Damaging the Brand

Taiwan......I'm behind. They make what you want, at the quality level you want, for the price everyone can agree on. Job done, capitalism at it's finest.

China, can kiss my ass. Slave labor, shit quality, and a crap shoot on what you get, and once you cut the shrink wrap off the pallet.........it's all on you.

There are some great factories in Taiwan, and they have been making knives for a loooooong time.

Just my opinion and is thus not reflected upon......aw who gives a shit. I don't like China made knives.......

:D:D:D

Moose

And that's the thing, its not a kabar or anything else. It's Chinese knives with a name stamped. It'll be a different name tomorrow. All Chinese stuff is just that, Chinese stuff, no brand, just whoever paid for the ink that day. That's why there's so many fakes.

I can only think of the two knives mentioned above as Chinese-made blades I've bought since I was a kid.

Actually, I had to rethink this a little bit. When I was a kid, I'm not sure we HAD many Chinese knives in the market place. Heck, back then, "Made in Japan" was looked down upon. I have a $5 fixed blade "Made in Japan" knife that rode in my tackle box for years and years. Ain't no telling how many catfish lost their heads to that knife. I've still got it, and it'll still behead a fish, but I don't have any Chinese remnants when I stop and really think about it.

Hah yup. When I was a kid, even Chinese handcuffs were made in Taiwan :D I don't think it was until Clinton? Killed the tariffs that kept Chinese stuff away. Then it came in like a flood...

2012-01-17153340.jpg

OMG, those are some fugly knives. :D Must've been the year or two before I started working the show.

ETA:

But like I said, some folks will buy up 9 or 10 of those things for $10 apiece and then start looking seriously at the other knives in the cabinet once you start talking to them.
Sometimes, the road to taste and discrimination is a little bumpy at first. :p

Last edited:
Zfugly and i do not want need or got to Have 1

Big USA made and under 100 Dollars that's all I ask

Bam, found the models at least.

Kabar shame, kabar gila, kabar komodo.

Here is a thread you started, with them in there.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/918834-SHOT-Show-Recap-and-Q-amp-A

And the photo I was remembering.
2012-01-17153340.jpg

What do I win?
:p.

I'll let you know....

That was that European designer.....damn I forget his name. His knives had a definitive Euro style to them that just didn't fit the 'Murican eye. We sold those out at "less than cost" at Blade Show 3 years ago.

And sold the hell outta them things.

China.....yeah........

Moose

OMG, those are some fugly knives. :D Must've been the year or two before I started working the show.

ETA:

But like I said, some folks will buy up 9 or 10 of those things for $10 apiece and then start looking seriously at the other knives in the cabinet once you start talking to them.
Sometimes, the road to taste and discrimination is a little bumpy at first. :p

Agreed. Those things were seared into my mind as horrific. Not just in design, but 3cr? Really?

And yeah, the road to taste was bumpy for me at first. I distinctly remember my first ever trip to a flee market. I got like 5 knives, and after the first few minutes I realized how big of a mistake it was. From then on up until bladeforums it WA either Gerber or Kershaw... None of that flee market crap :/.

I'll let you know....

That was that European designer.....damn I forget his name. His knives had a definitive Euro style to them that just didn't fit the 'Murican eye. We sold those out at "less than cost" at Blade Show 3 years ago.

And sold the hell outta them things.

China.....yeah........

Moose

As long as its not one of those things... ;).

And really? Those sold that well? I'm genuinely surprised by that.

My mom used to make and sell flower arrangements, and she'd often make a few that she absolutely hated. But as she told me over and over, "there's no accounting for taste." She knew someone was going to walk in the door and absolutely love the same arrangement she detested. And she was always right.

Frankly, I'm glad we took up this thread. It had been sitting there like a big old wart no one wanted to address. Fact of the matter is simply that Ka-Bar is going to do what it feels it should do in order to make money and stay afloat. These days, that ain't so easy in the knife business. I'm just happy we have production companies like Ka-Bar and Buck still around. I miss Schrade dearly.

companies like Ka-Bar and Buck still around

I'll add Kershaw to this mix as well. All three of these companies have used offshore production in various ways, but all three also try to do as much production in the States as they can. As Moose pointed out, Ka-Bar has brought a number of its models back to US production.

As long as its not one of those things... ;).

Sold like hot cakes with heroin powdering.

Shit you not. Folks that come to shows, want the "Show Special". I've worked many a show beside Ethan, Mr. Stitt, and others. Everyone, first question out of the "show-ers" mouth, "What's the show special?"

What's the show special you ask? Whatever Big Papa Stitt says is the show special.

Folks saddle up to the glass wanting whatever they can get at the cheapest price, and I, yeah........I get them in the mood to buy knives....

They start with the show special......but they walk out with some serious USA made and stamped quality gear.

