Photos Choppers

Choctaw Dan. Had the same experience. Bought a Morseth 7-inch bowie from Steve Morseth back around 1970, and it came with the "Safety Sheath, leather with some kind of Fiber insert, that completely enclosed the blade. I did not like it as it "Rattled" and I had visions of taking it back to Vietnam. I was on Okinawa, no sheath makers there, so went to a shoe repair shop in Futenma, Okinawa and asked the man there if he could make a sheath like the one the knife came in. He did, even made a long pocket for a Gerber Sharpening Steel I had been using, and the Morseth type "Flap, that went over the butt. I still have that sheath, must have been good leather as it is still supple. John

Then take your kukuri, those pics, and your self down to a shoe repair shop and see whether they'll make you one! :D:D

Mine is structured to work with a 2 1/4" military web belt. We used lift-the-dot fasteners on the belt loop, because they only unsnap in one direction.

I just made a stupid mistake I already regret: I ordered a Skrama 240 without a sheath. I just didn't want to pay an extra $50, that's half the price of the knife! I had a couple of old sheaths that would fit, and they did, but not completely: because of the "reverse" blade geometry, I have either to insert it turning the handle over in my hand, or to have about half an inch of the blade exposed. I thought it would fit better.

UutRZww.png

OBylxjq.png

dSgSIXd.png

Last edited:
Any mistake you can walk away from, hopefully with all body parts intact, is called a life lesson. We humans learn a lot more from our mistakes and failures than we ever do from our successes and wins.

This is so much true! Thank you.

I just made a stupid mistake I already regret: I ordered a Skrama 240 without a sheath. I just didn't want to pay an extra $50, that's half the price of the knife! I had a couple of old sheaths that would fit, and they did, but not completely: because of the "reverse" blade geometry, I have either to insert it turning the handle over in my hand, or to have about half an inch of the blade exposed. I thought it would fit better.

Problem solved. I found another old sheath, it fits much better.

But I should have bought the original Skrama sheath anyway!

fDjiKad.png

UutRZww.png

OBylxjq.png

dSgSIXd.png
Hate to say it, but this is why not to waste $30 or thereabouts on pikal blades with backwards edges. That and the fact that most factory sheaths suck and need replacement, so I always weigh the cost of a replacement sheath against the purchase of any fixed blade.

Hate to say it, but this is why not to waste $30 or thereabouts on pikal blades with backwards edges. That and the fact that most factory sheaths suck and need replacement, so I always weigh the cost of a replacement sheath against the purchase of any fixed blade.

The Skrama sheaths are excellent for the money.

My Skrama sheath was well worth what I paid for it. But since I pack the Skrama in a bag or backpack, and almost never wear it on my belt, i also bought the plastic liner, which they sell separately, for not very much money. It protects the blade and the world from each other when the knife is not in use. If I ever have the chance to go woods-rambling I’ll be glad to have the sheath.

Are yinz buying your Skramas direct or from somewhere else?? Thanks. 🤝
DM me if not a supporting vendor please.
John 😁

My Skrama sheath was well worth what I paid for it. But since I pack the Skrama in a bag or backpack, and almost never wear it on my belt, i also bought the plastic liner, which they sell separately, for not very much money. It protects the blade and the world from each other when the knife is not in use. If I ever have the chance to go woods-rambling I’ll be glad to have the sheath.
Direct. I don’t know that there is another way to buy them.

I don't regret buying that knife 😌. First, I don't take it too seriously, so I don't care much about the steel, etc. Second, I just like it, it is something different from what I have, and I just like holding it in my hands sometimes (the sheath is complete shit though) — but I want a real pikal knife now. Third, it's only $30, nothing to worry about. Fourth, I learned something about pikal knives (never heard of them before). So, it's a win-win-win-win situation.

Last edited:
The Skrama sheaths are excellent for the money.

Apologies; I didn't mean to impugn the Terava sheaths, which have been uniformly well-reviewed here and on Youtube, but I have no direct experience with them. From what I understand, ESEE sheaths are also very good, but again, I have no direct experience with them. However, I stand by my assessment of--as I said--most factory sheaths I've had have been garbage and in dire need of replacement.

Apologies; I didn't mean to impugn the Terava sheaths, which have been uniformly well-reviewed here and on Youtube, but I have no direct experience with them. From what I understand, ESEE sheaths are also very good, but again, I have no direct experience with them. However, I stand by my assessment of--as I said--most factory sheaths I've had have been garbage and in dire need of replacement.
I understand hesitation based on prior experience. I hate lousy sheaths. The Skrama 240 leather sheath is very well made and has a robust liner. I got both the sheath and the separate liner to use when in a pack or on a shelf. For the price, quality and performance Skrama is a screaming deal imho.

Back