Boker Ak101 Vs Boker Tactical Recurve (jim W.)

I would like to know which one of the two knives below you would prefer and why:

Boker AK101
=========
New model of the only officially licensed Kalashnikov knife series. With an overall length of 9 7/8", the new 101 design is a massive heavy duty knife, which performs extremely well not only in tactical situations, but also in the great outdors. The FRN handle provides for a safe and secure grip, and the 1.5 mm stainless steel liners underneath the handle scales provide additional stability. Friction grooves in the handle and thumb ramp allow safe handling. The rust resistant 440C stainless steel blade can be opened with the thumb stud or the side-guards, even with gloves on. The glass-breaker tip at the end of the handle is another useful feature of the 101. Liner locking system and pocket clip for tip-up carry. Blade length: 4". Weight: 6.4 oz. With bead blasted plain edge blade.
http://www.boker.de/us/index.php?c=3000&a=01BO101&s1=101&s2=0&s3=999&p=&pp=0

Boker Tactical Jim Wagner Reality Based Recurve Knife
=========================================
Boker Tactical Military Lockback Jim Wagner Reality Based Recurved Blade Button Lock Knife. Measures 5 1/4" closed lockback. 3 7/8" black finish 440C stainless recurve blade for high performance stainless steel superior edge-holding ability and corrosion resistance with radial thum lug. A solid lock back mechnanism to absorb the tremendous forces you can put to the knife. Ergonomic finger grooves with anti-slip texturing black fiberglass reinforced composition handles. Black clip kit that allows you to choose between a glass breaker or a clip that looks like a writing pen. Two lanyard holes.
http://www.boker.de/us/index.php?c=48,2,&a=01BO055&p=&pp=0

Thanks.

I'd definitely go for the AK 101 - it's more robust, has better ergonomics and can take much more abuse, whereas the RBB is a one time SD tool as intented. Only downsides are the size and weight.

I've seen and handled the RBB auto and the AK 74, and IMO the RBB is too light both literally and figurely for my liking (Heavy Duty). Given the AK 74 and the AK 101 are produced with same standards - go for it.

Thanke for your help ManofIron.

What about the locking mechanism on the AK101 vs. the other one?

I prefer to be as 'safe' as possible and am worried that the AK101 liner lock may give way if the knife is hit on the back, hard enough that is.

Indeed the AK 101 utilizes a liner lock, but as a renowned manufacturer, Böker has a good quality controle (Böker>Böker Plus>Magnum). Nothing to worry about, given the very blade you hold doesn't have defects.

The RBB come in autos and lockbacks, the autos don't have thumbdiscs. And the tanto points on the RBBs are most accute, and therefor penetrate super duper well, henceforth brake more easily.

The RBBs come in with a set of spanner(???correct english word???) and a more descrete pen bottom glass/scull braker, so the AK 101 may come with those as well.

Man of Iron,
I appreciate hearing from you on the 101. I'm still relatively new to knife collecting but jumped quickly at the new 101. BTW, mine sports the number "385". I inquired of Boker USA about this and they replied to me this morning that only the first 2000 will be numbered. Just thought this might be of interest to folks.

Indeed the AK 101 utilizes a liner lock, but as a renowned manufacturer, Böker has a good quality controle (Böker>Böker Plus>Magnum). Nothing to worry about, given the very blade you hold doesn't have defects.

The RBB come in autos and lockbacks, the autos don't have thumbdiscs. And the tanto points on the RBBs are most accute, and therefor penetrate super duper well, henceforth brake more easily.

The RBBs come in with a set of spanner(???correct english word???) and a more descrete pen bottom glass/scull braker, so the AK 101 may come with those as well.

There was a review posted on YouTube for the Boker Tanto Armed Forces I folder. The reviewer exposed a flaw with that model which is that the liner-lock fails when you knock on the back of the knife. From the video it doesn't seem like he is knocking it that hard either.

Link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhaAz7HwrlY

Maybe I'm being too 'picky' but I want to rely on my AK101 (which I have now ordered - too much temptation!).

Do you think that this flaw may be with all Boker Plus folders for just that particular model?

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Ooooo-kay. That YouTube video was, shall we say, "disturbing". I happen to own the Armed Forces II folder. Is the flaw in the Armed Forces I present in my II? In the YouTube video, I did notice that he took pains to differentiate between the two.
So what say you guys about this? BTW, thanks, topspecIt, for posting the YouTube link and for any nightmares I may experiance tonight.

