Dogs I have known - rescues - new homes and friends

No such thing as a purebred "red nose" Colby dog, its not a trait that pops up in their animals..... and that came directly from Lou Colby (RIP buddy) himself in a discussion we had years ago at the ADBA Nationals. Selective breeding and culling for many many decades eliminated that trait from the gene pool.

Not sure...you are probably right. I bought him at Barretts Bull Pen in Lynn, Mass in the early 1990's. That's what I was told when I bought him.

Not sure...you are probably right. I bought him at Barretts Bull Pen in Lynn, Mass in the early 1990's. That's what I was told when I bought him.

Lou said that his old man John Colby himself had eliminated the red noses by the 30s after they quit infusing Irish reds into their line and one never popped up in his fathers litters after that (if memory serves correct John Colby passed in the early 40s) and Lou, who just passed away a few years ago, claimed he never had one pop up either.

The Colby line is considered by many the purest of all APBT bloodlines, but Lou's son Jack has added some fresh blood thru a couple outcrosses, and has had a couple red nosed pups in recent years....BUT despite his last name, those wouldn't be pure Colby dogs..... they're Colby/red boy dogs. He bred his family's dogs to a line known to throw primarily red nosed dogs..... a line based on a single dog....Bass' Tramp Red Boy

Last edited:
Lou said that his old man John Colby himself had eliminated the red noses by the 30s after they quit infusing Irish reds into their line and one never popped up in his fathers litters after that (if memory serves correct John Colby passed in the early 40s) and Lou, who just passed away a few years ago, claimed he never had one pop up either.

The Colby line is considered by many the purest of all APBT bloodlines, but Lou's son Jack has added some fresh blood thru a couple outcrosses, and has had a couple red nosed pups in recent years....BUT despite his last name, those wouldn't be pure Colby dogs..... they're Colby/red boy dogs. He bred his family's dogs to a line known to throw primarily red nosed dogs..... a line based on a single dog....Bass' Tramp Red Boy

Thank you very much for that enlightening comment. I wont sound ignorant now by calling him a Colby or Red Boy. You are the first person to shed light on the red nose subject for me. They certainly are game dogs... not into that anymore and not proud of my past. I had a couple really skinny pits with red noses. They were almost grey hound lean but they where the gamiest dogs I have ever owned.

They could have very well be :).

However, once again, I have my little theories about how pure even the Irish dogs everyone started with were in fact. Heck, some claim that the good old British Bulldog that started it all :) received from time to time working terrier infusions, and it is a well known fact that the terriers themselves received British Bulldog blood. I saw an old Rat Terrier x old school Bulldog from back in the day everyone was making "half and halfs" by their own secret recepy and it could pass for a very nice Colby dog. Some of these half and halfs had a certain labrador crossed into them (supposedly a "monster"), as well as two highly-praised Airedales from what I recall. If it could fight, it was good. As I said, "bulldog" meant more function than form and dogs back then were grittier and pretty much every nation had its own version of a bulldog.

One only needs to see what working Patterdale guys sometimes do today, and I think that would answer many questions.

And I still think that a few APBT fanciers outcrossed from time to time to what today wouldn't be labeled as a game dog anymore, and with success. Oh, the controversies.

Last edited:
They could have very well be :).

However, once again, I have my little theories about how pure even the Irish dogs anyone started with were. One only needs to see what working Patterdale guys sometimes do today, and I think that would answer many questions.
Those Patterdales are a blast. Theres an ADBA judge by the name of Hammonds that's got some real nice ones that don't seem to have any quit in em....intense little hunters

I'll add the disclaimer that I were too young to have done anything foolish, I just know some history regarding these dogs, and I know some people that have turned away from stuff they did in the past. My only contribution to the APBT world was rescuing what seemed to be a bait dog off of the streets, tits still handing. I guess some POS, wanna-be backyard dog fighter bred her and then threw her out as soon as the pups were able to feed on solid food. I am realistic when it comes to what made these dogs and what maintained them as such, no need for rose-colored glasses, but that, for me, is enough to know...on an intellectual level.

