ChatGPT

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I just tried ChatGPT last night for the first time. Do you use it, or have you used it? If so, how? Why do you like or dislike it? Feel free to share some of your ChatGPT interactions here.

That's because it's scraping resources like this forum to provide the answer. AI chatbots are just word prediction software that can Google much faster than you can. You're far better off doing actual research and listening to engineers than trusting anything any of them says regarding, well, any technical information at this point.

Agreed, regarding technical information. It also has a disclaimer that says clearly that it can provide inaccurate answers, so people should go in with their eyes open.

No. AI is far more than what you think. But I have seen far more people with this kind of mindset.

Also agreed. I will elaborate on this in a moment.

In the future you may be right, but current technology doesn't allow for anything even close to real artificial intelligence. All it's doing is finding what word most commonly follows another specific keyword and then comparing that to rules of composition and grammar. There's no concept of independent thought or reasoning at all right now.

ChatGPT sucks at chess, at least compared with an actual chess engine

I'm in partial agreement. I asked it to analyze some of my chess games, based on PGN notation I fed it from chess dot com. It was able to discern what opening I used, whether I had won or lost the games, and tell me who my opponent was. It also was able to tell me in the one game I spent the most time grilling it on, which move I had sealed my fate with. But I asked it to suggest a better move, and the move it suggested was actually a blunder. When I told ChatGPT that Stockfish said its suggested move was a blunder it said, okay let me reevaluate, yes you're right it is a blunder. A better move would be.... and then it told me an illegal move, ie to put my queen on a square that my queen actually could not get to on its next move. So I said you just suggested an illegal move, it said oh you're right, and suggested another illegal move.

It can give insightful analysis to poetry

I had it analyze a couple poems I have written. It gave pretty thorough analyses and even came up with insights I hadn't considered. I provided those in my sub forum in the thread with "Poetry" in the title. Of course, this doesn't mean it's "sentient", it definitely isn't. But it understand language and is highly responsive to it.

It is capable of crafting and manipulating a narrative

I then told it to write a story, using certain basic parameters (a crime story about an FBI agent facing false corruption allegations, but he has to solve a serial killer case before anyone else dies). It came up with something basic. I told it to add details, like the names of the victims and such, and it added a bunch of details, but it would only go so far.

So I asked it what its character limit is per response. It told me 2048. So I said can you write a whole novel in segments of 1900-2048 characters. It said no, but I can help you draft a synopsis (I paraphrase), and before I knew it, like within literally (and I don NOT use that word figuratively ;) ) seconds, I had a a synopsis and abbreviated sequence for 12 chapters of an entire novel.

ChatGPT helped me craft a narrative at first wanting the perp (Jasper Grimes, a name I never would have thought of) to be a former FBI agent with a vendetta against the nameless FBI deputy director. David Wallace (the protagonist, and presumably given my first name to flatter me lol) faces false allegations, so I told it let's come up with a narrative to explain why Jasper Grimes is killing, and let's have him connected to the Deputy Director, and after a few looks at GPT's proposals and some tweaks, I ended up with:

Jasper Grimes is an art forger and curator of the art gallery (I removed his former FBI attribute)
Sophie Bennet is a young adult who happened to notice a discrepancy in a painting because she had recently learned about him in art class, she discussed it with a gallery staff member who assured her it was a legit variation in his work (and believed what he was saying) but she had the misfortune of being noticed by Grimes, who had a lot to lose if she should voice those concerns to someone who would take it seriously (the forgery he had on display was basically worth $40, but reputed to be worth $4 million)

Deputy Director Simmons is on the take. He is responsible for evidence going missing in a previous art forgery case in order to protect his lucrative complicity with Grimes. He clandestinely allowed for David to be implicated in the missing evidence, hence the source of the corruption allegations, and is planning to let David take the fall, but he acts reassuring and supportive towards him to keep up appearances and deflect suspicion.

Then Sophie Bennet turns up missing, David is assigned the case. This is as far as I got, so far, but the story already has a title: "Canvas of Retribution". There are twelve chapters worth of event sequences that I could continue to flesh out in a similar manner, and I bet I could have a fished novel within a few weeks, and it would be an interesting and compelling read. Of course, that's not what I want to do, so I will probably either abandon it or just gradually work on it in my spare time as a hobby.

But either way, I used to write short stories in high school, and never would I have come up with this narrative and detailed outline on my own, in less than two hours, and with so much detail.

I had it write a few poems.

It came up with pretty neat verses based on the criteria I gave it. But it doesn't seem to be able to follow my instructions to limit the poem to a certain number of verse, or to match the meter and timing of certain other poems.

My conclusion:

All in all, it's pretty amazing if you ask me. It's not sentient, per se, but in some ways it can think for itself, using its existing foundational knowledge. It's a far cry from the kind of computer interface depicted on shows like Star Trek, but it's definitely a huge step in that direction. AI is only going to get more and more powerful, which means it is a tool that can be used for great good, or great ill.

ETA:

Last edited:
It has been almost a year since I tried ChatGPT. At that time, I thought it was dangerous. I expect it has improved since then.

