Fairbairn-Sykes Obsession

Hmm... nice looking piece, that Rob Brown.
Wonder if he could/would do it in black Micarta, with just a satin finish instead of mirroring everything... I'm not an art knife kinda guy (altho, as a hobbyist maker, I respect, and admire the work and effort that goes into them) and I dont like animal products, particularly not african ivory. :rolleyes:

I once wondered about an all titanium version... Everything, handle, guard, blade. (blade would have to have carbide coated edge, like W. Thomas does.) Wouldnt be nearly as heavy, but for its lighter weight, I have wonder if you could get it to balance well.

I really do like the idea of one with a Talonite blade... that appeals to me a lot.

Was looking through an issue of FK today, and saw a picture of a F/S that was apparently put out by Soldier of Fortune magazine... looked like a pretty nice piece... Anyone know anything about these, Quality, materials, when they were made, who made them for S.O.F.?

As mentioned earlier, when I got mine I had to make a decent leg rig for it. I love this knife.

Attachments

• fs leg rig.jpg
    fs leg rig.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 277
Robert,

Great looking rig. I'll bet ol' Fairbairn and Sykes would have like it too.--Leigh

I would have loved to show it to them. I'm always amazed at what those guys accomplished, and what they accomplished it with. After my own military experience, I'm amazed at the thought of carrying a Garand or BAR, or fighting in the jungle with a Thompson or short Lee Enfield. I don't think our troops would do as well without a lot of of PC garbage being tossed out and real training put back in. Notice the boys in Afganistan. It's the best of the best doing the work over there, and for good reason.

A beautiful knife by Robert Brown and a very professional looking sheath system by Robert H.

Brigade Quartemasters has several FS daggers on sale; but I find myself doubting the quality.
I don't need perfect, but I do want functional and believable.

I would like someone's opinion on the knife shown at this BQ URL:

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/t...26%20Camp&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Flevel3c%2Etam

It says "Made in England by a contractor to the Ministry of Defence."
That could mean a lot of things, including "Buyer Beware."

Does anyone still make these as original equipment for the British Army?

I am glad to hear the USMC started Using Kill or Get killed again. Hey Robert H, what is your military background and what types of units did you serve in? You have always been one of the most knowledgable posters here and I would like to hear where you got your training. Good sheath by the way. The British actually had an issue leg sheath for an F-S Dagger.

Sorry to dissapoint Ken, but I read recently that F-S knives aren't issued any more. As stated previously, Joseph Rodgers are the only manufacture to currently produce knives close to the last-issued spec (3rd pattern, O1 blade, zinc alloy handle). I've never been dissapointed with mine from that company.

The One offered by Brigade Quatermasters is, IIRC, the Nowill & Sons trademarked one. Stainless blade and handle, right dimensions but wrong materials. Not the greatest made of the current repro's either. I love the Wilkinson Sword repros but again it's a stainless blade and chrome plated handle.

I didn't understand from shortgoth's earlier post that Joseph Rodgers still manufactures the FS 3rd Pattern.
Now I do. :)
Thanks.

I did a search and found some for sale in England through the British Knife Collector's Guild:

http://www.bkcg.co.uk/products/manu/england/ss180.html

They want 46.95 pounds sterling for this knife.

I wonder if shortgoth has an American source so I can do this in dollars and get it delivered by ground.

I didn't do much, just jumped around as I got bored. Did a little bit in the USMC, some time in the guard, some time in the regular army. Good times all, but ultra dangerous now with the brutal femanization that has taken place, along with the supporting PC bullshit and sensitivity training. I am fascinated by the lack of coverage of Afganistan, where a lot of pretty mean and viscious combat is taking place. At least one edge of the spear is staying sharp anyway, the very very tip only. The military is a lot like any other massive corporation. There are alot of guys marking time, a lot of ass protecting paper pushers, and a few guys who want to do their job, upon which everyone else depends. During peacetime or prosporous times, the good jobs are plentiful, and positions are filled with a lot of hangers on. But when the excrement hits the high speed occilatting device, they pull out the guys who get the job done and hate paperwork.

Sorry Ken, as it says under my name I'm in England. I know of a website that sells the Wilkinson repros in the US but none that sell the Rodgers. Only wish I could be more helpful.

If anyone is looking for a new, hand made version of the F-S get in touch with Peter Parkinson in New Zealand. nzknives@maxnet.co.nz. NZ Knives is offering a repro of the 2nd Pattern that is very well made. Blades are hand ground from 440C, knurled brass handles, (brass, black, or nickle). The sheaths are also top quality repro's in either the original brown or in black. The knives run about $245 U.S. which includes express shipping (about four days delivery time). They have a web site with photos, but I've lost it--ask Peter for it via his e-mail. Leigh

I've seen that site wlf. The address is http://www.nzknives.cjb.net/

Look nice, but again it's yet another stainless blade. The best F-S knives I own all have carbon steel (O1 specifically, one Rodgers and one I can't find a makers mark on, assuming Rodgers but the original handle, pommel nut, and guard were removed and re-fitted losing whatever marks may have been on them). I'm sure Parkinsons work is top quality though.

shortgoth,

I agree with you on the stainless steel. Since the knives are hand made, I imagine that they would be glad to make a special order out of any steel you wanted. I bought one of the 440C versions because they had some in stock with no waiting period, and received it today. I may see if I can order one with O1 which is also one of my favorite steels. By the way, from handling this one specimen I just received, they have gotten the size, weight, and balance just about perfect.--Leigh

Can anyone tell me about the Commemorative F-S Fighting Knife, authorized by the Fairbairn family and produced by the Castle Knife Co.?

I have one and I'm too new to knife collecting to know what I have. But talk about "size, weight, and balance" - this knife has an incredible feel to it!

I'd like to know if anyone else has one (apparently, there were only 1100 made in the late 70's.)

Otero,

I believe the one you have is one of the knives that William Cassidy had made up. Does yours have the "S" shaped guard? If you have one of these hang on to it (or contact me and I'll buy it) because I think these are supposed to be some of the best repo's made.--Leigh

Hi wlf,

Yep, it does have the "S" guard. You can see a photo of a prototype at Military Knives' web site:
http://www.militaryknives.org/castlefs-1.html

Mine's a production piece, with the original F-S mark acid-etched on one side of the blade and the Castle Knife Company logo on the other side. The etching is as good as that on the Wilkenson's.

I appreciate and will remember your interest in the knife, but at this moment I'm too enamored of the dang thing to let it out of my site. Just holding it makes me wonder why anybody ever bothered to invent any other type of fighting knife. There is something subtly perfect about it's balance.

By the way, from what I've read, Cassidy himself was one of the more interesting characters in American knife lore. Any idea what ever happened to him?

Lance,

Yeah, these are nice. I have one of the black ones already, and put one of the 2 inch guard 1st pattern ones on back order. I bought one of the fancy wood presentation cases also. Too, too cool.--Leigh

Back