Buck "Survival" Knife?

I might take a 103, as I have had good luck with this knife, before. I would file off the hump, though (as I did before). I do not envision myself chopping down trees with a knife. I carry a light hatchet for such tasks.

Although I can't go a single Saturday without wearing my Vanguard 692 because of its versatility, I would have to go with the Punk. Not too big, not too small, bullet proof construction, and it looks cool too.

DSCN0138.jpg

I might take a 103...I do not envision myself chopping down trees with a knife....I carry a light hatchet for such tasks.

Penalty! You only get one knife or one hatchet, not both. :p :D :thumbup:

103 Skinner - 1
106 Hatchet – 1
124 Frontiersman – 3
184 Buckmaster - 1
192 Vanguard - 1
317 Trailblazer– 1
620 Reaper – 1
639 Fieldmate – 1
651 Nighthawk – 1
888 Buck/Strider – 1
Hoodlum - 2
Punk - 1

Very interesting mix, so far, with no clear leader.

Excellent choice, Father Clamp. I'll add it to the tally soon. Thanks! :thumbup:

Hmmm, no 120 yet - even though the 1965 catalog description says...

GENERAL - Model #120 - Heavy Bowie-styled knife. This knife is used by many as a survival knife. Good for all-round camp use, chopping game and as a fighting knife. :)

Well, I started to list my 120, but it is too big to be lugging around. It is a great camp knife but I prefer the 102 and 103 for all around usefulness. Many people like too much knife, I think. George "Nessmuk" Sears used a 4.25" blade for his excursions, I believe.

Well, I started to list my 120, but it is too big to be lugging around. It is a great camp knife but I prefer the 102 and 103 for all around usefulness. Many people like too much knife, I think. George "Nessmuk" Sears used a 4.25" blade for his excursions, I believe.

I 100% agree, Doc. My favorite blade length is 4-5" for general use, but under this "survival" scenario, I think a little longer, heavier blade would be useful for building shelter and producing firewood.

The molded handles of the 600th (602, 603, 619, 620, 639 ...), bekome weak after using - and not only hard using. These knives are absolutely not good for survival compared with no chance for knife change even though i like them because of the good grip of the handle Haebbie

You are probably about the loosening but I assume it's only got to last me until I make it home.... :p

Hoodlum. Was my first big knife that proved to me a big knife could do little knife jobs. My son absconded with that knife. I want another.

Last edited:
Thumb, Though I don't own the Hoodlum, I have to agree with you, based on my use of the model 120. I've carried my 120 for years and used it on cleaning fish, rabbits, deer, hogs and elk. Plus, some camp duty use. I've come to realize that size knife is not too large to make small cuts or for bigger jobs. DM

After reading everyone's posts, and giving this a lot of thought. Factoring in not knowing tons, or even pounds about all the Buck Knives out there.

Here were my top three,
1. 119
2. 124
3. 105

The 119, I was surprised that the 119 was shown no love at all in this poll.
I just received my first 119 in Brass last week. I like it. It seems to have a ton of potential. If I factor in a defensive posture heavily, I would give the 119 the nod. Quite a knife, and I am truly sorry I waited this long to acquire one. I just don't have enough experience with it yet to trust my life to it. That may change as I get it out a bit.

The 124, I have one. I haven't used it much yet. If shelter building and wood processing were at the top of my survival criteria. I think the 124 would get the nod. Long tough blade, full tang, time tested bowie design. Yet still capable of game processing and defensive postures.

The 105, this knife is also somewhat new to me. (yes Buck Knife Fever has slowly crept into my life). But I must say, it would be the one I would grab. From the moment I took it out of the box. It just felt like it belonged in my hand. More so than the other Bucks I have acquired and possibly more than any other knife I own. That says an aweful lot!

My version of survival has morphed over the years. As has my version of camping and indeed life itself. About 10 years ago in my mid forties, I began to make strides towards a simpler lifestyle. I just felt there was a better way. I was never extravagant by any means. I just felt I could do better.

