Counterfeit, anyone?

That's what I thought. At least I didn't pay much for it! I'll use it as a beater ta see what it can take !! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also a caution. The older laminated blades, the lamination line was not visible. That visible line was not on the earlier versions.

How much "older" are you talking about? As far asI am aware, if there is no lamination line then it is not a Sanmai blade. Up to the Magnum Tantos there were non-Sanmai solid Aus8 blade versions which obviously had no lamination line. Some of these are sold on ebay incorrectly as "Sanmai". If the ricasso says "Sanmai" and there is no lamination line, it's a fake.

Yeah I was wondering about that too. The only supposedly SMIII knives I've ever seen without lamination lines where fakes, and for obvious reasons other than just the missing line. As you say, there were some models offered in both SMIII and regular stainless, like the original Magnum Tanto and Magnum Tanto II. For a time, before they started using the Master Tanto name, you could even get the Tanto in SMIII or regular stainless, and the SMIII version was not marked as such, but the line is there.

Chinese TriAd fakes!

JampJ%20Cold%20steel%20XL%20Voyager%20Clip%20Point%20Plain%20Edge%20CTS-BD1%20blade%203%20options%20Tactical%20Folding%20Knife%20FRN%20Handle%20Hunting%20Bowie%20Co_zpsyzgsepxi.jpg

JampJ%20Cold%20steel%20XL%20Voyager%20Clip%20Point%20Plain%20Edge%20CTS-BD1%20blade%203%20options%20Tactical%20Folding%20Knife%20FRN%20Handle%20Hunting%20Bowie%20Co_zpscaayg5zi.jpg

JampJ%20Cold%20steel%20XL%20Voyager%20Clip%20Point%20Plain%20Edge%20CTS-BD1%20blade%203%20options%20Tactical%20Folding%20Knife%20FRN%20Handle%20Hunting%20Bowie%20Co_zpszkvfxdsl.jpg

JampJ%20Cold%20steel%20Rawles%20Voyager%20CTS-XHP%20satin%20blade%20Tactical%20Folding%20Knife%20FRN%20Handle%20Survival%20Hunting%20Bowie%20Combat%20EDC%20Knif_zpsqul3cyhn.jpg

JampJ%20Cold%20steel%20Rawles%20Voyager%20CTS-XHP%20satin%20blade%20Tactical%20Folding%20Knife%20FRN%20Handle%20Survival%20Hunting%20Bowie%20Combat%20EDC%20Knif_zpsuhvukgku.jpg

JampJ%20Cold%20steel%20Rawles%20Voyager%20CTS-XHP%20satin%20blade%20Tactical%20Folding%20Knife%20FRN%20Handle%20Survival%20Hunting%20Bowie%20Combat%20EDC%20Knif_zpsyaj7tcap.jpg

wow...that spartan is a scary good counterfeit...i own one, bought from a dealer but i realy dont see the difference....can someone point out where to look?

thanks

Again with the name calling? How old are you? Or are you just trying to make me angry?

image.jpg6_zpskiqq9kga.jpg

-Steve

seriously...is this a fake?
i cant see anything that would give it away...exept the screws on my clip are darkened and the cold steel logo has "steel "a little bit below cold

but i have a cts one

nobody knows?

way off?

maybe a little bit....mine doesnt say the brands name, bit longer maybe, tad slimmer

would you feel it?...when you can actually hold it..its a scary good copie imo....gonna fool lot of people. normally i can tell relativly easy if its fake

way off?

maybe a little bit....mine doesnt say the brands name, bit longer maybe, tad slimmer

would you feel it?...when you can actually hold it..its a scary good copie imo....gonna fool lot of people. normally i can tell relativly easy if its fake

Ahh, I see what you mean. I was thinking the Spartan had a clip like this but apparently there are variations. I've never owned that model.

there must be variatons, mine came from a dealer...and everything realy feels like te hand and work of cold steel

but there is a counterfeit seller over here who sells the spartan too...it also looks very, very real

seriously...is this a fake?

i cant see anything that would give it away...exept the screws on my clip are darkened and the cold steel logo has "steel "a little bit below cold

but i have a cts one

nobody knows?

On the genuine Spartan, the screws are black and there is no logo printed on the clip.

Here is the phony clip:

IMG-0953.jpg

Here is a legitimate clip:

IMG-1230.jpg

Since you have the CTS BD1 version, yours possesses the new logo that you describe. But the presence of the new logo is no longer an indicator of legitimacy, as evidenced by the new Voyager counterfeits that Peacent included in his post above. The latest counterfeits are extremely close to the originals and would fool most. It pays to buy from legitimate dealers, even if you have to pay a few dollars more.

