Camp Knife Challenge Results!!!!!

I often get to see Rick's work before anyone else does,, and literally watched the birth of a knife maker from nearly the beginning... It's been like watching a child grow up before your eyes..

We're all just waiting for him to get done with puberty. After that is should be smooth sailing :D

I find it a bit funny that the talk about the fit and finish section of the review being of benefit to the makers. I never intended it that way at all! I see it now that you guys are pointing it out, but I really intended it to be for the reader. Here is my thinking.

When I looked at the knives, I just took photos of the things I saw. I did not want to advertise to any of the makers that I was intending to do this, because I did not want any special attention paid to the specific knife that was sent to me. I wanted it to be a representation of what any member here would get if they ordered a knife from each maker. From my past experience, that seemed pretty true of the knives I received.

Photography can be pretty tricky stuff. When we all take "glamor shots" the direction of light can actually hide a whole lot of stuff. It might not be intentional, but there are is no way around that happening. So, in order to catch the flaws I had to avoid "glamor shot" lighting, and concentrate on lighting that would highlight the flaw. Not something normally done.

If I did only glamor shots, and then someone got a knife and saw all the things I saw, I could see how people would be ticked at me : ) That whole section was just about showing what I saw and therefore letting the reader see it too.

B

Hey Brian..

No,, Feedback both good and bad is Much needed and Important...

There is Absolutely Nothing wrong with Critique as long as it's constructive..

As a manufacturer I pay Close attention to not only what people like about my work,, but even More Importantly about what they Don't like about it..

If there is a Detail missed, Shabby Craftsmanship in my work, I For Sure want to know about it....

Good Feedback is Good to have,, However Bad Feedback helps you not make the same mistakes, or focus on an area that needs Improvement ..

It's the Bad Feedback that makes me a better designer and Craftsman, and is what may give me the Edge over the next guy...

Sure it Sucks when we read " Rick's Grinds are a little Wavy" but Hey,, It is what it Is... :)

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

Now everyone, put your knives through the same test and see which design wins. I cant, dont own anything that chops.

I would just like to say thank you Brian. I learned a lot from your review! Codos!

WOW!! Just saw this. Very impressive. What a fun thing to participate in!! Thanks so much to Brian and Pitt!

I find it a bit funny that the talk about the fit and finish section of the review being of benefit to the makers. I never intended it that way at all! I see it now that you guys are pointing it out, but I really intended it to be for the reader. Here is my thinking.

When I looked at the knives, I just took photos of the things I saw. I did not want to advertise to any of the makers that I was intending to do this, because I did not want any special attention paid to the specific knife that was sent to me. I wanted it to be a representation of what any member here would get if they ordered a knife from each maker. B

I liked that part because I'm always seeing stuff like that and I'm wondering if I'm just picky or if other people just don't notice it.

As far as the grind to me a lot of times it seems like that, which in my opinion should be one of the most important parts, for it to be sharp, is often only an afterthought on some blades.

Can't tell you how many times I've picked up a new blade, put it to my arm to see if it shaves, then gone out toward the point or near the ricasso and found it dull as hell.

Then holding it up to the light a lot of times the tip will be at a totally difft angle and then the two sides of the edge near the ricasso aren't even meeting up and you can see the flat part where the edge doesn't meet up reflecting.

Seems a lot of times like just the one place on the edge where you would naturally put it to your arm or on a stick to cut is sharp and the rest not.:thumbdn:

Would seem to be an easy thing to do to at least turn the blade upward to the light.

Also on handles you'd think if you are using nice wood why not fully sand and finish it?

On the defense of knifemakers (and this may mean little to non-makers) there is alot going on when making a blade. Your mind tends to wander to the next step or reflects back to what you've already done. Sometimes its hard to put it all together. (and that happens to the best in the business)

I compare it to watching TV.... Les Stroud's "Survivorman" for example. We can sit back and watch the show, critiquing every move that man makes... "Why didn't he put bait on the trigger stick of his deadfall?", "His shelter would have been better up on the bank instead of in the sand.", "I would have used my shirt (instead of my hands) to catch the birds coming out of the nest." For the most part you are exactly right... but put yourself into that situation and the mindset is totally different. I'm sure when Les watches the footage he cringes at some of the goofy errors he makes... hindsight is 20/20 they say.

Making a proper knife is an orchestration of time, materials, energy, and thought. We are not computers.... well except for "Robot Ray".

Rick

On the defense of knifemakers (and this may mean little to non-makers) there is alot going on when making a blade. Your mind tends to wander to the next step or reflects back to what you've already done. Sometimes its hard to put it all together. (and that happens to the best in the business)

I compare it to watching TV.... Les Stroud's "Survivorman" for example. We can sit back and watch the show, critiquing every move that man makes... "Why didn't he put bait on the trigger stick of his deadfall?", "His shelter would have been better up on the bank instead of in the sand.", "I would have used my shirt (instead of my hands) to catch the birds coming out of the nest." For the most part you are exactly right... but put yourself into that situation and the mindset is totally different. I'm sure when Les watches the footage he cringes at some of the goofy errors he makes... hindsight is 20/20 they say.

Making a proper knife is an orchestration of time, materials, energy, and thought. We are not computers.... well except for "Robot Ray".

Rick

All of these things are why I have so much admiration for people that make nice things. My dad can make anything, he has the talent and the patience required. I have some talent but I have the patience of a three year old kid high on sugar.
I'd love to buy a beer for all of you guys that make the knives and other tools we all love.:thumbup:

Each time the blade passses the belt I'm thinking ok, need to thin it at bit at the edge - but more towards the tip, and set this plung back just a hair to make it even with the other side, and walk the grind up towards the spine but only a little don't want to over do it, and don't wobble or it will take 5-10 perfect passes to fix......then run the blade across the belt have a look to what it needs for the next one.....

Ya... that sounds about right, Bruce. Try saying it outloud next time... they'll think you're nuts.

Rick

Each time the blade passses the belt I'm thinking ok, need to thin it at bit at the edge - but more towards the tip, and set this plung back just a hair to make it even with the other side, and walk the grind up towards the spine but only a little don't want to over do it, and don't wobble or it will take 5-10 perfect passes to fix......then run the blade across the belt have a look to what it needs for the next one.....

Bruce, this concentration is evident in the 2 blades i have from you. this is what we buyers are hoping for with every custom knife we buy; superior cutting ability. and it doesn't just 'happen', it must be created by the maker and in part, his ability to concentrate.
after buying a few custom knives, i realized not all are even good cutters, let alone superior.
to me, a knife's cutting ability is by far it's most important feature. to my surprise i have learned that this is not universal. some people collect customs by looks and are not concerned about cutting because they never cut anything.
roland

Hey Brian....What kinda camera do you shoot?

Here ya go Jake:thumbup::D

It just pisses me off when someone says "nice photos, you must have a really good camera." That's a typical response from someone who has never practiced being a photographer . They never even consider that a "good camera" can never make up for bad lighting, bad composition or a lack of understanding of F-stops, focal points, etc. Most people are point and shoot operators behind the lens and don't have a clue as to what they're doing with a "really nice camera."

Sorry for the rant, but I take my photo work seriously.... :D

Good lookin out Tony. :jerkit:

:D

I shoot most of my pics with a Kodak easyshare....Does a good job, but Im wanting something that gets better detail close ups.... I cant seem to get mine to capture sharp images up close...Always blurry. :rolleyes: Ive tried differant compositions, light tents etc....I am thinking its actually my cameras limitations.....

Ruben posted up a nice camera once that he uses....Cant remember where though.....

Back