Bow Drill Divot

Moosez45

Custom Antlers, Factory Knives...
Anyone interested in putting a bow drill divot in the handle of your knife? I have always been fascinated with the concept, and have a couple of knives that have divots in them. But I have never used them for a bearing block. Sharp knives, pressure, spinning spindle make me nervous.

Anyone thought about putting a bow drill divot in the handle of their Becker knife? Micarta, not grivory. Or do you think the grivory coud take it?

What about seating a small enclosed bearings for a bearing block? That would certainly allow the RPMs to flow.

Hit me with your best thoughts. (Add '80s theme music on that if you wish.)

Moose

i'm 50/50 on it but when i had my rc-5, i kept it in it's sheath while using it to prevent any mishaps. another advantage of being a lefty is the belt clip didn't get in the way. take that, righties! booyah! haha.

Personally I don't think the Grivory would handle it, the micarta would be sweet, I been thinking about doing it myself.

I have a 5/8 countersink that would work perfect.

picture sucks, sorry
SAM_1754.jpg

I would think that one could add a bearing to the grivory if one was to use a crap ton of JB Weld. If you could find one that was thin enough to go under it, maybe do a circular cut just a hair smaller than the outside of the bearing edge. Course, it would work better with the micarta. Sounds to me like you need to get yourself whipping up some micarta there Moose.

I'm not sure the functionality is worth the work and risks. I think I'd rather try getting a proper material & shape for a socket, then making it into a firesteel handle. Then you can get your beloved dual duty without having to hold a sharp thing near your wrist whilst gyrating violently and focusing on something other than said sharp thing.

I'm not sure the functionality is worth the work and risks. I think I'd rather try getting a proper material & shape for a socket, then making it into a firesteel handle. Then you can get your beloved dual duty without having to hold a sharp thing near your wrist whilst gyrating violently and focusing on something other than said sharp thing.

I always make a bearing block with my kits, takes all of 2 minutes. I was taught to make one stick bow drill kits, like in my tutorial, but, I have antler bearing block, stone bearing block and some other materials, problem is, I don't take them out with me, well, because I don't need them.

I only ask this, because I keep seeing knives coming out with these divots, and I am sure they will do fine, I just don't see the point, other than novelty. But I saw the enclosed bearings in a bracelet over in the WSS forum and I thought, man, you could really burn some wood up with that little setup.

May have to try it out, who knows.

Moose

At first glance those seem cool but I can't imagine ever using one. If you're in a position to need a bow drill, then the last thing you need is to cut the nation out of your hand while trying to start your fire.

Pass.

---

Beckerhead #42

What about one in your sheath? Would definitely be safer.

EDIT:

You know, after looking at that, and looking at my BK2, that would be the perfect thing to go on the backside of the standard sheath. Skateboard bearing would be perfect thickness, and it wouldn't get in the way, and would be a fairly decent use of that dead space there.

I'm just not sold on the idea of a bow drill divot in my handles. It seems that if you have a knife, you could drill a divot into the bearing block of your choice and one wouldn't be necessary on the handle of your blade.

Not to mention the recessed area in the handle seems it would be a likely place for some discomfort during hard use (other than fire starting). However, that is merely speculation as I do not own, nor have I used a knife with a bow drill divot feature.

I will stay open minded though...

Moose, I seen that same wristband on BCUSA.. Personally I think it was a brainstorm of sorts and find it utterly fascinating, is it practical? I don't think so, I mean seriously that is the least hardest part to make in the system..

Before I got my bk2 I was gonna buy an esee5, so naturally when my 2 arrived I thought the only thing missing was the hole, I had thought to recess a hole, apply epoxy and insert a bowed piece of galvanized metal.. (think commercial gang box slugs).. only smaller.

that would increase your rpm's greater then anything.. I see problems with a bearing install.....

myself I'll just use a piece of wood, but who am I to talk I've never gotten fire..... of course I have yet to make a system that works:D

in the esee-5 passaround i tested out the bowdrill divot, worked pretty good. i got some coals but didn't get fire. the spine of the knife assisted in keeping the drill stable, by holding it against my shin. never came close to cutting myself using the divot.

go for it man, saves a bit of time if you really need it.

I think the skateboard bearing is an awesome idea, if you put it in the side of the handle your fingers fall on when in normal use, I don't think it'd be uncomfortable in use. I'd recommend keepin the knife in the sheath while in use as a socket.

I want to outfit my BK9 with micarta scales, so I think I'll try this with the grivory.

The bearing block may be the easiest piece to make, but it's one less piece you would have to make when/if you need to.

Someone on BCUSA suggested using a thrust bearing that can handle lateral loads in place of the skateboard bearings to minimize the risk of bearing failure. Murphy's just waiting for you to really need it.

From a "bushcraft" stand point I much prefer as smaller dedicated bearing block as an integral part of my kit. My favorite so far is made of deer antler and it has worked really well with multiple spindle materials. It is just the right size for my palm and is less strain on the wrist than using a divot on a knife handle.

That said, from a "survival" stand point I really like having a ready-made divot on my knife handle because it saves time by being one less component that needs to be made if it comes to actually needing a friction fire. I have had a couple of knives with divots in the handles. I have never run into any safety issues at all, I've only learned that I do like it better on knives with shorter blades as they are less strain on the wrist.

Would love to see a Tweener "S" with a divot and a section of serrations, but I know I am in the minority so l have no issues with adding those components myself :)

Last edited:
I just dont see the need. If we are in an area that we can make a bowdrill we can make a toprock/socket as well.

I have never tried to use the divot in a knife handle as a bearing block for the bow drill but if I did add a divot to the handles on my BK2 I would likely epoxy in a teaspoon measuring spoon so it didn't wear away the handle.

I guess I need to ask Tony how much wear he's seen in his RC-5 but I didn't notice any wear in the knife handles I used after four fires with one and a half dozen with the other.

Back