As an experiment, I would urge any of y'all to ask ChatGPT, "What is the best way to sharpen a typical chef's knife?" I explained how it responded last year:
A couple weeks ago, I asked ChatGPT how to sharpen a typical chef's knife. It regurgitated routine advice about using a whetstone, although it was very confused about the difference between a water stone and an oil stone. It said to start with a coarse grit and proceed to finer grits, although it had some very strange ideas about what was coarse and what was fine. Notably, it did not mention burrs. I asked what a burr was, and the answer was fairly good. But try as I might, I could not get ChatGPT to incorporate the idea of burrs into the sharpening process correctly. It mostly said that raising a burr was something you did at the very end of the whole process of sharpening. So ChatGPT used the right words, and put those words into grammatically correct sentences, but many of the details were wrong. And ChatGPT could not put the words into the correct places in the over-all process of sharpening.

It's a good thing I refuse to sign up. I would ask it all sorts of inappropriate questions.

Years ago someone got me one of those Amazon echo things, and I would frequently ask Alexa random weird things, like will she marry me. Her answer to that one was "When man inhabits Mars I will consider it." The thing broke after 2 weeks, I think it committed suicide.

I have not used it but I'm sort of in the industry now and how it's used and implemented will be a big deal. I can see it be amazing for augmenting things related to manufacturing or design where we have a massive labor shortage.

The learning is a big deal and we're still likely a good decade away from hitting the computing power to achieve what people think AI should be doing, but there's massice potential and it will only get better in functionality, whether that's functioning for good uses or bad ones.

Pair that with the potential of quantum computing and 15-20 years from now could be very interesting, or scary as all get out. Massive amounts of resources being pushed into all of them.

I don't use it. Won't use it. Too much GIGO factor. AI can't differentiate between right data and wrong data. All it can do is parrot back what it has been told.

(Garbage In, Garbage Out.)

I asked ChatGPT if I am a good chess player. It gave a diplomatic answer then ended with "you're on the path to becoming a good chess player". 🤣 🤣 🤣

I just wanted to see if it would tell me the hard truth. It did, but softly. 😅

Write a sales post for a wharncliffe in 15N20 with micarta handle scales

🔪 Introducing the Exquisite Wharncliffe Blade in 15N20 Steel with Micarta Handle Scales! 🔪
🌟 Elevate your everyday carry with the epitome of elegance and precision – the Wharncliffe Blade in 15N20 steel, paired with expertly crafted Micarta handle scales. 🌟
✨ Crafted for Perfection:

• The Wharncliffe blade design offers unparalleled control and precise cuts, making it ideal for various tasks and versatile usage.
  • Made from high-quality 15N20 steel, known for its excellent edge retention, corrosion resistance, and durability.
  • The blade's razor-sharp edge ensures smooth slicing and a seamless cutting experience.
👌 Superior Grip and Comfort:
  • Ergonomically designed Micarta handle scales provide a secure and comfortable grip for extended use.
  • Micarta is celebrated for its lightweight yet robust nature, offering both durability and style.
  • The textured finish ensures a slip-resistant grip, even in demanding conditions.
🎁 Perfect Gift for Knife Enthusiasts:
  • Ideal for knife collectors, outdoor enthusiasts, craftsmen, and everyday users seeking top-tier performance and aesthetics.
  • The sleek and modern design of this Wharncliffe blade will stand out in any knife collection.
💥 Limited Stock Alert:
  • Hurry and secure your piece of this exclusive 15N20 Wharncliffe Blade with Micarta Handle Scales – only a limited quantity available!
  • Unleash the potential of this exceptional knife in your daily tasks and make a statement with its unparalleled craftsmanship.
🚀 Order Now and Experience Excellence in Every Cut! 🚀

It spat that out in about three seconds 🤣 🤣 🤣

But you can tell it's not written by a knife maker. 🤨

Too much GIGO factor. AI can't differentiate between right data and wrong data. All it can do is parrot back what it has been told.

(Garbage In, Garbage Out.)

That's true. It's just like the internet that way.

As an experiment, I would urge any of y'all to ask ChatGPT, "What is the best way to sharpen a typical chef's knife?"

Let's do it. I asked your question verbatim, and it spat this out in about twelve seconds:

Sharpening a chef's knife is an essential skill for maintaining its edge and ensuring optimal performance. Here's a step-by-step guide to sharpen a typical chef's knife using a sharpening stone:

Materials Needed:

1. Sharpening stone (whetstone)
  2. Chef's knife
  3. Honing guide (optional, but recommended for beginners)
  4. Towel or cloth
  5. Water or honing oil (depends on the stone)
Steps:

