<<BECKERHEAD BEACHBODIES>> ;) *MYB* G~A~W !! {not just for fitness pros....}

I merely mean how does the scoring work? Per hour of workout? But then some work outs are more intense so how would that work?

There are prior MYB threads that are floating around in the BK&T subforum, they all have the same scoring system listed in them. Do a quick search and educate yourself, and then you can do whatever you want when it comes to scoring yourself in the thread.

That was quite the workout typing that out, I'll score myself 3 femtopoints for strenuous activity.

Feel free to use the MYB point system if you wish (I probably will for myself) or not....they don't matter, anyway.
I haven't looked at the previously used scoring system in a while... but it was one of the reasons I never participated in those threads.
My interpretation of this one was that the focus was getting people to participate for themselves - with less emphasis on requiring certain activity levels to gain points, and more on giving incentive & encouragement to push each other along. The playing field is level... current abilities don't matter & we're not competing against each other - just trying to improve ourselves. (Feel free to correct me if I got that wrong, GSOM)

There are prior MYB threads that are floating around in the BK&T subforum, they all have the same scoring system listed in them. Do a quick search and educate yourself, and then you can do whatever you want when it comes to scoring yourself in the thread.

That was quite the workout typing that out, I'll score myself 3 femtopoints for strenuous activity.

Lol kk thx

I haven't looked at the previously used scoring system in a while... but it was one of the reasons I never participated in those threads.
My interpretation of this one was that the focus was getting people to participate for themselves - with less emphasis on requiring certain activity levels to gain points, and more on giving incentive & encouragement to push each other along. The playing field is level... current abilities don't matter & we're not competing against each other - just trying to improve ourselves. (Feel free to correct me if I got that wrong, GSOM)

This.
Plus, the points system didn't really work well, IMO - though it was at least some motivation. Biscuit started it, and I think it was just a way to mark progress - but the way it worked out in reality was that I could earn a crapload of points in the pool in a very little amount of time or spend two hours on my bike and earn half the points in twice the time. I didn't especially care about point totals, but....in a way I did.

So no points in this one - unless you want to keep track, in which case - feel free. Do - or do not. They won't count towards anything except for what you think they count towards. If it helps you to keep on track, by all means use them, I'll try to post up the previous system at the beginning of the thread this weekend. I won't be doing the giveaways according to any specific performance metrics. All you have to do is participate, check in once in a while so the rest of us can encourage you and....that's pretty much it. It's like Anarchy MYB - anarchy in the truest sense, meaning, quite literally, no hierarchy. Everyone that participates is equal and has an equal chance of winning something. Actually, I'm pretty sure EVERYONE that participates will earn at least a token something, unless I've underestimated participation numbers.

Swam 1400m tonight - not because I was tired, but because I paused after 1400, overheard the lifeguards talking about college choices and plans and whatever and, being the butinski that I am, ended up talking with the young man half of the duo for about 15 minutes until the pool was closed. Nice young man - told me all about his current "business" making and selling maple syrup - and somehow (I wonder...) ended up talking knives ;). I know folks my age are always on about "kids these days", but if this guy is any indication (and I believe he's not alone) we got nothing to worry about.

Enjoying a couple well deserved beers after refraining all week. Turns out it wasn't that hard to NOT have a beer or two every night - and it's making this one taste GREAT.

2.5 mile walk tonight with the 25lb pack. Rain started up after the first mile, but I was mostly dressed for it.
Also push-ups and crunches this morning. Thinking of adding "climbers" & squats and doing a couple sets. But having trouble motivivating myself to change.

Off to a good start today, and I'm only 3 hrs in....
I'll update this post tonight (or tomorrow morning) so I can include whatever else I throw into the mix.

The "good start" began with one person deciding to do some stairs at work. A couple of people joined in... and somebody brought a 20 kettle bell, (suggesting that one person would do kb exercises while others did the 3 flights up and back, then another person would switch to kb, repeating til done). That idea didn't fly well, and the kb guy got called away right at the start... so after my first period of kb swings, I just took the thing up and down the stairs. I started out ambitiously, doing upright rows on the way up, triceps presses on the next trip up, and curls the next... then I just carried it.
So far today, I've done 61 flights of stairs (24 with 20lb kb). When I got up, I was feeling it - right knee wrecked from Lyme - so I went for a leisurely walk to loosen it up. I'm up to 11000 steps, and there are 8 hrs left in the day.
Did some pushups and a one minute plank (both of which were part of my morning routine that I've been slacking off on for the past few months)
I don't plan on doing anything else I can post about today, other than adding to my step count in the course of getting to the end of the day

Last edited:
Did a Darebee workout highly recommend them.... then 20 mins reflex bag 20 mins heavy bag

On the trail.
Mrs K and the dogs after 5km walk.
The Jaktterrier is crazy as always and burns twice as much calories as all else combined...
DSC_0514_zpsv2jmcguq.jpg

