Boker Ak101 Vs Boker Tactical Recurve (jim W.)

no, mine has no country markings. on the other side of the blade is "440C" and a number, serial I guess.

So it seems that there are some with and without the markings.

There may be a quality difference here guys!

Can somebody post high resolution pics of their Taiwan AK101.

--Feeling very nervous now--

Unfortunately, my cheapy digital cam bit the dust awhile back. So I can only refer folks to the page 13 pic in the latest "Tactical Knives" magazine for a close-up pic of the "440C Taiwan" 101. However, I'd be most interested in hearing from anyone as to why some of the 101s have the "Taiwan" while others don't. Here's an observation, though. The knife sent to TK magazine editor Stephen Dick for evaluation bore serial number "038" and the "Taiwan" IS present. Another knife (from one of the links in this forum) bears number "304" and "Taiwan" is NOT there. Finally, mine bears # "385" and the "Taiwan" IS there, again! I don't understand.

The following is etched on the tang (obverse side) of the blade of my new 101:
"440C
Taiwan"
The "Taiwan" doesn't bother me so long as Boker's tradition of excellent quality control endures and it certainly appears to have with regard to the AK-101. BTW, the 101 got a glowing review in the latest issue of "Tactical Knives" magazine.

Thanks for looking. Hard to explain why, but I have no problem with a Taiwan manufactured knife, but the name China just turns me off. Please no offense meant to any Chinese knifenut brother who may read this, as it has taken me several years to accept Taiwan. I guess if China keeps producing good knives then it will not matter.

Unfortunately, my cheapy digital cam bit the dust awhile back. So I can only refer folks to the page 13 pic in the latest "Tactical Knives" magazine for a close-up pic of the "440C Taiwan" 101. However, I'd be most interested in hearing from anyone as to why some of the 101s have the "Taiwan" while others don't. Here's an observation, though. The knife sent to TK magazine editor Stephen Dick for evaluation bore serial number "038" and the "Taiwan" IS present. Another knife (from one of the links in this forum) bears number "304" and "Taiwan" is NOT there. Finally, mine bears # "385" and the "Taiwan" IS there, again! I don't understand.

I think you are in the right area. The serial number must be related to batches of knives produced in potentially different countries. Which batch, I don't know.

Alternatively, it may be that the manufacturer has ALWAYS been Taiwan and they just decided to stamp their latest batches.

I really like the AK101 I hope I don't say I 'liked' the AK101 when it arrives.

Wayne1961 - What is the quality and build like? Is it the same as the pictures on the German forum?
http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=48486

The United States has pretyy strict laws regarding labelling product
with the country of origin. All the knives are made in the same factory,
however, Europe does not have the same labelling laws, so if the knife was purchased, or shipped from Germany(or elsewhere in Europe), it may not be labelled.

All of them were made in Taiwan. And there is no quality difference.
HTH,
Terry

The United States has pretyy strict laws regarding labelling product
with the country of origin. All the knives are made in the same factory,
however, Europe does not have the same labelling laws, so if the knife was purchased, or shipped from Germany(or elsewhere in Europe), it may not be labelled.

All of them were made in Taiwan. And there is no quality difference.
HTH,
Terry

Just as I thought.

But if ALL of them were made in Taiwan as you say how come some are stamped and some are not. Surely the suppliers don't stamp the knife, it must be the manufacturer.

I feel better now that a BOKER representative says that they are ALL made in Taiwan.

Thanks for trying to clear things up but I think I am more confused...

topspecIt,
You can relax. The 101 is exactly as pictured in the link. I even tried tried to nit-pick by examining the contours of the pocket-clip. Exactly the same. I truly think you'll be happy with this knife.
I'd still like for Mr. Trahan to explain why some are marked "Taiwan" while others aren't. The only thing I've heard regarding what's printed on the blade was my email from Noelle Tourjee of Boker yesterday. The first 2000 will be numbered.

topspecIt,
You can relax. The 101 is exactly as pictured in the link. I even tried tried to nit-pick by examining the contours of the pocket-clip. Exactly the same. I truly think you'll be happy with this knife.
I'd still like for Mr. Trahan to explain why some are marked "Taiwan" while others aren't. The only thing I've heard regarding what's printed on the blade was my email from Noelle Tourjee of Boker yesterday. The first 2000 will be numbered.