Ooooo-kay. That YouTube video was, shall we say, "disturbing". I happen to own the Armed Forces II folder. Is the flaw in the Armed Forces I present in my II? In the YouTube video, I did notice that he took pains to differentiate between the two.
So what say you guys about this? BTW, thanks, topspecIt, for posting the YouTube link and for any nightmares I may experiance tonight.

Err..., sorry..., but I am also an owner of a Boker AK101.

Can anybody test their Boker Plus folder to see if it has this flaw.

-Maybe- it is JUST the Armed Forces Tanto I.

Bear in mind that position of the liner lock on the knife blade may make all the difference. If it is against the edge then it is unlikely to fail. If it is in the middle of the blade then it might. Also bear in mind that the Armed Forces I is a small knife. The bigger size ones may not have this problem.

Can anyone confirm?

BTW:Wayne1961 be gentle with your Armed Forces II until you 'test' it out. Make sure you wear gloves though! And sorry for the nightmares and even though it can be your 'trusty' friend, it's just a knife...

I have the larger version of the Armd Forces tanto folder, and while I haven't tested it for lock failure, I have noticed that the liners are relatively weak for such a large knife. In contrast, the AK-101 has pretty heavy spring tension for the liner lock, it is noticably more difficult to unlock than the Armed Forces tanto. I would assume that this would make the AK 101 more resistant to lock failure than the AF tanto. The overall build quality and feel of the AK 101 is also quite a bit better than the AF folders.

I can't really compare it against the Jim Wagner Recurve, as I haven't handled one of those yet. But I can say that after using the AK 101, I no longer feel the need to keep buying folding knives anymore. Prior to this knife, I bought a nw foldr every few months or so, hoping to find one that just felt "right" to me. Some have come pretty close, but the AK is the only one so far that feels "right" to me.

It was very difficult for me to choose, but I'd say AK 101. Not only for the size, but for the tip ( stronger ) and for "finger guard" as a saftey feature .

P4220087.jpg

I think that pic says it all.

I definitely prefer the AK101. the blade size, shape, finishing etc seem to outdo the Recurve JW.

Glad I made the right choice.

BTW: Does the AK 101 have 'CHINA' or something hideous like that printed on it?

No, no "China" printed, but no "Germany" too. I suppose Taiwan, but it could be China.

If it's not USA, Germany or Japan then it's a good decision not to print it. Unlike my fixed blade Boker Tanto which has 'CHINA' written in silver on a blade blade!

This is a great looking design and I love the deep carry clip on it. One question though, where is it made? Taiwan or China?

The following is etched on the tang (obverse side) of the blade of my new 101:
"440C
Taiwan"
The "Taiwan" doesn't bother me so long as Boker's tradition of excellent quality control endures and it certainly appears to have with regard to the AK-101. BTW, the 101 got a glowing review in the latest issue of "Tactical Knives" magazine.

The following is etched on the tang (obverse side) of the blade of my new 101:
"440C
Taiwan"
The "Taiwan" doesn't bother me so long as Boker's tradition of excellent quality control endures and it certainly appears to have with regard to the AK-101. BTW, the 101 got a glowing review in the latest issue of "Tactical Knives" magazine.

I've seen good pictures on the German forum and they do not show any 'TAIWAN' markings on the tang-blade.. Also, Alex also didn't find any markings of Taiwan.

http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=48486

What's going on?

In the meantime:

"please no taiwan, please no taiwan, please no taiwan, please no taiwan, please no taiwan, please no taiwan, please no taiwan, please no taiwan,..."

Well, it's there. If anyone has the latest issue of "Tactical Knives" magazine handy, look at page 13. The close-up photo (mid-page) also reveals it. I agree with topspecIt, I wish it wasn't there. But I love this knife.

Well, it's there. If anyone has the latest issue of "Tactical Knives" magazine handy, look at page 13. The close-up photo (mid-page) also reveals it. I agree with topspecIt, I wish it wasn't there. But I love this knife.

If the workmanship and quality is, shall we say, 'excellent', then it doesn't matter what written on it.

My Boker Fixed Blade Tanto is stamped 'China' and have found several imperfections in the knife. I have owned knives from the US and have never found such imperfections.

Can anyone confirm if the AK101 is also "rough around the edges".

FYI: See my review on this forum for more info on the 'imperfections'

no, mine has no country markings. on the other side of the blade is "440C" and a number, serial I guess.

Back