Calling it quits, no more damascus

Dang Hoss, I was wanting to have you make me a Stainless Damascus blank....I have a lot of knowledgeable contacts in the health care arena--if you want to bounce any questions off of somebody health-wise. When the hospital tried to kill me 7 years ago, I wound up in a coma for 3 months and lost all the nerves in my feet and ankles--I learned first hand how important it can be to have someone to bounce health questions off of.

Best Wishes brother!

I found a piece. Not the ladder that I wanted but super cool. In 5 years I'm going to kick myself for not getting it all but money is never unlimited. It's a honor sir. This is one knife that is going to stay in my kitchen.

I'm glad to hear that you will be able to continue to work on your own projects. Sorry to hear about you having health issues. I always look forward to seeing any of your replies in these threads you are very generous with your knowledge and I want to take this time to say thank you I appreciate the input you give sharing your wisdom.
Best of luck with your health
Gilbert

I never really cared for most Damascus as the patterns were too bold for me. Then I happened on some photographs of your work. Truly inspirational craftsmanship that changed my outlook.

Best wishes and recovery

Tim

A little late here, but sorry to here this Hoss. Holler at me brother if you need anything, or just want to talk.

At least now you have time to learn how to forge! LMAO. I scan threads as newbie and when your name comes up in a thread I pay attention. Because I know you speak the truth! Please keep giving advise to this forum. Without people like you giving free advice, Great advice, this forum like others would be a waste of time.

Last edited:
Sad news for sure. Thank you for all your innovations and contributions to the craft and industry over the years. I hope you'll still continue to contribute here. Your help is invaluable.

Sorry to hear this. Best wishes for your health. In the short time I have been making knives and been on the forum, I've found when certain people post, I pay attention. You sir are one of those.

I may write a book someday.

Hoss
. Hoss, Health Always comes first! —————————————-It’s not worth causing any more health issues! I’ve had to back off on the amount of knives I make! ———————You set the BAR with the quality of your Damascus :thumbsup:———————————— I’m that nut that had you forge weld a length of 440c on each end of the few billets I purchased over the years. Writing a book and perhaps consult with others that wish to go into Damascus Production? Life has many Facets! I wish the the Very Best!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dang Hoss, I'm sorry to hear about your health problem. I hope things improve.

Due to health problems, I am no longer making commercial damascus for sale. It’s been a good run. I will make some for my own projects.

I made my first damascus in 1986, started selling it around ‘89, went full time in the early ‘90’s.

We inovated several things that most makers use to this day.

It’s a sad day for me.

Thanks to all who have helped and supported us over the years.

Hoss

I met you in Las Vegas back in '98 at the Vegas Knife Show just after SHOT.

I purchased a really nice billet of stainless Damascus. I honestly cannot remember what I used it on but I am sure it still it's still in my collection.

You are a pioneer in our small world and I wish you everything of the best for the future.

Best wishes and regards:thumbsup::)

Steven

Best wishes on your health, I hope things improve now that you have more time to focus on health.

I hope that perhaps one of your 6 children take up the torch, have any of them become involved or shown interest?

It's been my privilege to have owned knives that featured your fine steel. I wish you, and your family, the very best.

If you had time to show more photos of your equipment and talk about what you do I'd read it all.

Losing weight is not as easy as the skinny folks think it is, but it really helps.

I'm really sorry to hear about your health issues and retirement as a result. I hope that with time and rest they improve. I have the pleasure to own a few of your damascus and they are among my favorite knives. IMG_20170526_201629~01-1.jpg IMG_20190130_083914_699.jpg IMG_20170409_114741~01~01.jpg

I'm saddened to read that you're not making the damascus so many of us have loved over the years, but even sadder to read of your health issues. :(

Like the person above, allow me to show a couple of my favorites with your damascus.

UG_Vines&RosesDamascus-Balcony8.jpg

UG_Sinewaves_Stone-1-.jpg

2008Annual_Ivory-Stone5Lg-.jpg

UG_DoneByChris-Balcony1.jpg

LV_Ladder-Stone6-5.jpg

2005Mammoth-Balcony_3.jpg

UG_BothSpiros-Balcony3.jpg

GoldCoin_Balcony2-2.jpg

Thank you, and best wishes always. :)

bf493q.jpg

That is some of your stainless steel damascus Devin, Andrew Shinosky is the knife maker. Been talking to him lately, and this thread made me think of this knife.

Back