Thanks Wayne1961 you've made me feel much better. BUT whilst messing about trying to find a solution I missed this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=190214939979&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Damn!

topspecIt,
Here's another link that has, among other Bokers, pics of the 101.
http://www.coltelleriacollini.it/boker
And the two 101s in these pics don't have "Taiwan" on them, either. I'm beginning to think that me and the guy from TK magazine are the only two slobs in the world that got 101s with "Taiwan" blazened onto them.

topspecIt,
Here's another link that has, among other Bokers, pics of the 101.
http://www.coltelleriacollini.it/boker
And the two 101s in these pics don't have "Taiwan" on them, either. I'm beginning to think that me and the guy from TK magazine are the only two slobs in the world that got 101s with "Taiwan" blazened onto them.

Good link and nice pics!:thumbup:

It seems that the listing does say that it is made in Taiwan. So the problem has probably not effected quality but just the labelling.

Is the label printed or stamped into the metal? If it is printed then you might be able to take it off with some paint remover (don't hold me to it though! I'm only guessing).

Seeing 'TAIWAN' reminds me of the 1980's when I got hold of some really bad folders that had TAIWAN stamped into the blade. It was a label for sh*t. Not a good memories to associated with a great knife like this!

topspecIt,

I'm not exactly sure what else I can say to explain it. The ones shipped from the factory to the US are stamped, and the ones shiped to Germany from the factory are not, as far as I know. Perhaps Tobias can explain things from the German end, as I only deal with the US end of things.

Thanks,
Terry

I'm not exactly sure what else I can say to explain it. The ones shipped from the factory to the US are stamped, and the ones shiped to Germany from the factory are not, as far as I know. Perhaps Tobias can explain things from the German end, as I only deal with the US end of things.

Thanks,
Terry

So is it that Boker would like to not have the word 'TAIWAN' on their blade so manufacturer doesn't put the label for European orders. Boker would like this for US too but can't (because of legalities) so they instruct Taiwan to add label for US orders. Same knife at the end of the day.

Getting closer?

New question: can it be removed?

I have #487, it has the "Taiwan" marking on it right under the "440C" label at the base of the blade. I personally dont have a problem with it. A lot of the CRKT knives are made in Taiwan and are known for their high quality as well. For those who don't like it, the marking could probably be lightly sanded followed by bead blasting to remove it.

So is it that Boker would like to not have the word 'TAIWAN' on their blade so manufacturer doesn't put the label for European orders. Boker would like this for US too but can't (because of legalities) so they instruct Taiwan to add label for US orders. Same knife at the end of the day.

Getting closer?

New question: can it be removed?

I think it would more have to do with cost. It costs money to stamp the blade, and since it is not required in Europe, why incur the cost. Here, we have to, so the cost doesn't matter, as it is required. That would be my guess.
As I said, Tobias, who is in Germany, may know from that end.
Thanks,
Terry

OK why would one need to remove this stamp? It will not change where the knife originated from. If this is part of a collection, it will ruin the value. If it is a knife for daily use ... it will just wear away eventually. Both the "Boker Plus" and "Magnum" names are for knives made overseas. These brands distinguish these knives from German and Argentinian Bokers. Mostly these are made in Taiwan with some made in China. I have heard nothing but good about Taiwan knife production and from what I have seen it rivals (or exceeds) some US knives. I have 10 Boker Plus/Magnum offerrings. Including the (2) of the small Armed Forces Tantos .... both lock tight (maybe too tight as they are hard to close). I have heard of this spine test and have test both knives ... one I wailed hard on a work bench ... the results several large chunks of wood removed from the bench and some scratching on the blade ... the 'net isn't always the best source for technical demonstations ... I seen a video of Elvis buying beef jerky in a gas station, just last week!!!! I have yet to find a single flaw in my Boker knives (matter of fact not a single flaw in any Smith & Wesson or CRKT Taiwan made knives). They are a great value and I will be buying many more.

