Badass Machetes!! modded by Fiddleback

Offhand, I can't read the number too good, but these look like Collins #323 models. They were made with the chopped tips so they could be imported to places like Cuba which would not allow pointed blades as they were considered weapons. Common practice among peasants was to have the retailer re-point them,

Good information! Old school PC-ness! Because everyone knows that a machete without a pointy tip rendered as safe as a Nerf football. :D

Good information! Old school PC-ness! Because everyone knows that a machete without a pointy tip rendered as safe as a Nerf football. :D

I'm just surprised anyone would be trying to stab with machete as flexible as a 22" machete! :D

There's a book on Collins machetes on Amazon I've been meaning to pick up. Should be a good read--they've made a lot of crazy stuff! I've got a stacked-leather handled bowie by them that I got from my grandfather. Good stuff! :thumbup:

Offhand, I can't read the number too good, but these look like Collins #323 models. They were made with the chopped tips so they could be imported to places like Cuba which would not allow pointed blades as they were considered weapons. Common practice among peasants was to have the retailer re-point them,

It is the #323. You got it. They have a short two pager on it in the book. After the cubans started showing up in other countries with the machete, the pattern was adopted by other countries, and you can still see it today in many different styles. Someone once stated that it was to hold branches down, but that tip doesn't really help for such a purpose.

I'm just surprised anyone would be trying to stab with machete as flexible as a 22" machete! :D

There's a book on Collins machetes on Amazon I've been meaning to pick up. Should be a good read--they've made a lot of crazy stuff! I've got a stacked-leather handled bowie by them that I got from my grandfather. Good stuff! :thumbup:

:p They have information on your hollow handle find too.

It is the #323. You got it. They have a short two pager on it in the book. After the cubans started showing up in other countries with the machete, the pattern was adopted by other countries, and you can still see it today in many different styles. Someone once stated that it was to hold branches down, but that tip doesn't really help for such a purpose.
What I never understood was...why would you want to be holding a branch down? I can't think of any reason to do any such thing--if I have a machete in my hand I'm gonna' CHOP the sucker! :D

:p They have information on your hollow handle find too.

I'm still mad at myself for not knowing what it was at the time. The guy still probably wouldn't have parted with it if I had offered to buy it BEFORE telling him what it was, but I should have had the sense to, darn it! :D

For those not privy to this conversation, this is what I'm talking about.
collins006.jpg

collins004.jpg

collins005.jpg

collins001.jpg

It's like a CS Bushman on crack! :D

Man. I love all the enthusiam for this project.

The tip I'm wide open with. Wouldn't take me a minute to re-shape them. I could easily do it without messing up the HT too. The tip on the one pictured today was left as recieved. Neato 411 about the reasons for it.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I WANNNNNT one of those things too. Those who know me know this pretty much goes without saying.

Can't wait to see what the thicker handle looks like! :thumbup:

Oh, and Happy Turkey Day, everyone! :D

Hey!! The 3/8 stuff is going to work afterall. I had accidentally put 1/4" scales on it. Hurray!!

We are locking down the 18" version soon! Trying to find one there for mr. fiddle

No. The 22's are too cool as is. Just a tad too long for big demand. These will be sold as is. Probably finish them this week.

Sweet! It'd be sad if some 22-inchers had to give up their lives to make the 18" pieces! I'd buy both if it weren't for my lady--she'd murder me if I got them both! :eek: It's hard enough trying to justify another $15 machete to her when I already have 7 or so. :D

Now the only question is--which one? I typically use a 20-22" piece...but I don't have any 18"...Hmm...may as well stick with what works I guess! Then maybe I'll find some extra Christmas cash. ;)

mauauahahahahahahaha
My sentiments exactly! :p

Back