Damaging the Brand

I have high respect for KA-BAR and its knives. I've been a proud owner of a Bull Dozier for years, and just ordered my first Becker (uh oh, there goes my wallet).

I recently came across some "KA-BAR" labeled folders at our local Big 5 Sporting Goods (a US West Coast chain, for those not familiar). Big 5 is notorious for selling low-quality knives, such as Mtech and other Mastur Cutlery offerings. However, they have a few respectable Kershaws and CRKTs. Sadly, the "KA-BAR" folders looked an awful lot like the Mtechs.

I wrote KA-BAR customer service about Models 2824 & 2825 (there are also 2826-2827). I inquired as to whether these things are actually "KA-BAR" commissioned products.

I received a polite, prompt response. They are Big 5 exclusives, and, most notably, their "warranty" is offered through Big 5, not KA-BAR. I pity the gullible having to get "warranty coverage" on them.

It is disappointing that KA-BAR allows Big 5 to damage their good name (brand) by using "KA-BAR" on such low-quality junk.

I hope KA-BAR reconsiders such agreements in the future.

It takes all kinds in the knife world. Each year at Blade Show, we sell quite a few of the offshore-produced Ka-Bars as $10 or $15 Blade Show specials. They are extremely popular. Honestly, not everyone wants a $75 or $100 or $200 folder. Starting out, they just don't even consider that kind of money for a knife. However, the same folks who buy them often roll back around to look at the USMC's, the Beckers, or many of the other Ka-Bar knives produced stateside. Thus, I think of the inexpensive models more as "gateway" models--knives that may pull people further into the hobby. Rather than buying a $15 truck-stop knife, I'd rather see people buy a blade with the Ka-Bar name on it, such that they're eventually intrigued by other knives in the Ka-Bar line. Believe me when I say I don't think of this economic model as ideal. I wish companies like Camillus and Schrade were still around. But if Ka-Bar needs to offer some inexpensive knives in order to compete, stay in the black, and continue to offer us the great US-made blades we're used to, then I'm ready to accept the reality of the models mentioned by the OP.

Like the Ultra Biscuit said, it's necessary evil.

And I view it as that. I don't like the knives made across the world, but you know what? I have some of them, and they are actually a good product for the money.

Another view is this, KA-BAR's products not made in the USA, are made in Taiwan. There is a difference between made in China and Made in Taiwan. One is shit, the other is actually good quality.

I don't like blister pack, big store sold merch, but like Guyon said, if that is what KA-BAR has to do to stay competitive and stay in the black, then it should be done.

I know Mr. Stitt personally, and I know many of the men and women that work at KA-BAR, personally. I know for a fact, if KA-BAR could move all their products to the USA, they would. As a matter of fact, they have been one of very few companies that ARE moving as much as they can back to the USA.

All of the fixed blades are made in the USA now, most of the sheaths are as well.

Bottom line, if it says KA-BAR, it's quality, no matter if it was made in Taiwan, or in a blister pack.

Taiwan has been making 80% of the world's knives for over 60years, you can't do that much work, and not get good at it.

Don't get me wrong, either, I only buy American. The Taiwan knives I have, were gifted or traded for, but not bought.

Moose

Are you sure all the folders are Taiwan? I'm pretty sure I was looking at the catalog and a few we're china and I said nope. I bought the Ka-Bar Kukri. First Ka-Bar I owned. I needed a reasonably priced machete and it has great reviews and hey, it's a Ka-Bar right? I didn't regret it, still don't. I bought another, then the cutlass, then the original four horseman, all great blades IMO, great steel, design, and work great and look cool. It also got me into Ka-Bar as a loyal customer. Now I own 7 Taiwan, 3 USA, Ka-Bars and 7 Beckers all because of that foreign kuk, but Ka-Bar kept their standards. Just my opinion...

Are you sure all the folders are Taiwan? I'm pretty sure I was looking at the catalog and a few we're china and I said nope. I bought the Ka-Bar Kukri. First Ka-Bar I owned. I needed a reasonably priced machete and it has great reviews and hey, it's a Ka-Bar right? I didn't regret it, still don't. I bought another, then the cutlass, then the original four horseman, all great blades IMO, great steel, design, and work great and look cool. It also got me into Ka-Bar as a loyal customer. Now I own 7 Taiwan, 3 USA, Ka-Bars and 7 Beckers all because of that foreign kuk, but Ka-Bar kept their standards. Just my opinion...

Yeah, Taiwan. 99.99999999% sure. I could tell you what plant they are made at, who owns it, and probably who was over QC at the time they were made, but that might be a little gauche.