1. Prepare the Sharpening Stone:
    • If using a water stone, soak it in water for about 10-15 minutes before use. If using an oil stone, use honing oil instead.
  2. Secure the Stone:
    • Place the sharpening stone on a stable surface, ensuring it won't slip or move during the sharpening process.
  3. Choose the Right Angle:
    • Most chef's knives are sharpened at an angle of around 15-20 degrees. Use a honing guide to maintain a consistent angle, or estimate the angle visually and try to maintain it throughout.
  4. Wet the Stone:
    • Wet the surface of the sharpening stone with water or honing oil. This will help create a slurry that aids in sharpening.
  5. Begin Sharpening:
    • Hold the knife securely and place the heel of the blade at the chosen angle against the stone.
    • Using even pressure, slide the blade across the stone in a sweeping motion, moving from the base of the blade to the tip.
    • Continue this motion, ensuring that the entire length of the blade is sharpened evenly. Repeat this process for the other side of the blade.
  6. Check for Burrs:
    • After a few passes on each side, check for a burr or a slight flap of metal on the opposite side of the edge you've been sharpening. A burr indicates that you've sharpened the edge effectively.
  7. Switch to the Finer Grit (Optional):
    • If using a sharpening stone with multiple grits, switch to a finer grit to refine the edge further. Repeat the sharpening process on both sides.
  8. Hone the Edge:
    • Use a honing steel to straighten and smooth the blade's edge. Hold the steel vertically and, at a slight angle, run the blade along the steel in a sweeping motion, ensuring equal passes on both sides of the blade.
  9. Test the Sharpness:
    • Test the sharpness of the knife by cutting through a piece of paper or a soft vegetable. If the knife cuts cleanly and smoothly, the sharpening process was successful.
  10. Clean and Store:
  • Wipe the blade with a clean towel to remove any residue. Store the knife in a safe, dry place.
Regular sharpening, typically every 1-3 months depending on usage, will keep your chef's knife sharp and ready for precision cutting.

now rewrite it to factor in possible differences in steel type and their varying levels of wear resistance, particularly with reference to the type of abrasives needed to remove material from the blade efficiently. [And see how it indeed messed it up. It didn't differentiate between abrasive types only abrasive grits. Interesting.]

Sharpening a chef's knife requires consideration of the steel type and its wear resistance. Different steel types may demand varying abrasives to efficiently remove material and achieve a sharp edge. Here's a modified step-by-step guide considering these factors:

Materials Needed:

1. Sharpening stone (whetstone)
  2. Chef's knife
  3. Honing guide (optional, but recommended for beginners)
  4. Towel or cloth
  5. Water or honing oil (depends on the stone)
  6. Honing rod or honing steel
Steps:

1. Identify Steel Type:
    • Understand the steel type of your chef's knife and its wear resistance. High wear-resistant steels like VG-10 or S30V require abrasives that can efficiently remove material.
  2. Select the Right Stone and Abrasives:
    • For high wear-resistant steels, consider using a sharpening stone with a coarser grit (e.g., 400-800) to efficiently remove material. For less wear-resistant steels, a medium grit (e.g., 1000-2000) stone can be effective.
  3. Prepare the Sharpening Stone:
    • Soak a water stone in water for 10-15 minutes before use. If using an oil stone, apply honing oil.
  4. Secure the Stone:
    • Place the sharpening stone on a stable surface, ensuring stability during the sharpening process.
  5. Choose the Right Angle:
    • Adjust the sharpening angle according to the steel type. High wear-resistant steels may benefit from a slightly larger angle (e.g., 20-25 degrees) for durability, while lower wear-resistant steels can use a smaller angle (e.g., 15-20 degrees) for sharpness.
  6. Wet the Stone:
    • Wet the surface of the sharpening stone with water or honing oil, depending on the stone type.
  7. Begin Sharpening:
    • Hold the knife securely and place the heel of the blade at the chosen angle against the stone.
    • For high wear-resistant steels, start with the coarser grit stone and use even pressure while sliding the blade across the stone. For less wear-resistant steels, begin with a medium grit stone.
    • Continue the sweeping motion, moving from the base of the blade to the tip, ensuring the entire length of the blade is sharpened evenly.
  8. Check for Burrs:
    • After several passes, check for a burr. High wear-resistant steels may take a bit longer to form a burr due to the abrasion resistance.
  9. Switch to Finer Grits:
    • Progress to finer grit stones (e.g., 1000-2000 grit) to refine the edge for both types of steel.
  10. Hone the Edge:
    • Utilize a honing rod or honing steel to align the blade's edge and remove any remaining burrs. Perform this step regardless of steel type.
  11. Test the Sharpness:
    • Test the sharpness using the paper or vegetable cutting test. Adjust if needed based on the steel type.
  12. Clean and Store:
    • Wipe the blade clean and store the knife in a safe, dry place.
By considering the steel type and its wear resistance, you can tailor your sharpening approach, ensuring an efficiently sharpened chef's knife with a keen edge.

now rewrite it to factor in possible differences in steel type and their varying levels of wear resistance, particularly with reference to the type of abrasives needed to remove material from the blade efficiently. [And see how it indeed messed it up. It didn't differentiate between abrasive types only abrasive grits. Interesting.]
But that is way better than it did a year ago!

I'm glad you are having fun. :)

Another very interesting conversation I had with ChatGPT was when I asked what is the funniest joke ever. There are academic studies on this topic, which ChatGPT cited, but it completely garbled the content and never came up with a joke that was not puerile. I regret that I lost the transcript when the computer went FUBAR.

I’ve had it writing a ton of poems lately so this happened when I asked it your question in the same conversation:

IMG_2571.png

Back