-Steve

Last edited:
yep...thats my clip...before i could not spot a spyderco fake every time .....but there are some soldsteels out there that can fool even fans i guess...this one could have got me...ill be honest

those b*st*rds

thanks

I've noticed the counterfeit knife problem for years and what I don't understand is, how do these knock-off manufacturers legally get away w/ selling this crap in the US market?

I mean, I know that this is an old problem and not new news but, just because something's become an old problem shouldn't (and imo doesn't) make it more acceptable. I think what needs to happen is manufacturers like Cold Steel, Buck, Ontario, TOPS, KA-BAR need to reach some kind of agreement to jointly create and fund a lobbying force that can go to DC and try to get legislation introduced and passed that puts a stop to crap like this.

Sure, they're competing knife companies but, I would think this is one issue they can surely find some common ground on. No rational, honest and able person wants to be conned into buying a counterfeit product and all these el-cheapo fakes do is unjustly take money out of ALL these companies pockets (not to mention the poor consumer on the other end of all this dishonest fakery) :(

P.S. And for the record, whoever thinks Lynn Thompson is being overzealous and overbearing about combating the counterfeit situation imo clearly doesn't see the scope of the problem, is ignorant to it or maybe just doesn't give a damn because I assure you, the amount of revenue lost by genuine manufacturers to the counterfeit market is HUGE (definitely hundreds of millions annually, maybe even billions).

I commend Lynn's proactive stance on this issue and I wish more major and interim manufacturers would step up to bat like he does as this problem is affecting virtually ALL of them.

Last edited:
i agree but im also afraid that it will be useless...most of these knives come from china ( as far as i can tell) and i do not think the issue will be adressed there. Meaning i realy think china will give a rats ass about companies in USA or europe that say someting is illegal. so imo it will cost cold steel and spyderco a lot of money to try and prevent it and maybe in the usa there will be some laws that forbid sales of these knives but a lot will find its way in the post.

for me a realy good step is that you can hold ebay for instance accountable for selling fake merhandise...over here we have ebay called "marktplaats" ( marketpleace) and ive send them dozens of messages and examples of cold steel knives that were fake and were presented as real...thet realy dont care and dont even respond.

i dont do much buisiness on ebay but i suspect it will be the same...if not ...kuddo's for them

ive informed cold steel several times about counterfeits beeing sold here as real knives...they also didnt respond.
maybe thats because i live overseas

ive informed cold steel several times about counterfeits beeing sold here as real knives...they also didnt respond.
maybe thats because i live overseas

I've stopped wasting my time reporting to ebay as it has become crystal clear that they care for nothing but their commission.

I see that the Rawles Voyager is being copied with a black coating too so I have no idea how the original is distinguishable from the fake.

EDITED TO ADD - it looks like the copy has the thumbstud reversed with the slotted side on the "righty" side.

Last edited:
I've stopped wasting my time reporting to ebay as it has become crystal clear that they care for nothing but their commission.

Yeah, I won't buy knives from Ebay, just too much risk of getting a fake. Pretty much all my blade purchases come from BladeHQ, Knifecenter, etc.

P.S. And for the record, whoever thinks Lynn Thompson is being overzealous and overbearing about combating the counterfeit situation imo clearly doesn't see the scope of the problem, is ignorant to it or maybe just doesn't give a damn because I assure you, the amount of revenue lost by genuine manufacturers to the counterfeit market is HUGE (definitely hundreds of millions annually, maybe even billions).

I commend Lynn's proactive stance on this issue and I wish more major and interim manufacturers would step up to bat like he does as this problem is affecting virtually ALL of them.

I agree, it is a major problem and very expensive for manufacturers which could also mean consumers. You referenced Lynn Thompson's response - what are you referring to? Thanks.

I agree, it is a major problem and very expensive for manufacturers which could also mean consumers. You referenced Lynn Thompson's response - what are you referring to? Thanks.

THIS ....*from Cold Steel's website*...
'A message to the counterfeiters:

Cold Steel is dedicated to attacking counterfeiters by any available means! We have had great success tracking down purveyors and suppliers of these illegal knock-offs in the past. Just ask Bradley Willis McVey of Valley Forge Auction & Wholesale in Elizabethton, TN, who faces felony charges for his sale of these counterfeit goods and fines of up to $3,000 and two years in prison!

We will track you down through our global network of investigators - and we ensure that you are punished to the maximum extent possible under the law!'

more here....http://www.coldsteel.com//counterfeits

Back