Come see me at Blade this year, I dare ya............

We got knives and you got hands.......I'll show you everything in the case.......

Come see me.

:D:D:D:D

Damn......rums kicking in.....

Moose

Nothing.... See post #12. Of course he didnt say "the first to post a Chinese pic" so yeah, maybe...

Ouch.

You're right though, I missed your post (was switching between mobile and PC for a bit, and just missed yours), so you were totally before me.

However, I was laughing when Moose said that, since I had this very distinct memory of those fugly knives, and remembered that he was the one that 1) posted them and 2) started the thread they were posted in. It just made it funnier is all, because irony. Anyway, I wasn't actually expecting anything out of the deal, and now even less because you're first in line. I mostly just wanted to bring up the thread he started with the photos he posted in response to his question :).

My first Ka-bar was a tanto, made in the USA as it well should be. The next, though, was a Fin Velocity folder that my brother bought me as a birthday gift, and I bet he paid MSRP for a Chinese knife. Oh well, it's ugly enough to be memorable, but I doubt I'll ever use it. Meanwhile, I bought myself a Mule folder right before a hiking trip - on clearance at Gander Mountain for $25 as I recall - and consider it to be a pretty decent knife for the money. I have no issues with anything built in Taiwan.

It's not that Chinese factories can't produce good knives, because I have a number of Kershaw folders from China that are of excellent build quality and damned near have a monopoly on my pocket, but other brands seem to have pretty shoddy QC. Some of the worst are the gun manufacturers who will license their name to anyone and everyone, Smith & Wesson and Remington being perhaps the worst offenders. Walther, on the other hand, put their name on some fairly nice Chinese folders and fixed blades. CRKT and Gerber have been a mixed bag for me.

Ouch.

You're right though, I missed your post (was switching between mobile and PC for a bit, and just missed yours), so you were totally before me.

However, I was laughing when Moose said that, since I had this very distinct memory of those fugly knives, and remembered that he was the one that 1) posted them and 2) started the thread they were posted in. It just made it funnier is all, because irony. Anyway, I wasn't actually expecting anything out of the deal, and now even less because you're first in line. I mostly just wanted to bring up the thread he started with the photos he posted in response to his question :).

Hah yeah, I don't give a shit, I was just pickin at ya. I said there was Chinese stuff and he said there's never been, so I just had to figure it out because although I am a bit of a burn out, I could have sworn that I read that only a couple days ago. And that's in the current catalog. I mean, maybe some crap promotional stuff stamped kabar with ink is one thing, but that one folder had me at first and I'm not a folder guy but I lost my EDC for work so I'm kinda lookin and I'm trying to stay brand loyal but there's nothing I like
really...

Anyway, looks like we both were trying to bust him and both succeeded

You're busted Moose! We're cashing in our prize,
Logan has the rum, I got the lash...be ready bud!

Sold like hot cakes with heroin powdering.

Shit you not. Folks that come to shows, want the "Show Special". I've worked many a show beside Ethan, Mr. Stitt, and others. Everyone, first question out of the "show-ers" mouth, "What's the show special?"

What's the show special you ask? Whatever Big Papa Stitt says is the show special.

Folks saddle up to the glass wanting whatever they can get at the cheapest price, and I, yeah........I get them in the mood to buy knives....

They start with the show special......but they walk out with some serious USA made and stamped quality gear.

Come see me at Blade this year, I dare ya............

We got knives and you got hands.......I'll show you everything in the case.......

Come see me.

:D:D:D:D

Damn......rums kicking in.....

Moose

Is this like shot show only with knives? Where is it? When is it?

Sounds like a pretty awesome venue! Unless he is blonde blue eyes, has big sandals and a folder under that kilt I ain't interested lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys just wanted to say thanks for this thread and very handy information. Until now I was quite dubious about knives made in Taiwan but upon all this having been brought to light I have made the intoxicated decision (damn you Wild Turkey) to pull the trigger on the ZK Tanto and War Sword. Whilst you guys now get them in that delicious 1095cv we all know and love, the only ones I can find offered by my local dealer are the SK5 Taiwanese versions. BUT knowing now that they're not as bad as I once thought I'm confidant that it won't be a poor decision. I'm going to have one last dig around on the intertubes to see if there is a bonified Aussie retailer of the 1095cv versions but failing that I'll make my purchase after my next very stiff glass of the turks.. Thanks again guys.. Love springy. (I get all mushy when I'm drunk)

Forgot to mention in my drunken ramblings that unfortunately the Kabar website are only taking orders from the USA at this time (bugger). Only mentioning this in case one of you fine folks suggested buying directly from Kabar. And also in case there are any other Aussies that may want to purchase directly from them. C'mon Kabar, Straya loves you too!

Back