As far as I know, nothing of KA-BAR's has ever been made in China.

Moose

As for the Knives if it helps bottom line all that matters, 5,000 units or what ever the amount of units that make it work and turn a profit, Got 4 Units and that works for me, Sorry has to do with kids got off track, Bottom line companies have to make money or no more of THESE GREAT PIECES OF STEEL THAT WE ALL WANT, NEED OR GOT TO HAVE

Hmmm, maybe I was following the wrong line, it was on the kabar phone app, not easy. Must've been a sheath. I'll look again. I won't reply back if I'm wrong :D

The Flaky Hand Of Justice just reminded me of some runs that were made in China a few years ago.

I must have blocked that outta ma mind.

So, I recant some, SOME short runs of knives were made in China.

Anybody got any pics of a China KA-BAR? Post em up, I'll reward you for your efforts.

Moose

Ahh yeah, the 4084 I looked at and it looked nice, micarta handles then I saw china and said nope. That's the one in particular I was referring to.

And Here's the Taiwan Version

My daughter has one.....sorry two of those. As well as a close friend of the family. I wrangled all three........then there's the one's I got.

Those friction Dozier's were pretty badass, too.

China........c'mon KA-BAR..........at least use a country that's owned by the US.......

:D:D:D:D

Moose

I bought one such knife as a Blade Show special just because the quality-to-price ratio was so great I felt compelled to try it. It was the 3062 plain-edge, clip-point in the MULE line. I paid the $10 or $15 show price because the knife has fantastic G10 scales and a rock solid lock-up. I think it was a discontinued model even when I bought it. My intent was to make it a beater knife for my truck tool-box, and that is exactly how it has served me well. I found a pic of it along with some other stuff I picked up at Blade Show that year (right side in picture).

AED51E0E-DD40-4000-9475-604940499F47-2010-0000016022866033_zps1ddce55e.jpg

As far as knives, I used to be "anti-China" as well as "anti-offshore" all the way, but as stated above, I've come to understand that the knife business these days is a different animal than 50 years ago. Between the counterfeits and the offshore movement by so many companies, it's a crazy, tough, competitive market, and places like Schrade and Camillus did not adapt well enough to stay afloat. 98% to 99% of the knives I own are US-made, but with the current marketplace in mind, I've tried a couple (just a couple) of Chinese-made knives from companies I trust. The 3062 mentioned above is an excellent knife. It's a beast that I would never pocket carry, but fit/finish, lock-up, and materials are all solid. I also went out on a limb recently and bought a little Chinese-made Spyderco for $20. Again, I can't fault the craftsmanship on it, and I'm okay with supporting Sal Glesser on this front, considering all the manufacturing he does in the US. It's a grayer area than it used to be for me.

654EC6FE-A0C1-44AD-9D14-FD2033CD7B8D_zpsut1q4mak.jpg

Last edited:
Taiwan......I'm behind. They make what you want, at the quality level you want, for the price everyone can agree on. Job done, capitalism at it's finest.

China, can kiss my ass. Slave labor, shit quality, and a crap shoot on what you get, and once you cut the shrink wrap off the pallet.........it's all on you.

There are some great factories in Taiwan, and they have been making knives for a loooooong time.

Just my opinion and is thus not reflected upon......aw who gives a shit. I don't like China made knives.......

:D:D:D

Moose

The Flaky Hand Of Justice just reminded me of some runs that were made in China a few years ago.

I must have blocked that outta ma mind.

So, I recant some, SOME short runs of knives were made in China.

Anybody got any pics of a China KA-BAR? Post em up, I'll reward you for your efforts.

Moose

I'm on my mobile right now, but I remember the shot show these were you posted pictures of some Chinese made kabar folders. That was... 2011? There were three folders, one had a spyderco/byrd hole in the blade, and they were made out of 3crmov or something awful like that. Iirc it was the same year the toxic green mule folder came out.

I'll root around a bit and see what I can come up with.

I prefer not to buy from china, but when I do I prefer to buy directly from china. Such as clone vape parts. Sorry, I'm not buying a great name like kabar with china on the other side. I don't care what the quality. I can find something else.

China, can kiss my ass. Slave labor, shit quality, and a crap shoot on what you get, and once you cut the shrink wrap off the pallet.........it's all on you.

I'm pretty close. I can only think of the two knives mentioned above as Chinese-made blades I've bought since I was a kid. And yes, both were larks, and I knew both were a crap shoot going in. Now, I have a few more knives made in Taiwan. CRKT, Spyderco, Ka-Bar, and ESEE are brands I've bought with Taiwanese makes. All are good knives.

Back