Calling it quits, no more damascus

I am truly sad and sorry to hear this. I've been on this forum since the first month of its existence. I have always held your Damascus as the mist innovative and best produced in the industry. I was hoping to use some for my first Damascus blade. I hope you find resolution in your health problems.

Best of luck with health and everything else hoss
Your work and more importantly to me your words on the forums here are a great inspiration to me

Yeah, I remember that guy, he suggested that I read more and post less. Funny

Thanks everyone for your kindness.

Hoss

DevinT, when you post something that is different from what I thought I knew, my immediate response is that I am probably wrong. From a science background, I question everything, and everybody, but you and Larrin are correct so often that I check my sources before replying. There is a wealth of information that I hope you keep sharing.

I had to give up on my dream of being a world class knifemaker due to progressive health issues. I make decent knives, and love heat treating, but I will never be able to do MS level precision due to my neuropathy. I make users for people, and enjoy that. I’m hoping you find sustainable joy in what comes next for you.

As an aside, I’ve returned to building and repairing guitars. Working with wood is less impactful on the neuropathy, and seems more sustainable. I simply can’t work fast enough to make a living working with my hands.

I've run across a couple of guys in recent years who said stuff like that. :D
I remember that one time a knifemaker, who no longer post here, was questioning DevinT forging knowledge LOL LOL LOL

Good times

Bummer Hoss that your health is forcing retirement from commercial Damasus. PLEASE don't be a stranger to the forum - Between you and Larrin, ya'll have contributed so much to the world of knifemaking. I think I speak for all of us when I say THANK YOU!

Ken H>

I, too, wish you and yours the very best. Being only 5 years my senior, you're too young to have health issues force a lifestyle change. Hopefully this is the only thing you need to stop doing.

Sorry to hear this. I haven't been active on here much and I've only made a few knives. However your name comes up often as a go to source with a good reputation.
Take care of your health. That's the prime thing.
Good luck

I'm a relatively new knifemaker, little over a year, so really don't know you, but, you have been so forthcoming with help and information when asked, I feel like you are a true friend. I had hoped to use some of your steel some day, but perhaps it will be enough to read about it. My prayer is for your health to improve, thanks and God's blessings.

Very sad to hear. I’ve been talking with some very talented makers who used your steel and thought highly of it, I had hoped to use some myself one day. Regardless your health is the most important thing you possess, hopefully things will improve and you’ll be able to continue doing what you please. I do hope you and Larrin will continue to have a presence here, everyone here would be much worse off without both of you. Thank you for the contributions you’ve made to knife making and the community. Best wishes and prayers Hoss.

Much Respect and Best Wishes for a Better Healthier Future. Thanks for always chiming in with Knowledge and Suggestions!!

If you write a book I will buy it even though its unlikely that I will make it. After spending 20 years in the welding field I think it would be a great source of what is possible as well as a insight into one of the stepping stones of modern knife making. I have only been doing this for 3 years but I have learned that the mark of a good recipe is that someone get it from Devin Thomas :D. I hope that I can find a piece of your steel just to say I have worked with it. There was only one choice really for me when I told people were I would sorce my Damascus. I wish you the best in your recovery. Health is important and to easy to let slide for the sake of work. Your family and the community is grateful.

Best wishes for your health well being and retirement, you sure put out some pretty steel in your day.

Doug

Back