Experimenting with Sculpted Pocket Clips...

This is actually Steve's picture....but I have a backlock Manix 2 I'm going to put this g10 clip on. I think it looks wonderful!

md2sjqN.jpg
That DOES look great!

That photo of the Manix 2's was snagged off of a FLICKR Photostream and I just PhotoShop'd an image of my clip onto the back lock model. I wanted to see what my clip would look like on a different model knife.

I didn't anticipate 91 Bravo posting this up publicly. I need to give photo credit to Gerard Hauy... and if he ever sees this I hope he has no issues with my adulterating his work...

That photo of the Manix 2's was snagged off of a FLICKR Photostream and I just PhotoShop'd an image of my clip onto the back lock model. I wanted to see what my clip would look like on a different model knife.

I didn't anticipate 91 Bravo posting this up publicly. I need to give photo credit to Gerard Hauy... and if he ever sees this I hope he has no issues with my adulterating his work...

Ooops, I can take it down if you want....

Ooops, I can take it down if you want....

Jonny,

I don't anticipate it being a problem. Gerard Hauy is French... living in Spain... and also a knife enthusiast. I just didn't want the possibility of him seeing his photo on the Forum and thinking I was taking credit for it.

I got my clip in the mail today! Man, this thing is awesome! It feels very ergonomic as it fits right into the fold of my palm when I grasp the knife. Thanks a million BOOMER52 BOOMER52 , I'll give it a whirl for a few weeks and see how it holds up. If it can survive in a foundry environment, it can survive anywhere...

9n3MDlJ.jpg

Hns6wFz.jpg

7wqfvPj.jpg

Last edited:
Wowzah... that looks sweet...! I'll have to get a carbon fiber version off to you once I lock the design down and start machining them... G10 looks great though!!!

I didn't have anything other than the GrindMod Delica/Lil'Para in mind for these to go on... looks like it will translate to some other Spydie models...!

On with the durability test...!!! A FOUNDRY...??? Really!!! :eek:

Wowzah... that looks sweet...! I'll have to get a carbon fiber version off to you once I lock the design down and start machining them... G10 looks great though!!!

I didn't have anything other than the GrindMod Delica/Lil'Para in mind for these to go on... looks like it will translate to some other Spydie models...!

On with the durability test...!!! A FOUNDRY...??? Really!!! :eek:

I think it looks great! This is the clip for this knife, for me at least. Please make a CF one! I'll throw that one on my CF Manix!

I had a early delivery in the mail today.
Boomer52 sent me a clip for a evaluation.

Top view OAL
I used 2 different clips for comparison.
No Hole Spydie factory Clip and a Casey Low Pro Long clip.

You can see from the length is near a factory PM2 clip but shorter than a Casey Low Pro Long Clip.

SANY0002_zpsxb3ulelr.jpg

Side height.
Thinner than a PM2 clip.
Flat compared to a Casey Low Pro Long clip.

SANY0005_zpsfejssv1m.jpg

I installed it on a Cruware Manix2, GB2 and a FRN Delica because I wanted to see if it would work.

On all three knives that I installed it on, it felt really good in hand.
Think of a Nice small rounded palm swell.
No hot spots.

Note: If you mount it on a FRN Delica. You will end up covering the lanyard hole.
The retention on the Delica felt like a factory clip that has a slight bend in it. Slides in and out easily.
I know Boomer did not have this clip in mind to be installed on FRN.
But I had to know since I have one.

Only thing I noticed so far.
I know its a Prototype and there is going to be some tweaking and general trade offs.
The retention is less than factory.
Is it a bad thing? Depends on end user....For me it is perfect.

To give you an idea how much less. The retention is very close to a BM Low Pro clip that is on the 810 Contigo and BM 550-1.

Things I like about it.

Blends in perfectly with my scales.
It will remain BLACK forever because it is not painted.
The retention works for me.

Drawing the knife was still a breeze.
On the bottom of the clip there is plenty of meat for me to hook it and aid in withdrawing it from my pocket.
Middle finger hooks bottom clip...Zero issues with Boomers clip. Just as smooth as factory and Casey clip.

The ramped slope is less prominent but still enters your pocket just as easy.

As for durability?
91bravo
will find out.
I will find out to. The seat belt monster gets me every now and then.
And he does not care if it is G10, Steel or Ti. Nothing will survive.

How it looks on my Manix.....
Perfect.
SANY0006_zpswccsscm8.jpg

No pics of the GB2 because it looked funny.
Black G10 clashed with the carbon fiber.
And the Camera battery died when I had it on the Delica.

Things to tweek.
A little more retention.
It is tolerable but a little more would not hurt.

For now

Boomer has a winner in the making.
Looks like G10 Spydies will have more clip options..

Last edited:
Terrific feedback... thanks for that.

I noticed on your Manix 2 that it appears you sanded down the diamond checker and went with smooth.

I noticed on your Manix 2 that it appears you sanded down the diamond checker and went with smooth.

Yes I did...to change the look and make it thinner.
The 3D engraving provides plenty of grip when removing from the pocket.

Last edited:
Possible to reduce the length a bit? One of the reasons why I am enamored with the Lynch NW clip is that it draws fast i.e. I can angle it out with reduced delay.

may I just say how totally awesome these are? I will absolutely buy some of these once they go into production and if you are willing to ship to Germany.

Unfortunately I do not export. Exporting became a huge issue for me with the required Customs paperwork, inflated shipping costs and rampant postal theft. I made a decision two years ago to confine all product shipping to US mailing addresses ONLY... and offer free shipping on everything.

I am certain I lose customers because of this... however I continue to have foreign sales and typically the purchaser has a contact or friend in the US willing to send the package to the destination country OR they use a forwarding service.

Thank you for the compliment and the interest...
Steve

I am using this clip every chance I get.

Today I mounted it to a PM2 and I like the way it looks.

SANY0001_zpsqccyzzsz.jpg

But this clip was destined to be on Boomer scales so I removed the factory G10 scales from the CTS-XHP PM2.

SANY0007_zpsgmxagep8.jpg

Overall

I like this clip.

Last edited:
Back