Mike, my hat tips off to you sir. You got more people out there and moving! I tried to keep it going but:

Well looks like I"m out for a while. Grab a seat folks this is going to be a good one:

While playing in the basement with the kids (they were having a dance party), somebody turned on the treadmill without my knowledge. with the music being loud i did not even hear it on. that somebody set it to 10mph.......i notice the treadmill's display still lit up so i go over to turn it off. thinking its not on i go to step on it and have my feet taken out from under me. i use everything i have to get me up as to not land on the moving belt, that i pulled myself almost 1 handed up onto the safety rails. tore my chest muscle and partial ligament, full or partial bicep tendon tare lol. Worse pain of my life :( have to go see my orthopaedic surgen. pain pills aplenty, today is going to suck!!

worst part i just started to get back into it with a mission :( bah not a happy person.

Turns out after all it was a full pectoral tendon tare, torn deltoid muscles, and one of the heads of my bicep was partially torn. Six titanium screws and 3 pins later and we're back together. :thumbup:

I'm currently two weeks away from another surgeon appointment to see if I can get approved for full activities again. I'm going to physiotherapy twice a week, still working to get full range of motion back to my arm (I got about 70% back).

During my time off I've been doing reading into different ways to assist with weight-loss and fitness gains. The one program that I've been working on is due to a new set of research that was targeted towards diabetics. I'm not diabetic, but the results work for everybody. If you google 'intermittent fasting' you will get numerous articles to explain it all in details. The basics of this is you eat all your food for the day within an 8 hour window, and have nothing but water for the other hours of the day. This causes your body to go into a starvation preservation mode, and the body then burns straight fat for energy. Because of my schedule I choose to have my breakfast at 10am, Lunch 2pm, and Dinner at 5pm (finishing before 6pm). In my first week of doing this I dropped 4.5lbs, second week was slower but I was down another 2lbs, and this week looks like it will be another 2lbs. I haven't adjusted my portions (yet) just the times that I'm eating. The only time I've felt hungry is in the morning before my breakfast. I no longer have a morning coffee and that at times makes things a little difficult, but the results seem to be pretty good so far.

Another little bit of advice that I could give for anybody just 'getting into it' or starting up again is: GO SLOW! baby steps. Pain, or pushing it too far will just deter you from wanting to continue and / or actually set you back by increasing the chance of injury. Case in point: as soon as I was cleared for movement for my arm I was told I could start running again (after being completly inactive for 3 months). My first day back out I decided to do 5km and surprised the hell out of myself when I did it in 32min. It felt so good, the next day I decided to get a baseline of my maximum distance so I knew where I needed to start my training again. Just over 5 miles and I decided to call it quits because I still felt so great that I could go forever. The next day I woke up with a swollen foot and some tendinitis in my ankle. The wife and the Dr gave me the 9th degree and just had to remind me that I'm closer in age to 40 then I am 20 (I'm 33). Dr wanted to put me in a boot for two weeks, but told me that I should just hold off training until I could go two days without pain.

Yesterday I ran 2 miles and rollarbladed 4km with the dog. Giving my lower body a break today (maybe :D) and only going to stick to my arm exercises :thumbup:

Ultimately my fitness goals have never changed, it seems like I just have to get over this giant hurdle before I can continue, and it will take me that much longer to get that beachbody ;)

I'll be checking in to this thread if anybody is looking for any little advice that I can help with. Feel free to look me up on Facebook if you have it and want to PM me (Tim Lievers). At one time in my life I was a certified personal trainer :thumbup:

I'm not in: But I wish all of you the best of luck!

On a side note: has anybody seen or heard from CrimsonFalcon in a while? he kinda dropped off, just wondering how he's doing. It was his inspiration that got me back on track after a long while off.

Mike, my hat tips off to you sir. You got more people out there and moving! I tried to keep it going but:

I'm not in: But I wish all of you the best of luck!

I think you need to go to the beginning of the thread and read the opening post. YOU. ARE. MOST. CERTAINLY. IN!

In fact, I think this is the most perfect MYB thread to aid you in your recovery.

Can't argue with the man running the show &#128540;.

3 miles rollerblading this afternoon with the dog, then my rehab exercises.

Chilly afternoon today...did a few laps around the block walking the dog while the rugrat played in the park...4.5kms today

Dang, GSOM, that story about your neighbor, what a hardcore dude. I'll be swimming more as soon as I get a bathing suit that accomodates this new shape haha! Cool to see lots of folks chiming in. :)

congrats Cap'n!!!
thank you!

And yeah, TBL - I was thinking the same thing about Crimsonfalcon. Hope he's doing ok!

Went on a nice long walk with a friend this week on the one day we had some rays of sun shining thru the clouds, it was lovely.

Can't argue with the man running the show &#128540;.

