Becker Box Mark I (Updated 12/23/10)

DerekH

Handsome According to my Mother
Well, despite having gone through Louisville, my package did in fact arrive today. Here she is. (Excuse the crappy phone pics, better ones later once I track down the good camera and whatnot. Too excited now to spend a buttload of time on it.)

5269632728_d3f74c6dc1_b.jpg

5269021957_ff40cd822f_b.jpg

5269022047_ffb2cd97e3_b.jpg

5269632990_89731db6e0_b.jpg

5269022219_405d369168_b.jpg

So thrilled. It fits! There is one spot that was a smidge off, like less than a millimeter, but everything else is functional! Gotta go order the lid now.

Also in the background of the first shot there is my stainless steel alcohol stove that I am working on. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Last edited:
WOW! you best be making alot of those for all of us here?

those look awesome.....

NICE :)

wrong color :)

how tough is that printed material? or are you going to have to fabricate out of glass filled nylon later

sweet

now fill the box!

NICE :)

wrong color :)

how tough is that printed material? or are you going to have to fabricate out of glass filled nylon later

sweet

now fill the box!

Aye, wrong color, but spray paint does wonders. Strength, I would say it is pretty good. If it was made out of the same stuff as the sheath, it would be awesome, but I have no idea what that stuff is, nor how to get it, and probably couldn't afford to even if I could. This stuff would do. Glass filled nylon, no way I can make that happen. Nylon is not even close to being something I could fabricate in. The best I could do is glass filled whatever-kind-of-resin might hold up, and that is a long shot at best. Gotta wait til christmas is over before I can fill the box. Got some very specific things I want in her.

Looks like a great fit! A little flat black spray paint and you're GTG! Keep us posted!

Derek, that's very cool.
What software did you use, and did you have to do any special conversions to prep it for CAM? I'm trying to do a CAD knife design myself, but the various elements have to be stitched together properly before I give the drawing to a manufacturer.

-Daizee

Derek, that's very cool.
What software did you use, and did you have to do any special conversions to prep it for CAM? I'm trying to do a CAD knife design myself, but the various elements have to be stitched together properly before I give the drawing to a manufacturer.

-Daizee

SolidWorks 2009 is what I used. No special conversions really, just saved as .stl and uploaded it to Shapeways, then specified that the measurements were in millimeters. Stiching stuff together can be a pain in the rear, and I try like heck to avoid it when at all possible. Spent the better part of a year coming to that conclusion with my ring project.

Hm.
I'm afraid I don't have access to Solidworks - sounds like it's the new standard, and straightforward to use.

-Daizee

Hm.
I'm afraid I don't have access to Solidworks - sounds like it's the new standard, and straightforward to use.

-Daizee

Blender 3D is quite good from what I hear, although I have never tried it myself. Sketchup is... serviceable, but not the best. Autocad is pretty decent too. SolidWorks was what I went with, and was fairly easy for me to learn. Easy meaning it took me the better part of a year. I would say I am still a novice, but I can usually manage to make it work.

Hey Derek........

Very, very interesting........Also way cool.....How deep???.......

All Best......

ethan

Hey Derek........

Very, very interesting........Also way cool.....How deep???.......

All Best......

ethan

Right at 3/4", sir.

I have to say, I am quite a bit awestruck right now. My first Mr. Becker sighting. Thanks for the kind words, I am pretty proud of it.

More pics! Sorry, still from phone, the missus decided to hide the actual good camera, the memory card for the crappy camera, and my lighting isn't that good anywhere in the house for this. (Need a lightbox. Wouldn't help with this being all white, but still...)

5269547865_2dfa1563ef_b.jpg

5269547961_19beb3416a_b.jpg

5270156542_b61f1f8b03_b.jpg

5269548093_43023fc6a1_b.jpg

5270156664_0c0bc7cea6_b.jpg

5270156734_b5bf0260dd_b.jpg

5270156812_3d5090ac44_b.jpg

Nice work all around. :thumbup:

Just an FYI, though you probably already know, but a number of spray paints are now specifically marketed for plastics.
I painted a kayak carrier I made out of PVC with some of the paint, and it has held up extremely well.

Nice work all around. :thumbup:

Just an FYI, though you probably already know, but a number of spray paints are now specifically marketed for plastics.
I painted a kayak carrier I made out of PVC with some of the paint, and it has held up extremely well.

I may go that route, but my first is probably going to be some good ole rit dye. For this material that is what the majority of people have had luck with. It is very absorbent for it I have been told. Once that is done probably a matte or satin polyurethane. If the dying goes well. (Dyeing? Grammar?)

Blender, eh? I haven't touched that app in years - since I was on linux full time.
I'll give it a shot again. I'm impressed by your turnaround of that little device and would like a go.

When I was in school we had a rapid prototyper, but I never got to play with it. Only with the all-terrain 4-wheeled robot. :)

-Daizee

Back