Fairbairn-Sykes Obsession

Looking at the Joseph Rodgers FS 3rd Pattern on this page

http://www.bkcg.co.uk/products/manu/england/ss180.html

and enlarging it, I cannot say much for the grind lines.
However, one might attribute the sloppy lines to my browser or to the photograph.
From experience, knives I have bought from photographs always look better in the photograph.
Which suggests: it can only get worse.

Somewhere, someone must make this knife (2nd or 3rd pattern) with real knife steel, good grind lines and a brass handle for less than $100 American dollars.

Someone here has a Joseph Rodgers.
How does it look in real life?

Ken,

The NZ F-S I just bought cost 245 U.S. dollars with express shipping. I don't have one of the Joseph Rogers knives right now, but the one I used to have had pretty straight grind lines. I agree that the lines of the one in that photo are pretty snaky. I have a new British made Nowill & Sons version (cost about $40) and the grind on it is pretty straight but it is light in the handle (zinc). I agree that it should be possible for someone to crank out some good F-S here in U.S. for under $100.--Leigh

Hi Leigh

Did you get your Nowill FS direct from J Adams or have you gone through a US distributor?

Peter P

Must admit, my Rodgers has rind lines that are a touch off-center. Not noticeable unless you look at it very closely. Straight though.

And you're right. There must be someone in the states making one. And if you find him/her/them, give me the details too would you?

bit tired after working all night and burying a cat as soon as I got home, so I'm sure I've forgotten summat.

Peter,

I bought the Nowill from a U.S. distributer I found on the web (Blackwater Mercantile in N.C.). I double checked, and the price was $45 plus shipping. Blackwater carries a small line of Sheffield cutlery. Speaking of grind lines, I've purchased several WW2 F-S in the past couple of months. The most expensive of these collector knives was a "beads and ribbed" version that I paid through the nose for. The grind on this knife is awful, so bad I'm almost embarrassed to display it. On the other hand, I have a much cheaper WW2 3rd pattern with a perfect blade.--Leigh

Can anyone ID the markings I have on a 3rd Pattern FS. Stamped on the guard is the broad arrow, which I know to be MOD issue, and "A3". I have checked in Ron Flooks British and Commonwealth Military knives but that one isn't listed.

The "Broad Arrow" is as you know the marking for the MOD, and the secondary mark is the Government inspector's code. Each individual had thier own code, this persons being "A3".

I collected F/S's for a bit before I moved onto A/F's...

NATO knives and repro's mostly...

I loved the AMK's! Al Mar did a fine job with his 3 models, and I wish I'd kept them.

The ones I (we) had were Blk/Blk serrated, Brass/gold coated serrated, and the unusual silver (Aluminum) serrated job...all were very well done up knives!

Mel

Back