3 miles rollerblading this afternoon with the dog, then my rehab exercises.

You could, but it'd be pointless - and you'd give up the chance to get something for nothing, except doing what you're already doing. Win/win. Here's to recovery from your injury. Nice job, rollerblading....sold my Bonts ("speed skating" blades...) a few years ago....but I still have a pair of "hockey" blades. Did a bit of actual skating this winter....lucky enough to have an outdoor rink at Strawberry Banke to skate at. Glad you decided to participate, Tim.

Dang, GSOM, that story about your neighbor, what a hardcore dude. I'll be swimming more as soon as I get a bathing suit that accomodates this new shape haha! Cool to see lots of folks chiming in. :)

thank you!

And yeah, TBL - I was thinking the same thing about Crimsonfalcon. Hope he's doing ok!

Went on a nice long walk with a friend this week on the one day we had some rays of sun shining thru the clouds, it was lovely.

My neighbor....is not a "hardcore dude". He's just a regular guy, doing what he can. He's frustrated, but dealing - without wallowing in self-pity. I've learned more about him in the last couple years than I have in the previous decade....different generation....

As for swimming - nice thing about lycra - stretchy to accommodate incoming human beans. Hope you are doing well. Pretty wild when they started doing disco in there....all that natal twerking was like....I can't even describe it. I'd put my hand on my wife's belly, and my daughter would be in there, doing the Lambada. Even tho....it's totally pedestrian. How we all come into the world. Becoming a parent....it's a hell of a thing. I would've carried them if biology allowed. Still, they've made me who I am today. Kind of mind blowing that a couple little bits of RNA made from just 4 components can zipper together and create a human being. Never ceases to give me pause - especially since the oldest spawn is learning how to drive. Hard to believe that half of the awesome young lady she's becoming is me. My belief is that we are all Creators - tho only approximately 50% of us are incubators.....I hope you are talking and singing to her/him. Pretty astonishing, when my second one was born - she was totally tuned in to her sister, who was talking to her the whole time before she was born. Can't find the pic, but the little one was days old and recognized her sister's voice. The undiscovered country.....

I was thinking the same thing about crimsonfalcon. Might just ping him this weekend - tho I totally get the "life happens" thing. For me, this is a sanctuary....but I can understand how BF might fall by the wayside, given the numerous twists and turns of IRL.

spent several hours today clearing out the campsite in the back corner of my hayfield.
hacked down 2 years' worth of honeysuckle, rosa rugosa, and some storm killed trees - mostly used my parangatang, a little use of a husky 240 chainsaw
restacked the firepit & build a fire
chopped up a lot of dead branches with my M18, split some very well aged wood for the fire

once the hard part was done, we spent an hour or 2 throwing axes, shovel, and knives at the large hawk stump.
no Beckers were thrown or injured in the shenanigans, although I'm going to be a bit achy in the morning.

it looked a lot like this before we started (minus the hammock)
17799333_10155150661389603_4510034449127922445_n.jpg

and this is the after.......
17862362_10155150661099603_1686692315872394815_n.jpg

17799172_10155150661199603_349774296236963776_n.jpg

Finally got on my bike this morning after half a year....took me a half hour just to find all my sh!+ - but it was worth it and needed to be done. 13 miles was never so long.
Upside: I realized I have some stuff to give away - if anyone is interested in a pair (or two) of brand new bike shorts (size L) and doesn't mind billboarding for the ADA (American Diabetes Association), hit me up:
bailey15stones @ gmail . com
I'll list them at the beginning of the thread with pics as well, prolly tomorrow.

I realize looking at this that I don't look too happy - but I was. Nice to finally get back out.

33813633831_7543834b87_z.jpg

Nice day for a hike, so I packed up the dog and headed to the bush. Walked just under 5kms total, with about a 10lb pack on. My gimpy neck/shoulder actually held up fine. Yay me!

Mostly yard work day, and got lost in the mall looking for 1 item. After dinner I needed a walk and my F-i-L needed to get out of the house, so we took a walk around the block. As I turned on my distance/mapping app it told me that it's a good day for a 5k. So after our 2.5 mile jaunt and returning him safely home, I went back out. But there's no good 1/2 mile loop from the house. So I wound up doing 3.5 miles with the 25lb pack tonight.
And a total of 16,000 steps for the day!
Feels good.

Took the kids up north yesterday to take advantage of the nice weather. Walked a mile into the bush to blow up a beaver dam (no pictures tho, too big of a boom for those parts to carry evidence :D), then back out. Having my SKS slung over my shoulder was fine, but i'm feeling it today. Ended the day with some stretching and basic rehab.

Today is going to be a stretching / rest day for me. My body is a little achy so I'm taking that as a sign that I need another day before I get back at it. Plans for the day include picking up a part I need for my hot tub, cleaning it, then sitting the rest of the day in it until I feel better.

Back