Becker Box Mark I (Updated 12/23/10)

In my haste, and my rather unfortunate nearsightedness, I neglected to do one very important thing after attaching the box. I have had a lot of little projects here lately, so of course after attaching the box, I went on to those, thinking the box was fine. I get the combo knife/box to my casting guy, at which time he points out one very interesting fact: "Derek, this box is awesome, I mean it fits great, but, well, I can't get the knife out without a crowbar."

The shape, size, and attachment of the box forces the mouth of the sheath closed so much that it is almost impossible to remove the knife from the sheath with the box attached. That is, at best, problematic. There is no way the knife could be removed one-handed from the sheath unless you decided to do a drop leg carry on an oak tree.

Any and all options to alleviate this lead to the discovery that any means of circumventing this dilemma required some serious modification to the case design on a fundamental level. All except one.

We'll come back to that.

"Derek, so, how are you going to wear this thing?"

"On my leg, probably drop leg style to make it a little more comfortable."

"So this thing will be on your thigh, sideways, and you want the lid to remove, and all your crap to fall out?"

"Er... not quite... as such... ummmm..."

Yeah. Not real well thought out. What is the difference between this and the pouch with altoids tin? You can take the altoids tin off and open it without losing your stuff.

Enter the solution: No modifications to current design, just additional parts. For the lid, one velcro strap to attach lid to the base of the box. This strap will go through the notch at the top, closest to the mouth of the sheath. This is also where the leg strap will go for drop leg carry. The other notch will have a nylon strap with velcro to go all the way around the sheath and secure the box to the sheath, via around the backside of sheath, all the way around the top of the lid. Box is removable from sheath, lid is removable from box.

Add rare earth magnets to current holes for screws, and on sheath run stainless steel pan head screws to give something for magnets to hold on to, just for added retention.

Hopefully by the end of the day we will have this mocked up.

My bad for the shortsightedness on this one.

Back