OK why would one need to remove this stamp? It will not change where the knife originated from. If this is part of a collection, it will ruin the value. If it is a knife for daily use ... it will just wear away eventually. Both the "Boker Plus" and "Magnum" names are for knives made overseas. These brands distinguish these knives from German and Argentinian Bokers. Mostly these are made in Taiwan with some made in China. I have heard nothing but good about Taiwan knife production and from what I have seen it rivals (or exceeds) some US knives. I have 10 Boker Plus/Magnum offerrings. Including the (2) of the small Armed Forces Tantos .... both lock tight (maybe too tight as they are hard to close). I have heard of this spine test and have test both knives ... one I wailed hard on a work bench ... the results several large chunks of wood removed from the bench and some scratching on the blade ... the 'net isn't always the best source for technical demonstations ... I seen a video of Elvis buying beef jerky in a gas station, just last week!!!! I have yet to find a single flaw in my Boker knives (matter of fact not a single flaw in any Smith & Wesson or CRKT Taiwan made knives). They are a great value and I will be buying many more.

I really love them too. That's why I have two of them already. I'm really impressed by the picutres of the AK101. It just oozes with quality. My worry was if I don't get one just like it (yes, I've ordered but not recieved it).

So far, BOKER is my favourite of fixed blades followed by S&W. Boker is also my favorite for folders followed by Kershaw.

If the knife I receive looks like those in the pictures then I must say that Taiwan have acheived wonders as far as quality knife making is concerned. China on the other hand do great fixed blade Tanto but there is some "roughing around the edges" but totally acceptable given the other plus points and the price.

I REALLY like the Armed Forces and AK line-up and will definitely buy more if I need to.

I couldn't agree more. My issue was NEVER that the 101 was made in Taiwan, rather, just curiousity as to why some 101s bore the "Taiwan" stamp and others didn't. Boker is my #1 knife, period. Other nice blades out there and sometimes I buy them but Boker remains my favorite. Also agree regarding S&W knives. They've taken alot of heat and I admit that some of their liner-locks have problems but, overall, they remain a quality blade. In fact, my front-pocket EDC carry for everyday cutting chores is a S&W Homeland Security folder. My back-pocket tactical carry is always either my Boker AK-101 or my Boker Armed Forces II tanto folder. So we're all "preaching to the choir" at each other here.
BTW, in reference to the Armed Forces I video on YouTube: I received an email from Terry Trahan just moments ago. He assured me that no design flaw existed in the AF (I OR II) and I accept that. I love my AFII and shall continue to carry it.

I will even concede that maybe the knife in the video was a defect. Knives are made by humans. Humans make mistakes, but to really screw up you need access to the internet. I am rather pleased to see not only does this forum HAVE a Boker catagory but I see that the US distributor hires people passionate enough about their jobs to follow this board and try to assist their customers. That's a serious kudos. Not enough people out in the workforce that care enough anymore and its a shame. Probably 3/4ths of my job is customer service. So I can really appreciate the extra steps. As I become aquanted with this site. I hope to see other distributors have dedicated enough employees that are doing the same.

I will even concede that maybe the knife in the video was a defect. Knives are made by humans. Humans make mistakes, but to really screw up you need access to the internet. I am rather pleased to see not only does this forum HAVE a Boker catagory but I see that the US distributor hires people passionate enough about their jobs to follow this board and try to assist their customers. That's a serious kudos. Not enough people out in the workforce that care enough anymore and its a shame. Probably 3/4ths of my job is customer service. So I can really appreciate the extra steps. As I become aquanted with this site. I hope to see other distributors have dedicated enough employees that are doing the same.

Well, for knife manufacturers NOT to follow boards like this would NOT make business sense! We are the customers, we have our requirements and desires and companies will try to accommodate that the best they can. Big firms including those from IT etc. do have moderators that are from customer service i.e. Dell forums for instance.

I'm sure that we all appreciate Terry Trahan comments and hope that he is as active and problem solving because he did clear up this 'TAIWAN' mess for sure.

Whether businesses wish to acknowledge it or not, great customer service brings great business. Although it costs more short term it pays off long term. An ancient lesson practiced and propagated by Arab\Asian tradesmen long ago!

Back