those guys washes his hands before a meal even when they are not dirty. I say clippings is clippings.

hm. There could be some truth to that. But I'm not addicted to knives, and I drive a 1993 car. I guess we all have our quirks, though.

But for the most part, I've found that my peanut, Kephart one off, Cadet and Classic are seeing the most use. I'd be fine with the peanut and cadet.

And I mean this kindly: Fat Chance! Truly, I mean this kindly.

OCD and ADHD have not been diagnosed, maybe KND, or knife nut disease. Now I'm on the hunt for an alox olive green Pioneer (I don't know why I can't get along fine with the black alox Pioneer). That worn down look of used alox, with the silver spots showing through here and there, you can have the red handles ;)...

OTOH, I prefer red handles. Those are part of the SAK experience, in my view. I wouldn't have one in any other color.
It does take all kinds, doesn't it? :D

In my pocket right now I have only an SAK Trekker / German Army Knife. Does that count?

Zieg

In my pocket right now I have only an SAK Trekker / German Army Knife. Does that count?

Zieg

Why would it not? I would never wish to impose my preferences on someone else. Just because I'm a red kind of guy doesn't mean I expect others to think the same. Each of us to our own bad taste, I always say :D .

(Besides, and just between you and me, I have an OH Trekker in my pocket even now as I type these words. I'm depending on you to keep this to yourself ;) .)

During the work week I carry just a Pioneer X. The scissors comes in quite handy in an office environment.

When I'm going really light on my edc my wallet has an executive in it and my keys have a rambler. So whether I have just my wallet or wallet and key I always have a vic sak.

Why would it not? I would never wish to impose my preferences on someone else. Just because I'm a red kind of guy doesn't mean I expect others to think the same. Each of us to our own bad taste, I always say :D .

(Besides, and just between you and me, I have an OH Trekker in my pocket even now as I type these words. I'm depending on you to keep this to yourself ;) .)

Your secret is safe! But I'd like to find traditional red scales for this thing. One of the best things about an SAK is the reassurance that the red scales and white cross give onlookers.

Zieg

Your secret is safe! But I'd like to find traditional red scales for this thing. One of the best things about an SAK is the reassurance that the red scales and white cross give onlookers.

Zieg

I haven't made the comparison, but do you suppose that any of the red 111 mm Vic replacement scales might also fit the OH Trekker?

Not alone, but could live with it if I had no other choice

CAM04862_zpsjrqwbcnc.jpg

CAM04852_zpsxunxblh6.jpg

CAM04873_zpsydrlvlnm.jpg

There are at least a couple days during the week where I only have a Classic, because my toddler sleeps in the bed with us sometimes, and I'll be dammed if I wake her up rummaging for a pocket knife.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

As I age (just turned seventy-five) I still carry a knife all the time but find that I now favor a customized Victorinox over the excellent Spydercos that I carried for at least a couple of decades. The Vic is a re-handled (with thin stainless slabs) Electrician that has only the tools I need regularly (large and small blades, awl and screwdriver/caplifter) and it's slim in my pocket. The surprising thing is that I use a 1AAA LED flashlight as often as I use the knife. The light is very helpful and that's undoubtedly a function of my aging eyes!

As I age (just turned seventy-five) I still carry a knife all the time but find that I now favor a customized Victorinox over the excellent Spydercos that I carried for at least a couple of decades. The Vic is a re-handled (with thin stainless slabs) Electrician that has only the tools I need regularly (large and small blades, awl and screwdriver/caplifter) and it's slim in my pocket. The surprising thing is that I use a 1AAA LED flashlight as often as I use the knife. The light is very helpful and that's undoubtedly a function of my aging eyes!

Buckthorn, we seem to be of very similar vintage, and I know of what you speak!

My small flashlights are as important to me as my pocket knife that is part of my daily carry since grade school. As much as I would feel out of sorts without a pocket knife onme, my little AAA Fenix is used so many times a day AND night for looking in back of cabinets, back of closets, under car seats, that I'd feel just as lost without my flashlight as without my pocket knife.

Since my wallet and keyring are always with me, I'll at least have my Vic classic and Fenix E01 at hand, no matter what else is or isn't along that day.

15291393618_5c8eef339f_c.jpg
[/url]

I suspected I wasn't the only one in this situation Carl. You've confirmed that. Now I'm just as likely to give a flashlight as a gift as a pocketknife. Never thought it would come to this but i also never imagined fountain pens would replace my obsession with knives. I expect to never stop carrying a pocket knife-it's just that the primary focus of my collecting hobby (habit?!) has changed. Now I'm more likely to follow the Fountain Pen Network as Bladeforums or the Spyderco forum. I'd better stop here or i will have hijacked this thread! To get back to the main theme, just last night as we were getting ready to attend a monthly benefit dinner and I was changing from my work jeans to my new pristine pair I looked at my Delica (a fine knife) and thought about carrying it just for a change but, no, I opted for one of the customized Electricians!

I suspected I wasn't the only one in this situation Carl. You've confirmed that. Now I'm just as likely to give a flashlight as a gift as a pocketknife. Never thought it would come to this but i also never imagined fountain pens would replace my obsession with knives. I expect to never stop carrying a pocket knife-it's just that the primary focus of my collecting hobby (habit?!) has changed. Now I'm more likely to follow the Fountain Pen Network as Bladeforums or the Spyderco forum. I'd better stop here or i will have hijacked this thread! To get back to the main theme, just last night as we were getting ready to attend a monthly benefit dinner and I was changing from my work jeans to my new pristine pair I looked at my Delica (a fine knife) and thought about carrying it just for a change but, no, I opted for one of the customized Electricians!

Yeah, it's funny how things change as we get older.

Just to keep the thread on track, my dress knife is my old Wnger SI. I figure the silver alox is as dressy as I need, and the bottle opener has been handy at dress affairs. The Peak Kino bay is my 'heavy duty flashlight for when I know I'm going to be out at night. The AA Kino Bay gives a heck of a throw of light, and the bulk is still small enough to fit in dockers or the pocket of a sport coat.

15243047207_6ee4415acc_c.jpg
[/url]

Hi all. Forum newbie here. :)
I feel ok carrying just the SAK in my pocket. In fact my minimum carry at any given time is just the set pictured below. :) i do carry other gear but this is the absolute must in my mostly urban existence.
The 84mm format is my favorite format along with Wenger's 85mm. Both extremely pocket-carry-friendly
429df8b96aa3b9f64d2d33ba4bafae3b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back