Degenerative spinal cord disease and homeopathic pain treatment

....I switched from artificial sweeteners to plain ol sugar in very low quantities. Like with my green tea, I've eliminated sweetener entirely. Now to work on my steel cut oats. What's worse, a tad bit of sugar or honey?
I'm 6'2 and weigh 270. You prolly know what I should weigh. Especially with my scoliosis and two new knees. Less weight and they'll last longer.
I ditched artificial sweeteners entirely. Won't touch a diet soft drink. I use regular sugar at minimal levels. Essentially the hummingbirds eat (drink) more direct than I do. Tea.... totally non sweetened. Coffee.... no sugar. But I do like regular Cokes. ;) I just keep the number under control. The only thing I'll physically put sugar on is cereal and I don't do cereal very often. The key to it all is to control your weight and start before it becomes a problem, get at least moderate amounts of exercise, and use those muscles. No muscles used pounding a keyboard.

Thanks rimfire. I'm on my way. I've dropped a few pounds which is encouraging me.
I also got some of the apple cider vinegar with mother this morning and I just took a dose. Shoowee is that stuff tart. Tart or not, if it works, I don't care if my toenails glow in the dark. :)

I hope the apple cider vinegar thing works. So simple.... Ugh on the taste. I don't even like apple cider. Sorry if my last post had the lecturing feel to it. It's all so easy when you don't have a problem. ;) Loosing weight is really difficult when you get older if you are healthy otherwise. Very difficult to change life long patterns of behavior.

First off, I never felt I was being lectured to. I took it as a how to post. I gleam a lot of info from you guys. It's all welcome.
I come from a large family and I've fought my weight all my life.
If there is one piece of advice so could give you "youngsters" out there, be in shape when you hit your early 50's. I have to work twice as hard as you do for the same results and I'm not talking about weight loss.

First off, I never felt I was being lectured to. I took it as a how to post. I gleam a lot of info from you guys. It's all welcome.
I come from a large family and I've fought my weight all my life.
If there is one piece of advice so could give you "youngsters" out there, be in shape when you hit your early 50's. I have to work twice as hard as you do for the same results and I'm not talking about weight loss.
I came from a large family too. But never had a serious weight problem. I have other health issues, but they are minute compared to most. Three kidney stone procedures last year. Hernias..... degenerative spinal issues in neck. Prior to hitting mid-40's, if I felt a little heavy, I would just not eat desserts for a couple days and it would disappear. Sounds really stupid but I was very active. Not the case after you hit 50 or so. Yes to your advice.

I hope all are relatively well here. As well as can be expected.
As I think I've mentioned, I've started on the apple cider vinegar, w/mother. Man o man that stuff tears me up! I don't DARE take it in the evening and wonder how effective one dose in the am will be?
Talk about heartburn. I think everything else burns.

I was on 75 mg of Lyrica, doc doubled that dose. Also, burning nerve endings is off the table, they want to implant a pacemaker, in my gluteus maximus :(, that connects to a wire in my spine, that prevents pain signals from going to my brain.

Funny thing is, I'm not worried about a wire wrapped around my spine, I'm worried about getting a machine the size of an ipod shuffle put in my rear.

WOW! If I were you, I think I'd try anything short of voodoo. But what gets me is, those batteries won't last forever.

Well I'm going hiking tomorrow, at a place called Bee Tree preserve. In the rain. Need to get some woods time in. Little snack and a drink by the river, maybe some whittling.

You are talking about getting a S.C.S. Spinal Chord Stimulator. I Have had 1 imposter for just over 8 years, & it helped me drop my pain management meds by over 95%. Now that is great for my body, but I still take 180 mg of Embers & an average of 30mg of Percocet a day.
I am going in to have nerves burnt after I recover from my new model S.C.S implanted this Wednesday, 6th. I got hurt back in April 2005 & have had over 60 years procedures & operations. They found tumors inside by spine that have made it brittle.
I was on pain meds that are given to cancer patients towards there end.......not fun! I have been in hydro therapy after regular physical therapy made me worse because original doctor never got images, claimed it was just pulled muscles.
I hate typing, as it doesn't put me in atimely comfortable position. I can tell you that trying the Spinal Chord Stimulator is worth trying. Usually they require a visit to a therapist to verify your state of mind before going forward, but worth it, in my opinion.
Good luck with whatever path you choose, but keep moving or it only gets worse. God bless, y'all

You are talking about getting a S.C.S. Spinal Chord Stimulator. I Have had 1 imposter for just over 8 years, & it helped me drop my pain management meds by over 95%. Now that is great for my body, but I still take 180 mg of Embers & an average of 30mg of Percocet a day.
I am going in to have nerves burnt after I recover from my new model S.C.S implanted this Wednesday, 6th. I got hurt back in April 2005 & have had over 60 years procedures & operations. They found tumors inside by spine that have made it brittle.
I was on pain meds that are given to cancer patients towards there end.......not fun! I have been in hydro therapy after regular physical therapy made me worse because original doctor never got images, claimed it was just pulled muscles.
I hate typing, as it doesn't put me in atimely comfortable position. I can tell you that trying the Spinal Chord Stimulator is worth trying. Usually they require a visit to a therapist to verify your state of mind before going forward, but worth it, in my opinion.
Good luck with whatever path you choose, but keep moving or it only gets worse. God bless, y'all

HnB - I cannot imagine what it would be like to walk a mile in your shoes.

Not gonna get all "preachy" but if not for the injury, I would not have become atimely youth pastor. I found ways I can help others instead of always trying to help myself, I guess is a good way to put it.
Hope you had a good hike SilentHunter! I know that a few hours in the woods was always the best medicine for what ailed me. Moving from Mass to Texas was hard without the mountains

How's everyone's health?
I slowed up on the vinegar, it tore me up. Heartburn big time and I was mixing with a TALL glass of water around mid-morning.
Time for plan "B" I guess.

Hey everybody. I had to actually quit the vinegar, too many side effects. I think it was some kind of reflux. Tore me up.
Cherry juice didn't do aLOT for me. Does anybody have any more non-pill, anti-pain suggestions?
How is everybody doing?

Yea, I'm going to prolly try and use the rest of it to force a patina on a knife. :eek:

People with bone/back/cartilage problems may wish to take a Boron supplement, its cheap and while its not understood exactly how the body uses it, its been discovered in multiple studies that it has some effect on bones and joints in general and helps and protects against inflammatory diseases. Its also been shown to reduce the amount of calcium the body excretes which makes it a pretty important trace element for everyone, the young for building bones and over 30s who are loosing bone mass.

I have degenerative arthritis and almost no cartilage between some of my lower vertebra. I have been lucky that mild pain meds do enough for me that I can function and grind out the constant but lower end pain. As bad as it may sound I am ok with constant low to moderate pain, as I can function outdoors. I have had sciatica so bad in the past the I had to urinate in an ice cream pail on the floor, while on my hands and knees.

Back