Banned from Imgur? Because of knife pics?

I have been using Imgur pretty much since I started on these forums. I have not had any issues with my content but I have always been careful to keep my images "Hidden". Back during the Photobucket fiasco, there were concerns about some language that Imgur used in their Terms & Conditions - it raised questions about whether using their services to post on other forums violated their terms or not. I reached out, as did others at the time and we were assured that it would pose no issue since we were not using Imgur as a content delivery system for a personal business or website. I am not sure if that has changed or not.

This is from their Terms - note that there is nothing against knives or even weapons, just a blurb about not promoting violence or crime:

btTtUNW.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. Some of my posts were public and some were private. I didn’t always notice how I was posting them. Over the years I would notice an occasional comment, but these comments were generally harmless and positive. The pics were just what we see posted here on blade forums. There were no bloody deer gutting pictures or anything like that. I don’t know. It was just my speculation that I could have been banned for knife content. I could have been banned by some sort of random computer algorithm error. I may never know.

Does anyone have another hosting site recommendation?
I've moved over to imgbb.com with good results.
I left imgur some time last year. For reasons.

I’ve had no trouble with Imgur- there’s a setting you can use that makes all posts hidden posts. I’ve been using it for 5 years.

I am sure someone caught a public post and reported it or something. Who knows how much moderation is done by humans. I’m sure someone will take a look sooner or later.

I am sure someone caught a public post and reported it or something. Who knows how much moderation is done by humans. I’m sure someone will take a look sooner or later.
That's a problem with a lot of the internet in general. Things work, until they don't, and it's hard to contact an actual human to straighten things out.

I hide mine as well. I made the mistake of doing a few public ones and the comments were not very nice.

Yep. I was told that I should use the big murdery killdeath weapon I'd posted (a pic of some ZT knife I had at the time) to kill myself. I quickly learned never to post a public pic again.

For the record, you're able to post without creating an account or signing in.

Wow Quiet Quiet so someone violated the terms of service to comment on your post 😒
Yessir, it does seem that way. I have seen comments made that are a clear violation on pics posted on IMGur that are left because they are in line with a certain political narrative that the majority of that site follows. The public section of IMGur is essentially as bad as Tumblr was back before it got canned.

My recommendation for folks wanting to post a pic using IMGur, don't bother creating an account unless you want to save online access to the pic at a later date. Just click the green "New Post" button, upload your pic, then share it using the direct link. Easy peasy.

Wow Quiet Quiet so someone violated the terms of service to comment on your post 😒

Yeah. Actually, Imgur's social media component is not too different from Reddit's, it's a format that seems to attract toxic and miserable people (or maybe just trolls). Unlike Reddit though, it lacks the ability to narrow one's focus to specific topics (or subs). As such, you get exposed to all sorts of garbage that is difficult to sift through unless you know how to work with hashtags and keywords. A heavy percentage of the most popular content is also very politically charged - but that isn't saying much, everything and everywhere is these days.

I just ignore it. It's a facet of their service that I have no interest in.

postimage which is another posting site has been giving me grief off and on too lately..... sometimes my pictures are viewable here and then later they aren't.... Then latter they are again, now today it looks like they may not be?

a few months ago I made a post in the tech area about this, but since it so far has been intermittent, still in limbo.....

Now with BF acting up too, Everywhere is in limbo it seems.

I like how the poster above said things work until they dont.......... haha/Ugh.

We tell young people not to post dirty pics online cause it will haunt them forever......

What about the pics we WANT online forever? That, we Can't do..... grrrrrrrrrrr

Postimages, like any website, can go down for various reasons. I have not been using it as long as you Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer but so far have had no problems with it. I am only using the free account, but it appears that paid accounts also have the ability to download their entire gallery of uploaded pics if so desired, which would make incremental backups a relatively simple matter, though fixing dead links in the event of data loss would become a tedious task the more links that needed to be fixed.

And with regard to the question of "Karens" seeing knife pics and reporting them....

https://postimages.org/plans said:

Are the images I upload private? Can I search or view images uploaded by other users?​

Only the people with whom you have shared the link to your image can view it.

There's a reason I chose Postimages instead of Imgur.

And with regard to the question of "Karens" seeing knife pics and reporting them....

There's a reason I chose Postimages instead of Imgur.

There are lots of reasons to not use Imgur, I am sure, but this shouldn't be one of them. Your pictures are only public if you want them to be.

There are lots of reasons to not use Imgur, I am sure, but this shouldn't be one of them.

Nonsense. No risk of accidentally posting an image viewable by other than your target audience is a perfectly valid reason.

Let's take it down a notch, please...

Nonsense. No fiddling with settings and accidentally posting an image viewable by other than your target audience.
... well I think "fiddling with settings" is over-stating it a bit. I just changed a setting one time and now everything defaults to private posting.
I understand people really bristle at the casual exposure to ideals that they do not agree with, but once folks learn to ignore it, it's really not a bad system.

EngrSorenson EngrSorenson looks like you caught my post before its final draft! 🤣 I've not used Imgur. I have read a number of people say that they accidentally posted an image publicly.

Sorry, E, I was not intending to be antagonist.

We're getting hung up on a setting that I don't think folks understand exists.
Wasn't directed your way, D.

EngrSorenson EngrSorenson looks like you caught my post before its final draft! 🤣 I've not used Imgur. I have read a number of people say that they accidentally posted an image publicly.
Yeah, honestly if you're using something and it's working, that's good.
With the current state of affairs concerning image hosting, my goal is for people to not feel unreasonably limited in their choices for 3rd party hosting.
As with most things online, I always encourage people to be careful what they post to where, and that includes Facebook, etc.
Yes, it's true Imgur defaults to public posting but in my opinion it's very hard to do by accident if our primary concern is practicing healthy internet posting habits.

Back