Defence against throwing knives?

I'm not talking about safety, though it's probably not very safe to be in the path of throwing knives. But hypothetically, let's say you are being attacked.

What would be the best way to go about defending yourself? What is the weakest aspect of thrown knives or any thrown weapon for that matter?

Thanks.

The thrown knife cannot respond to you, but you can respond to the knife.
Blocking might be both easy and dangerous, deflecting or parrying would be very difficult to master but good to practice.

Are you serious? If i saw 2 mall ninjas goin at it with throwing knives i would probalbly run and hide for fear of catching the dumbness......:rolleyes:

If someone is preparing to attack you with a thrown knife, shoot them.
(Preferably in the back as they are pacing off their distance):p

If they are skilled in throwing without rotation, then try not to get hit, and run away. . . or shoot them.

I use small hand held smoke bombs to dissapear like any self respecting ninja. If that doesn't work They always end up being repelled by my medals and the shine on my boots and my teeth. All chaos my stratagey settles. My mere presence brings strength to the weak:D .

rifon2 said:
That's pretty much about it.

It doesn't sound like much of a response, but when you throw your knife and the guy dodges it... well, problem solved.

DraconigenaNostalgia said:
I'm not talking about safety, though it's probably not very safe to be in the path of throwing knives.
By the way, welcome to BladeForums!

There are some martial arts which teach the type defense you are talking about. Though it will not be of much use in real fighting, such practice can make for very sharp senses and reflexes.

One thing to consider has a lot in common with other edged weapon encounters, that is how much of a target you are presenting, this also has a lot to do with the ability to evade. If you have to worry about a weapon thrown by someone with skill, you might not be aware of the throw before it happens, don't hold still or make an easy target.

A sharp object moving forward can be slapped from the side without injury, speed and accuracy and 'reading' the throw are all things to work on.

well i have throwing knives flying my way.............. after a bad throw =D

Captain Picart (star trek): Evasive menuvours! (Brain)
Enson: Ai Sir! (Body)

as cybrok and rifon2 mentioned, duck and run in zig zag. (if you have no way of attacking)

Catch it with a ping pong paddle and throw it back ! :eek:
You can probably get the paddle and the knives from the same factory ! :mad:
Chopsticks too.. in case you get hungry whilst in battle :jerkit:

Clang..... CLang.....

Could you knock it off? Its kindda loud! I am not getting killed by the knives but by the sound it makes! :D

If someone tried to throw knives at me they better kill me with that first throw or that someone is gonna be chased down by my hornady hollow points. Other then that, if its just a knife wait for the throw and start jumping... then attack after the throw.

I read about a guy who would wear kendo armor and have people shoot arrows at him, which he would try to block with a sword. After practice he was able to cut arrows down right out of the air, hitting them from the side.

I have some rubber hira shuriken and it would be fun to try blocking or parrying them with a boken or a wooden tanto (mini boken?)

Back