For all you budding survivalists, take whatever knife you have chosen in this poll. Proceed directly to your living room and drive that knife directly into your Television set. I gave up TV over six years and six months ago. $72.00/month adds up quick. But I digress, and realize this is not a path most will follow.

When you begin to look at survival and indeed life without the aid of the Madison Avenue marketing complex. Life makes more sense. I tend to reference the early pioneers for information. I figure they had to survive with what they had, or what they brought. Having to live out of your wagon once you've stopped along the trail, until you get your cabin up. Often in hostile territory. Would make every item count.

Over time, I have adopted the philosopghy that almost everything I own should do the following, especially my so called survival gear;

1. Serve more than one purpose (3-4 being optimal)
2. Work with or without the grid (it started with my old style perk coffe pot)
3. Be portable. (survival may or may not be dynamic)
4. Provide good value and long service life

I could go deeper, but I don't want to bore folks.

So how did I come to choose the 105? Well it fits me very well. It meets all the above criteria.

More importantly. When I look at survival without the aid of televison to cloud my mind. I see it as three major sections. I list them below in order of what I consider most important.

1. Body temperature,
If you cant maintain it you're dead, nothing else matters if you can't regulate your core temperature.
I see the ability to make fire as number one. Followed by shelter craft.

2. Hydration,
The second most important thing is water. It also aids in keeping your temps where they need to be.
I live in extreme northern New York. The water from my yard runs into Canada. At present safe drinable water is easily found.

3. Calories,
You simply must ingest more calories than you expend. Or you will die.

When I look at the 105. I think it blends all those factors well. Not the best of any one sector. But decent at all. Possibly tops in turning feathered, finned, or hooved calories into tasty bite size servings.

I'm a boring guy when it comes to survival. My go to gun of choice is a .22WRM levergun. I love my .45/70, but it would not be my first choice. Because it comes up short in many areas, especially portability. A thousand rounds of .22 WRM fits in my pocket. A thousand rounds of .45/70 fits in my truck. Plus it lacks versatilty. Espicially in the partridge and squirrel area.

I don't get too excited about survival. I do get pretty excited about living. Also, I am somewhat concerned with not dying.

I like living simple. The 105 does kitchen duty, then heads right out with me for camp chores. This knife has become a fast favorite, because of its versatility and portability. My 102 has been a long time companion and has never disappointed me.
But I feel the 105 adds just enough to the equation to eclipse it in a survival situation.

For me defense is a long ways down the trail, partially because of where I live. I find knives to be bad defensive weapons anyway. But they craft spears, bows, arrows and clubs well.

In truth, I have put a great deal of thought into not dying. And even more into daily living.

The more simple and independent your life becomes. The less dependent you become on the grid and other modern conveniences. The easier the transition to a survival situation should be. If it ever becomes necessary.

Honorable Mention - The New Selkirk. Just not enough info for me yet.

I apologize for the long explanation. But I figure it pays for people to know how and why you reach a certain conclusion.

Last edited:
Great post, LV! I enjoyed hearing your perspective on survival. I don't think anyone would want to find themselves in a situation like I described in my original post, but it is interesting to see the different reasoning for everyone's decision. I'll put you down for a 105, which is hands down my favorite fixed blade knife of all knives. Remember, there's no wrong answer. :)

ETA: That's a beautiful knife and photo! :thumbup:

Last edited:
060 Hoodlum - 3
065 Punk - 1
070 Thug - 1
103 Skinner - 1
105 Pathfinder - 1
106 Hatchet – 1
124 Frontiersman – 4
184 Buckmaster - 1
192 Vanguard - 1
317 Trailblazer– 1
620 Reaper – 1
639 Fieldmate – 1
651 Nighthawk – 1
888 Buck/Strider – 1

Though it's new and yet unproven, I think I would have to go with the 104 Camp knife if I have to choose a buck.

I personally don't think I could trust 420HC or S30V for "survival". When I think about chopping I worry about chipping. When I think about batoning, I worry about breaking. Tool steel or spring steels, despite their lack of corrosion resistance compared to the nickel steels, I would rather risk some corrosion than irreversible damage when my survival depends on it.

Back