Clan of the Classic

Maximum-minimalism meets give-away-ability.
IMG_9134_zpscmdeffqr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I am about to retire my green alox classic in a few days. Its been on my keys for probably 3 years. I would only replace it with one tool and I finally ordered one so once it gets here the classic is getting the boot.

Captain, saying what you said without actually telling us what the replacement is seems to me to be "cruel and unusual punishment"! :mad::eek::confused:

- GT

I had my old faithful black Classic confiscated by TSA the other day (stupidly left it in my carry-on). That was the one I bought at least fifteen years ago to replace the one some baggage creep at Delta in Boston stole from my checked luggage! Hated to lose it.

I'm traveling now and stopped in to a Target near the hotel. Grabbed a couple Classics (black and red. $10.99!) for myself and one for my wife. All is well again.

Cheers!

Sorry to be negative in this mostly positive thread, but half the stuff on this knife looks redundant or too specialized.

Yeah, I don't understand the two nail file shaped blades but only one of them is a nail file, the other is just a SD tipped ruler. Why not include the SD tipped nail file with the ruler on the blacl of it, and eliminate one tool? Then the cuticle pusher thing that some people call a coke spoon needs to go. Third, the orange peeler job can be done with a knife blade. I've peeled many an orange and tangerine with a small knife blade.

I think they need to come out with a mini champ minus. Or a mini champ 2. The mini champ concept is good, more tools in the 58mm frame. I like the idea of a second blade, and a couple of screw drivers, and scissors. Maybe with the elimination of a few redundant tools, they cold put in a beefed up scissors with a light wire cutting notch?

Yeah, I don't understand the two nail file shaped blades but only one of them is a nail file, the other is just a SD tipped ruler. Why not include the SD tipped nail file with the ruler on the blacl of it, and eliminate one tool? Then the cuticle pusher thing that some people call a coke spoon needs to go. Third, the orange peeler job can be done with a knife blade. I've peeled many an orange and tangerine with a small knife blade.

I think they need to come out with a mini champ minus. Or a mini champ 2. The mini champ concept is good, more tools in the 58mm frame. I like the idea of a second blade, and a couple of screw drivers, and scissors. Maybe with the elimination of a few redundant tools, they cold put in a beefed up scissors with a light wire cutting notch?

That's why I bought a manager! I stuck my classic in a first aid kit I carry when hiking.

Sorry to be negative in this mostly positive thread, but half the stuff on this knife looks redundant or too specialized.

No worries. To each their own. The beauty of the tools that seem useless are that we find other uses for them. Sure the "cuticle pusher" and "orange peeler" will never be used for their intended purposes, but the orange peeler is a great package opener and the cuticle pusher will find a use somehow.

Because you would be eliminating the nail cleaner on the regular nail file.

I would give up the coke spoon and orange peeler for a second pair of scissors or a third blade though. :D

That's what I learned from my grandfather. Its just natural now. I mostly use the awl on my Pioneer.

That's what I learned from my grandfather. Its just natural now. I mostly use the awl on my Pioneer.

They need to scale down that awl and put it on some of the other SAK's, it's a great tool. I'd even like to see a small awl on a 58mm. It'd be a heck of a lot more handy that a coke spoon/cuticle pusher. With it's chisel edge, it makes a great wire stripper and wood working tool. And it cleans nails, like you said!:D

A 58mm knife with the warnie blade, scissors, cap-lifter/Phillip's driver, and an awl; That would be absolutely perfect!

I'm a proud member of the clan and so is my wife. I carry two knives and one is always a classic.
I got hooked when I was 14 or 15 .One of the guys at our deer camp had to run back inside for his classic before he would go in the woods on the first day of buck. I've been totin one ever since.

No worries. To each their own. The beauty of the tools that seem useless are that we find other uses for them. Sure the "cuticle pusher" and "orange peeler" will never be used for their intended purposes, but the orange peeler is a great package opener and the cuticle pusher will find a use somehow.

The "orange peeler" was originally designed to be a "cut and pick" for medicine bottles--cut the plastic seal, pick out the cotton packing. It was intended for the medical profession, but actually made a good enough orange peeler (tested) to be rebadged for other SAKs. AFAIR, the only purpose designed orange peeler is found on the Executive. The cuticle pusher can do duty as a screwdriver on some slotted screw heads, and is definitely useable to break up clumped powders, probably including cocaine (not tested ;) .). It also works well as a cuticle pusher, oddly enough. :D

Big love for my lil' buddy today. It did three things for me today. It began this morning when my wife and I were having coffee on the deck. Lovely spring morning. She sees a potted plant that needs a trim. "Do you have scissors,?" She asks.
She is amused by my fascination with pocket knives but I hand her my Classic and she trims the plant to her liking with the little scissors.
If I'm carrying a Classic, chances are I'll use it for something every day.

I love this little dude!

Cheers!

Big love for my lil' buddy today. It did three things for me today. It began this morning when my wife and I were having coffee on the deck. Lovely spring morning. She sees a potted plant that needs a trim. "Do you have scissors,?" She asks.
She is amused by my fascination with pocket knives but I hand her my Classic and she trims the plant to her liking with the little scissors.
If I'm carrying a Classic, chances are I'll use it for something every day.

I love this little dude!

Cheers!

Yup, Can't go wrong with a Classic and they weight next to nothing. :thumbup:

Back