Badass Machetes!! modded by Fiddleback

I have five of these currently. They'll come available soon. $85 is going to be the price.

I think I found what I'm getting for Christmas...:cool: Taking names? :D

Not yet. We're considering switching models to the 18" version, or at least, adding the 18" version.

Thought I'd ask anyway! Geez...how many of these did Joe find? :eek: Cool beans that there's the possibility of 18-inchers. :thumbup:

Thanks for teaming up with Joe on this project! It's not often that something this cool gets to happen, ya' know?

lovely work, brother.

i am surprised that the 3/8" micarta didn't come through.

did you re-profile the handle or did you just make new scales for it?

if you re-profiled it (and forgive me if you've thought of this already), perhaps you could keep the 3/8" micarta and start very thin at the top of the handle and make the whole handle kind of conical, kind of like a Leuku knife but with your usual elegant flair.

vec

Well, I thought of re-profiling, but after a few weeks of them sitting around, I just added the hole for the lanyard tube, and went with the original shape. It needs to start with 1/2" Micarta I think. The tang on the 18 inchers is different anyway, so they're gonna look a bit different.

I think it's next to impossible to find a nicely finished machete, unless you try to commission it (and get lucky) from a specialized maker. Thus, this is definitively an interesting project:thumbup: Will wooden handles be an option on these? What about layered micarta combinations?

Input needed:

This machete's blade length is 22". That is a fantastic working blade length, however if you had the option of 22, 20, or 18 for this project (you can only pick one), would you chose 18"?

I would pick 18" but that's because I have several machetes in the 22" range. If I'm gonna' get a piece that nice--and only one--then I might as well go for something different and more packable.

But I LOVE 22-inchers. :D

I like 18" machetes a lot, but it seems a shame to lop the ends off of those cool old blades. If they were shortened to 18", would these be given more of a traditional "latin" profile, or would they keep the same general shape they have now?

I like 18" machetes a lot, but it seems a shame to lop the ends off of those cool old blades. If they were shortened to 18", would these be given more of a traditional "latin" profile, or would they keep the same general shape they have now?

True...if there aren't unmodified blades in 18" or 20" around for the project, (which may be the case) what would the profile be like? I think the answer could really make a difference in terms of who votes for what. :)

Offhand, I can't read the number too good, but these look like Collins #323 models. They were made with the chopped tips so they could be imported to places like Cuba which would not allow pointed blades as they were considered weapons. Common practice among peasants was to have the retailer re-point them,

I guess that explains the shape, then! Thanks for sharing that!

Profile being the same for all sizes, I would get the 18". That's plenty of blade, unless you're cutting cane on the field, and would be a bit easier to pack.

Back