EDC - What's in Your Pocket(s)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
the multitool would be a grey area, it might get him a suspension still (blade or no blade)...the slipjoint is what I was focusing on, they would deem it a weapon and he'd end up in the media as fuel for further anti-knife laws.

yeah, it doesn't make sense to me why the school would try and discpline a student for having a multitool with NO blades in it, however the slipjoint i can definately see the problem it could cause.

Like really, unless lachy went around unscrewing all the toilet lids and doors with his mates, I still don't see why the multitool would be a problem, afterall its only a pair of pliers, perhaps some scissors, maybe a few screwdrivers, not sure what would be in it.

It would definately confuse me if he got into trouble for having a multitool that is bladeless :confused:

end of the day you're going onto private or government property (dependant on if you're at a private or public school) with rules deemed by the school system...sucks but I personally see no use for either a knife or multitool at school.

EDC23-03-2010.jpg

My current EDC:
- leather wallet and Nokia phone
- Vostok Kommandirskie Tankist
- keyring with Fenix E01 and Victorinox Classic
- Bahco multitool
- Victorinox Sportsman without toothpick, tweezers and keyring
- Fenix LD10

Last edited:
end of the day you're going onto private or government property (dependant on if you're at a private or public school) with rules deemed by the school system...sucks but I personally see no use for either a knife or multitool at school.

I understand about the little slipjoint and I won't carry that at school anymore. But, I don't get this. I am going onto government property with what? A pair of pliers and some smallscrewdrivers? Last time I checked, that wasn't illegal, or against any rules. Otherwise they wouldn't have chisel, pliers, screwdrivers, saws and etc etc in manual arts classrooms and the like.

Don't mean to come off as a jerk but I don't see how a bladeless multi tool is doing any harm.

yeah I get what your saying lachie and it is a good point. Personally I see no harm. however as Robert B said, its the school rules that ultimately determine what your allowed to bring in. Just like if my highschool brought in a rule saying that all male students weren't allowed to wear a certain brand of clothing, then thats the rules, its sucks, but you can't disobey them really, as school rules are pretty rigid, and even if your principal/whoever the person is who enforces the rules has common sense they also can't flick it under the mat so to speak as they then have to follwo guidelines by dept of education i think.

Like for example, during some boring class, me and a mate wrote a whole page of pickup lines, the teacher saw it, sent us to the principal, and he was quite cool about it, you know laughed with us, but he had to discipline us, as it was the rules at our school.

EDIT: not trying to patronise you having finished school, its just sometimes you gotta play by the rules, sure sucks though

But I think if you really have a concern go talk to a teacher about it, or the principal him/herself and just see what they say.

Last edited:
Ok I see your point now. But still, even if it happens to get me in trouble, it has nothing to do with the Australian knife community if you ask me. Multi tool has no knives = it has nothing to do with them. Simple as that.

I think what Robert B means by the Aus knife community is if channel 9 or 7 today tonight etc.. jumped on to the story of lets just say you got suspended for having a multitool (yep, crazy :eek:) what the media would then do is leave out certain details, to sway the publics opinon to that you are the bad guy. They would probably leave out the name of the brand, maybe stick an actor in there with a leatherman or something like that, and hide the fact that it didn't have a knife blade of any kind in it. So then people would assume that the multitool that you, or whoever the student was that brought it to school and got suspended, had a knife in it. They would then make a comment about the recent stabbing at SPC, an then probably make a comment on knives at school and maybe about knife laws in australia and then yeah... you see where this is going. Its stupid, but thats what the media does.

its not that I don't want you to carry a knife, or a multitool at school. I'm not against the idea at all. Its because of the tools and idiots who would use them as a weapon who would screw things up, to put it politley, for you, other school kids, and probably the whole of australian knife laws.

But yeah mate, talk to your principal and if they are fine with you carrying a multitool with no blades (perhaps bring along a bit of documentation, or some arguments i.e. its not stated in my school rules that a multitool is a prohibited item), just present a really good case to him/her of why you think you can have it, your responsible all that kinda stuff.

very nice and thanks for sharing that! :thumbup: My bear head wasnt the sharpest out of the box either but a few minutes on my diamond hone and its popping hairs. I havnt bit the bullet buying a queen folder yet so will definately look into it, very nice knife!

I just hit the place order button on the bird's eye maple, D2 canoe. If it's anywhere near as nice as this Congress, I'll be a happy camper.

There's a tingle in my brain that I'm afraid is the beginning of an addiction to these Queens. I've already got my eye on an amber bone canoe to go with the maple one. Only one at a time though... only one at a time.

I don't think you can go wrong with these knives, as long as you're not afraid to spend some time dramatically thinning out the edge on a new knife. My Congress will pop hairs now, but fresh out of the box it wouldn't even rip through newspaper.

No picture today, but it's my Spyderco Gayle Bradley, Endrua 4 Waved (with a high profiled edge), keys, pen, leather wallet, Burts Bee's chap stick, and a small mole skin note book. Oh, and my iPhone which I am lost without.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back