Bow Drill Divot

Yes this would work, something that's already cupped.. I'm wondering if the metal would get to hot and break free from the epoxy.. ??

Only one way to find out! ;)

I would expect it to hold if you sanded that back of the teaspoon so that it would bond well and use some good 2 ton epoxy.

You could try it in just a normal piece of wood before modding a knife handle.

I use the divot in my RC-5 all the time. No, it is not easier than a smaller dedicated handhold of stone or bone. It does create less friction than a wood hand hold though. However, the balancing is a bit off and takes time to get used to.

I would prefer not to have a divot in my belt knife as it would sacrafice some comfort in certain grips, but on my pack knife like the RC-5; I like it.

I use the divot in my RC-5 all the time. No, it is not easier than a smaller dedicated handhold of stone or bone. It does create less friction than a wood hand hold though. However, the balancing is a bit off and takes time to get used to.

I would prefer not to have a divot in my belt knife as it would sacrafice some comfort in certain grips, but on my pack knife like the RC-5; I like it.

Thanks Tony, hey, how much is it wearing the divot out? Or does it even bother it at all. Thanks again.

Moose

Thanks Tony, hey, how much is it wearing the divot out? Or does it even bother it at all. Thanks again.

Moose

Sorry for the delayed response Moosey.

Use stains the divot, but I noticed no wear. I have yet to find a wood harder than micarta.:thumbup:

That could be cool , I think if you took an old half used up drill bit it might give you a good shallow divot to use as your bearing block.

Hopefully I will always have a lighter.

That could be cool , I think if you took an old half used up drill bit it might give you a good shallow divot to use as your bearing block.

Hopefully I will always have a lighter.

i just bought a thing called a "peanut lighter". google is your friend on this one.

i just bought a thing called a "peanut lighter". google is your friend on this one.

Part of my EDC stuff for years now is a Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter Lighter. It isn't waaterproof like some of the peanut lighters though.

Did you go the countycomm way?
They got alot of cool stuff.....

i've been a country comm whore for like 15 years or more. i've got stuff on my keychain from them older than most of my friends kids.

heck, in fact, one of my friend's gave all their kids gerber AA lights... nice! then i showed them the one i've had (government model) forever now :) (older than YOU my little girls)

heh

got a large order coming from them. oh yeah.

I get alot of firesteels, Grimloc's and maratac products from them.....good stuff

I need to pick up some paracord soon

I get alot of firesteels, Grimloc's and maratac products from them.....good stuff
I need to pick up some paracord soon

might as well research where to buy SPOOLS of paracord. cut out the middle man. 1000 feet or 1000 meters at a go :)

i don't see how they can sell grimlocs so cheap.

maratac has some great shears and other things

i don't see how they can sell grimlocs so cheap.

$2.00 for one sounds about right, there some places that sell them for cheaper.

As for parcord thats actually a good idea, I would just hate to order 1000 feet and have it be fake paracord.

I got some a while back that was filled with cotton...

$2.00 for one sounds about right, there some places that sell them for cheaper.

As for parcord thats actually a good idea, I would just hate to order 1000 feet and have it be fake paracord.

I got some a while back that was filled with cotton...

cheapest i've seen is $12/4 grimlocs. never even seen below $10, but then, i don't buy a lot. did this time :)

i'm sure there's a few kind souls here that can point you to cheap 550 :)

i need to buy a spool of some good spectra kite line. iirc, it's even STRONGER for it's size, lighter, and well, yah! who doesn't like strong? :)

Sufix braided fishing line is some damn strong stuff.

I fish with it and keep some extra in my pack...

Sufix/PowerPro/Tuffline are all excellent lines

35071_139237216097441_100000334909974_280238_8140011_n.jpg

I suppose that the options are endless. A guy could drill out the micarta or grivory and install some type of roller bearing, then it would spin freely within the bearing race. Myself, I have about 3-4 different fire starting options at various times and never was interested in the bow drill. Even the French\British fur traders back in the 1700's used the latest technology, flint and steel, because starting a fire in a severe climate was life or death.

might as well research where to buy SPOOLS of paracord. cut out the middle man. 1000 feet or 1000 meters at a go :)

I got a spool of 1000 ft for Christmas. I am going to have the missus make me a scarf. Too big? Probably. Ridiculous amount of a single strand of paracord? You betcha.

I suppose that the options are endless. A guy could drill out the micarta or grivory and install some type of roller bearing, then it would spin freely within the bearing race. Myself, I have about 3-4 different fire starting options at various times and never was interested in the bow drill. Even the French\British fur traders back in the 1700's used the latest technology, flint and steel, because starting a fire in a severe climate was life or death.

This true, and anyone that wouldn't is a fool. But I am a firm believer in know the "old fashioned" way, but use modern technology. It still stands, a fire can be made with nothing but a knife, if you have nothing else in your aresenal. I have at least 5 different ways to start a fire on me at all times, the last one to use, is friction fire. But I can do it, should I need to.

Moose

This true, and anyone that wouldn't is a fool. But I am a firm believer in know the "old fashioned" way, but use modern technology. It still stands, a fire can be made with nothing but a knife, if you have nothing else in your aresenal. I have at least 5 different ways to start a fire on me at all times, the last one to use, is friction fire. But I can do it, should I need to.

Moose

Lets hear all 5!

Moose

Wow Moose. Did you use your WABAC Machine to quote upnorth? Hmmmmm. I guess that wouldn't realy put you into the future...

And if you were to use a skateboard bearing (or something similar) how would you keep it clean?

Lets hear all 5!

Bic, Matches (W/W), firesteel, fresnel lense, friction fire (paracord). Bic in my pocket, matches in my tobacco pouch, firesteel (x2) 1 in the pocket, one under the paracord on my sheath, fresnel lens in my wallet, friction fire in knife, sheath, and head.

Moose

Back