Those Patterdales are a blast. Theres an ADBA judge by the name of Hammonds that's got some real nice ones that don't seem to have any quit in em....intense little hunters

I think at least some of them don't have any indeed.

I also can say I DO NOT condone illegal activities, I was just lucky enough to have been born into the breed, been surrounded by good men who kept good dogs and along the way picked up a few for myself.

All the old timers I keep in touch with have long put the darker days behind them, but don't sugar coat the history of the breed... if you're lucky enough to become friends with em, and are a history buff like me, they are living, breathing encyclopedias... and they might even let ya have a pup or two when they have a couple extras. That's how I acquired one of my best conformation dogs.

I had a Patterdale pup at one time. I was told she was Patterdale terrier when I adopted her but might be a mix of something. I got her from a Pit Bull rescue organization. Ill post some pics when I get home and see what you guys think.
Man! Yall keep going! Im enjoying this dog history:thumbup:

That's right, Lee, don't sugarcoat the truth hits the nail. And I agree about the oldtimers.

Ndoghouse, I have to admit that with my current setup a Patterdale would be too much dog for me :D, I think it would die of boredom. But would love to see pictures of yours :).

I'm a big labrador fan myself, had a few black, always wanted a yellow, never had one.

About the only dog I've encountered that does what I tell it and with a little training can do useful stuff.

They like to chase sticks and actually bring them back, don't have to bend over so far to pet them. Mine never seemed to insist on sleeping on top of me either, content to sleep the floor nearby.

Unlike my terror terrier that thinks I'm a trampoline. We're best buds but sometimes it's a very trying relationship.

Haha, you described terriers to a t. Fun to have them here sometimes, but I don't mind when they go home :).

Labradors are really easy-going dogs. I'm not a big fan of them in general, I guess I just like dogs that challenge me mentally, hard headed axxholes, I must hate myself :) sometimes. I like that they easily get along with any breathing thing. I have seen some very nice ones and I can see how the smart ones would appeal to many folks. I fail to see how one would fail to control one, but my experience tells me it's possible somehow.

I always wanted an Australian Cattle dog like the one in Mad Max. I've heard they live longer than most any other breed. They are hardy and heathy. They are also extremely intelligent, but they also have extreme needs. They need constant stimulation and a job to do. They don't belong coupes up or bored or else they might become destructive. I would have one in a heartbeat if I had the time and land. They are perfect farm dogs.

Australian cattle dogs are similar to Catahoulas arent they? I remember that dog. Cool movie:thumbup:

Here is my "Patterdale" I got through a rescue org. She was a beautiful pup. I sure miss her.

f09c3c3cd1582a47c29e371bb3a0ec68

She got injured and passed away during a surgical procedure. They couldnt wake her up from the anesthesia. Crushed me to say the least. She was way too young. Awesome girl and fast a hell! I bawled like a little girl when I lost her. Ive lost dogs at ripe ages and it was hard but when you loose them young and unexpected its just gut wrenching.

38356d272a6ed7e00e6e7bf6f1d079c5

Thats her on the left. On the right is my Catahoula girl. She lived a full life and was a great girl. The rat terror on top is still alive. Hes 15 years now and I know he wont be around too much longer. He has so much character and energy he will drive you nuts if you aint ready for him. He was literally living with the alligators on Taylors Bayou after a hurricane. Someone just dumped him before the storm. I picked him up an brought him home and hes been with me since.

I always wanted an Australian Cattle dog like the one in Mad Max. I've heard they live longer than most any other breed. They are hardy and heathy. They are also extremely intelligent, but they also have extreme needs. They need constant stimulation and a job to do. They don't belong coupes up or bored or else they might become destructive. I would have one in a heartbeat if I had the time and land. They are perfect farm dogs.

True, and from what I heard straight from an Aussie, they sometimes keep 2 or 3 insteadof a big guard dog on the farm and they will tear anyone a couple of new ones.

Seems big for a Patterdale next to a Cat. I think even patterdale x pit would throw smaller dogs. I'd say pit with something but I am not an authority on either breed.

