Defence against throwing knives?

DraconigenaNostalgia said:
I'm not talking about safety, though it's probably not very safe to be in the path of throwing knives. But hypothetically, let's say you are being attacked.

What would be the best way to go about defending yourself? What is the weakest aspect of thrown knives or any thrown weapon for that matter?

Thanks.

First, put down the crack pipe. Then, move slightly.

Hey are you 12 years old? Where and when do you think someone is gonna attack you with throwing knives? Sorry for coming on a lil strong, I know I'm new to this forum, but this is truly a dumbass question.

The martial applications of thrown blades are so limited, it's almost completely without merit to discuss. You would hafa to be so expert to tag a vital target at any range, especially if the target MOVED AT ALL!!! Further, I would submit that even if you managed to peg me at center of mass, I would be so irritated that I would immediately close distance and shove that friggin blade into your throat repeatedly (no throwing involved).

Have fun in your martial arts fantasy land there.

Puh leez...

Raggedyman said:

Hey are you 12 years old? Where and when do you think someone is gonna attack you with throwing knives? Sorry for coming on a lil strong, I know I'm new to this forum, but this is truly a dumbass question.

The martial applications of thrown blades are so limited, it's almost completely without merit to discuss. You would hafa to be so expert to tag a vital target at any range, especially if the target MOVED AT ALL!!! Further, I would submit that even if you managed to peg me at center of mass, I would be so irritated that I would immediately close distance and shove that friggin blade into your throat repeatedly (no throwing involved).

Puh leez...

You are completely wrong. Attacking with a throwing knife can be a HUGE sucess with spinless methods making the tip point letally at the target most of the time. The taget / you can actively be moving and still hit the target with unknown distance. Its something new for u dude. check out http://www.combatknifethrowing.com/

I don't know... with a personality like that, I wouldn't be surprised if Raggedyman has the most experience of anyone here with people trying to kill him. ;)

i am a Buddhist, everything is impermanence. Nothing is real. Even a knife flying towards is not reality, and even if it is, you will be reborn in the realms of rebirth untill you reach Nirvana.

I'm pretty sure that my mom's homebaked fudge brownies are real, even if nothing else is.

If someone starts throwing knives at you, don't think of it as an attack; they are just contributing knives for your collection.

n2s

Dunhausen said:
I don't know... with a personality like that, I wouldn't be surprised if Raggedyman has the most experience of anyone here with people trying to kill him. ;)
Priceless. I have to remember that. Save me a fudge brownie, too, Dunhausen. They sound good.

anyway, i think chances of people trying to throw a knife at you is far less than a person pointing a gun at u. juz a guess

In all seriousness(sp?) it's very rare that someone will throw a knife at you because no one really wants to lose a weapon in a fight. If you come across someone that does your best bet is to duck that blade and create as much distance as possible because the thrown knife was a distraction so he can follow up with another knife or some other weapon.

Okay, I live in New Jersey. I'll sign a waiver that I won't sue and you do the same. I'll challenge anyone. You can have 3 throwers of your choice and I'll have one stick. We'll count off six paces, turn and attack. We can put the tape on the internet for everyone's amusement. You can show everyone how badass your tactical knife throwing skillz are and I'll show you what intensive care looks like. Any takers? ;)

Raggedyman said:

Puh leez...
Raggedyman said:
Okay, I live in New Jersey. I'll sign a waiver that I won't sue and you do the same. I'll challenge anyone. You can have 3 throwers of your choice and I'll have one stick. We'll count off six paces, turn and attack. We can put the tape on the internet for everyone's amusement. You can show everyone how badass your tactical knife throwing skillz are and I'll show you what intensive care looks like. Any takers? ;)

I don't think it's quite like what Ralph Thorn does, but I can throw knives non-rotationally. It's been a lon time hobby, and I can stick them accurately and hard in the style of Chinese throwing darts.
I've never stuck a moving target, but I've stuck a target when running.
As an attack, I think it would be less effective against an indifferently armed person than closing with the knife - it would not necessarily be lethal.
I can't imagine a situation when throwing a knife would have anything to recommend it over a handgun.

That being said, offering to be a target for throwing knives is stupid. You can dodge it more easily than a lunge, but if you're 10' away and closing and the other person throws a knife into you, you're probably going to be badly hurt.
If you did get "pegged center of mass" you would not be in condition to close with someone, especially if they still had a knife.

The OP's question may have been a bit inane, but at least he didn't come off looking like an idiot trying to be tough guy.:rolleyes:

Our department actually had an incident last year where a suspect "threw" a knife at the officer.
Two of our guys had stopped two young men who had been acting suspiciously. One of the two kept edging around behind his buddy, and fishing around under his "hoodie". When the officers unsnapped and ordered him to show his hands, he threw a smallish butcher knife in the general direction of the officers. Came very close to getting shot.
What happened in reality was that he was trying to "lose" the knife, and it caught on his clothing, flipping it towards our guys. They could tell (fortunately) that the guy wasn't trying to throw the thing with intent to harm.

In Thirty-plus years of police work, I have only heard of one actual injury caused by a thrown knife; a riot-control situation where people in the crowd were throwing all manner of things at the officers. Somebody threw a knife, which cut an officer's ear slightly. (no helmets...)

I have done some defense drills in kali, couple of guys sparring with single stick with a rubber knife tucked into the waist band. With those I got pretty got at knocking them out of the air and then counter striking. That said something tells me a decent metal knife would be travelling faster and be somewhat harder to hit : d very good reaction drill though

We were basically treating the knife as a way to catch the guys attention whislt moving in with a stick strike, or more usefully if they were striking or about to strike and you couldn't get a good block up from your position chucking a knife in the guys face worked wonders as a counter. Very much a secondary weapon though

Just because you can doesn,t mean you should .
Just because you can,t doesn,t mean others can,t .
Of course that is not an absolute .
When it comes to threatening other people and asking others to harm you then I think your actions speak for themselves .

Raggedyman said:

Sounds like fun.
Oh, and Rag, intensive care won't help you:jerkit:

Didn't you see Big Trouble in Little China - throw it back at them like Jack Burton threw it at David Lopan, stick it in their forehead and say some cheesey one-liner similar to "Like I said....It's all in the reflexes"

does anyone have any links or advice for non-rotational throwing? I would like to try it.

BTW the chance of being attacked by a thrown knife has to be astronomical, much less successful.

harpers ferry said:
does anyone have any links or advice for non-rotational throwing? I would like to try it.
Harpers Ferry! I'm surprised. This is discussed frequently here--the search feature here will (or should) produce dozens of threads and links on the subject.

Based on when you read this, you should even be able to scroll your page down and find some.

harpers ferry said:

BTW the chance of being attacked by a thrown knife has to be astronomical, much less successful.

try combatknifethrowing.com

Ralph's book will give you the knowledge and insights to non-rotation knife throwing:thumbup:

Back