• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Buying the latest Northwoods from KSF

Danke42.. I had the same experience with the Bear Lake.. time to actually browse. On this one I clicked a Giraffe bone that looked good after glancing for about 1 second and rushed to complete purchase. I was lucky that it all worked out. I think the Hawthornes.. along with the Fremonts and maybe the Burnsides are just so desired. They really are amazing knives all the way around and come up.. what.. twice each so far? Maybe just once on the Burnsides?

Videorecipes, I agree with your sentiments across the board. Its a mixed bag. I am guilty of admiring rather then day to day using some of my Northwoods.. mostly cause they are so dang pretty I just like to coon finger and chicken eye and I have many others I enjoy using with only so much pocket space =) I do like clip blades more then the wharnies for actually use so things might be different this time around.

As long as there are those that are willing to pay 2, 3, even 4 hundred and more for a $120.00 knife, this issue will exist.
For many brand names, not only Northwoods.
I don't think that blame lies with the manufacturer or the retailer.

Last edited:
I for sure have a bad want for that burlap wharnie on the Hawthorne Jack page. I've followed KSF on Instagram and put them to the number one feed on Facebook along with subscribing to his email updates so fingers crossed there will be a chance.

For what they go for on the secondary market you could have a custom built. No aggravation and you have something no one else has.

Since we're talking about the buying process here - has anybody heard any news on the remainder of the batch from GEC?

Added a wharncliffe Hawthorne to my cart, immediately went to check out, and "Quantity not available". That was at 3 minutes after release and maybe 20 seconds to load the checkout page. I've had great service from KSF for years, but WTF with this setup.

You guys have to be told OVER and over and over again how this process works and you're still taking 3 minutes to choose a knife... Oh well, more for me

Last edited:
I have an idea. Why don't the presell them to folks who stare at an overpriced forum all day.... Their method could not be anymore fair. Very, very well done KSF

P.S. Sorry edited language. I thought I was in the wine n cheese forum

Last edited:
3 minutes after 2pm, which was exactly when the site loaded with the inventory, which you would know had you been watching the clock when ordering yours.

I have email confirmation with my order from 2:01pm. Maybe you have internet issues. I shouldn't have been such a jerk. I like the way KSF does it.

I feel fortunate to have snagged one. I nabbed the one I wanted and then went back to actually look and see if something else caught my eye and they were mostly gone. A few of the wharncliff camel bones hung around for maybe 8-10 minutes at the most it seemed like. My confirmation email is from 2:02 p.m.

Looks like Knives Ship Free didn't order enough of them. I didn't even have time to look in till twenty after and they were all gone.

Well those dollars go into the Spyderco/Warriors and Wonders jar now. Never being able to buy new from the dealer sure does cool my interest in Northwoods as a brand.

I was fast enough to add a denim to my cart but don't have auto fill on my CC so I was not fast enough to procure one. I went back to see if I could try to get a burlap npbut those were gone. While looking for the burlap, I fell hard for a mammoth and was able to finalize the purchase before someone snagged it. It'll be my first mammoth so that's pretty cool.

I had forgotten about the sale... I checked at 2pm Western time and they still had a few giraffe bones in stock. Snagged a clip point. Can't wait to see it.

I loaded 3 different knives into my cart went to Paypal and got unavailable message... after the third time I called, the kid that answered was less than interested. I'm sure Derrick would be thrilled with how Jay (i believe was his name), made an (idiot that spends thousands of dollars a month on knives), I mean a CUSTOMER feel about their HORRIBLE system... Derrick seems like a good guy, but they have to fix that joke of a setup.

I made my purchase from my cell phone, in the parking lot of a rural post office. My first selection was unavailable; so I had to choose another. It probably wasn't my ideal, but I'm happy with my selection. I went back after completing, and found another that I liked better...but decided to leave it for somebody else.
I've only got one other Northwoods - a Broadway Jack in black camel bone - and I've been unable to bring myself to use. Not sure how I'll feel about this one; but if it ends up sitting on the shelf, it will probably have to go. (I suppose I could like it better than the Broadway, which might prompt me to either use or release that)

Back