Sorry to hear about her fate, I've been there, putting the first dog down young was traumatic to say the least. I was destroyed for more than a year.

Australian cattle dogs are similar to Catahoulas arent they? I remember that dog. Cool movie:thumbup:

Here is my "Patterdale" I got through a rescue org. She was a beautiful pup. I sure miss her.

f09c3c3cd1582a47c29e371bb3a0ec68

She got injured and passed away during a surgical procedure. They couldnt wake her up from the anesthesia. Crushed me to say the least. She was way too young. Awesome girl and fast a hell! I bawled like a little girl when I lost her. Ive lost dogs at ripe ages and it was hard but when you loose them young and unexpected its just gut wrenching.

38356d272a6ed7e00e6e7bf6f1d079c5

Thats her on the left. On the right is my Catahoula girl. She lived a full life and was a great girl. The rat terror on top is still alive. Hes 15 years now and I know he wont be around too much longer. He has so much character and energy he will drive you nuts if you aint ready for him. He was literally living with the alligators on Taylors Bayou after a hurricane. Someone just dumped him before the storm. I picked him up an brought him home and hes been with me since.

Sorry for your loss Ndog. It always hard loosing a member of the family especially at a young age. My parents had a similar experience with an English Bulldog. His name was Buster and he was the cutest little bow legged bulldog I ever saw. He would wake my parents up in the middle of the night yelping like he got scared by something. They ended up staying up to see what was going on, he had done this a few times before. Turns out he was sleeping on his back and his airway was getting seal shut from his pallet, tongue or a combination of both... really not sure.

The vet said they can cure him by removing some material from behind his throat and the back of his pallet. He as less than a year old at the time, maybe 10 months old. Well the worse possible outcome happened. Poor Buster died on the operating room table. The Dr.'s didn't know if it was a reaction from the anesthesia... he stopped breathing and they couldn't resuscitate him. My poor parents were devastated, they just lost their German Shepard named Hans to old age. He was actually my dog when I was in High School. He was a 127lbs Black Shepard with brown legs and a brown dots above his eyes. He was a very imposing yet gentle animal. He always guarded my mother and my brothers fiercely. He was a pussy cat when my dad was around, I guess he figured he could relax when the big dog was around (Dad lol). He was the best dog I ever owned and I miss him dearly.

Anyway... My parents were devastated by the loss of Buster the Bulldog and vowed never to adopt another dog again. A few months later they adopted a Scottish Terrier and a month after that they adopted a Tibetan Terrier as a companion for Willey the Scotty. New dogs are the greatest healing agents of all, better than any medicine money can buy. Their spirit lifts us and brings us back to a ancient times were the bond between man and dog was made. No other animal on earth has become as close as our beloved K9's

Man, I miss having dogs in the house. When my wife and I split last summer, our boer boel stayed with her- such a wonderful dog. I have a soft spot for pits, first dog that truly was mine was a rescue pit named Rusty, and he was full on amazingly beautiful and wonderful. I loved that dog and was hit to the soul when he passed.

I'm a big labrador fan myself, had a few black, always wanted a yellow, never had one.

About the only dog I've encountered that does what I tell it and with a little training can do useful stuff.

They like to chase sticks and actually bring them back, don't have to bend over so far to pet them. Mine never seemed to insist on sleeping on top of me either, content to sleep the floor nearby.

Unlike my terror terrier that thinks I'm a trampoline. We're best buds but sometimes it's a very trying relationship.

I love the diversity of the Labrador breeds methlab.jpg

just getting back around - thanks to all of you for such great input -

I had hoped that a dog topic would give everyone something to talk about - the dog Buck - that got shot in the face had me in tears - what a brave boy - and still loving - amazing the perseverance and love that dogs have.

Jascolli your Frieda is beautiful - thank you for sharing ya'lls story

Meth lab! Ha! I had one of them:D "Lady Bug" the Border Collie actually. She lived a full happy life:thumbup:

8c91f9a33ae44c32cdab6fe65e6009ab

Back