Fairly Knives Chat Thread!!!

Kiridashi Folder! Yeah, buddy!

Daniel, do you ever work in white paper #2 steel? I don't know much about these things, but I understand this steel can be taken to a whole 'nother level of sharpness. Someday I want to get a blade that will be used for nothing but taking to sick/crazy sharp, even if it takes years to perfect. What's your experience?

Rolf that sounds cool!

Tony I have a forged tall petty from Japan in white paper #1 and is gets insanely sharp, it is pretty crazy just how sharp it gets. I use a 6000 grit waterstone to finish the edge. It will easily cut a piece of lightly draped phone book paper at the opposite end from where I hold it which is the ultimate test of edge sharpness in my opinion. That sort of edge will cut the letters off of newsprint without cutting through the paper.

52100 and AEB-L will also get crazy sharp along with Aldo's 1084 and most W2. Each one of those steels is known for having a very fine grain structure with little alloying.

I lean to the finer grained steels as I'd rather have an edge that is not prone to chipping like something with more carbide structure... but on the other hand have had tremendous results with D2 and other steels that set up with large carbide formations. Heat treat is key...

I finally took a day off, my first day off since Christmas! We have been getting hammered by the snow back here and I spent the last few evenings shoveling... got my 4runner stuck in the driveway for 2 days but finally dug it out! It's pretty crazy snow load wise, I'm starting to worry about the snow on one side of the shop knocking it over and am going to dig it out next. We drove to Durango, lol no snow in town!

Everyone have a great evening!

Hi Gang!
Daniel- Days off are good. But yes, move that snow away from the shop.
After days of frigid temps, we'll be close to 50 come tomorrow!!
Have a nice night, ya all!!
rolf

Thanks D!
I just spent the last hour putting a very nice edge on hollow-ground AEB-L blade at 15 degrees per side. Now, I will freely admit that I suck at sharpening (but want to get better) and this is easily the sharpest I've ever been able to get. I just took it to the ultra-fine rods on a spyderco sharpmaker, and it literally wipes the hairs of the back of my hand. Fine curly shavings of paper, no problem. Somehow I am now intrigued about "chasing sharp".

Evening guys!

Don't forget that CTS XHP is another crazy sharp steel. The Stinger Daniel made for me is 52100 and keeps that "sticky sharp" edge very nicely, made it through my duties breaking down a large mule deer this year without a sharpening.

Sad day, I think I need to sell a knife or two, my short bus has been out of commission since Monday, plus the wife's car was the lucky recipient of a falling bullet from NYE right to the windshield. Fortunately with her dad recovering from his open heart surgery she has been driving his car. So, both cars going in this weekend. I'm 99% sure it's the fuel pump on my truck, PITA job I just don't want to do myself as I don't have access to it from the top and dropping a 30g tank is no fun.

Hope y'all are making it great!

-X

Last edited:
Hey all!
I'd like to take a moment of silence for this past week, may it rest in peace.... now let's celebrate by having a great weekend!! Now go play in the street.

^ exactly!

Yes CTS-XHP too, I have been using it recently and like it a lot. AEB-L is my current favorite all around steel and they both perform similarly.

What's up guys!

Hi Gang!
We have some snow coming. No prob!
Daniel- Did you get the snow away from your shop?
Have a great weekend!

X, that is a bummer about the cars. I hope you make it through without having to get rid of any DFK's. I stilllllll need to try CTS-XHP.
TR, watch out for that slippery slope known as Japanese water stones. ;)
Rolf, sup dawg.

Hi Kevin! DF and I are working on a Friky/kiridashi folder. Two models. Get in the book, buddy.
Daniel will do most of the work. He's so nice.
rolf

Well, my short bus is back home from the shop. Thank God there are still reputable shops and techs around. Rather than the $600 bill I was planning on, it ended up being $250 all said and done. I know my way around a 350 pretty well and can handle most things myself, but I don't have lots of diagnostic tools and am glad I took it in and paid for it to be done. Now just to tune it up for spring and it's all good to go again. Still haven't fixed the bullet hole in the wife's car, she's still driving her dad's (mainly because the doc hasn't cleared him to drive yet) so that's a plus.

Father in law had a Dr appointment yesterday, they gave him the green light for playing drums again just can't lift them. He's given up cigars, his no good whacko girlfriend, got a place of his own, and is recovering very well. Triple bypass is no walk in the park, especially for a disabled person.

Anyways, trying to not get blown over today, winds in the 50's still here, lots of sideways rain. Make it great!

Cheers amigos!

-Xander

X,
So if I do the math right, you have a spare $350 burning a hole on your pocket. More than half way to that sweet chopper D just finished.

See, it's all in how you look at it.

Hey guys!

That's good Xander! I'm really glad to hear that about your father in law, we have been thinking about him. Good on the ride too!

I'm on the lookout for that design Rolf!

Hi Tony!

I'm finishing up a S7 Pocket Cleaver today in silver twill and working on Kwaiken orders. We're expecting a crazy amount of snow here this week so you guys wish us luck!

X,
So if I do the math right, you have a spare $350 burning a hole on your pocket. More than half way to that sweet chopper D just finished.

See, it's all in how you look at it.

"Spare" or "extra" money don't exist, especially if the wife and kid know about it. :p

Although, I am looking really hard to that chopper!

-X

man that thunderstorm and lightning show last night over my area woke me up. Pouring cats and dogs giving Norcal drought relief that we have been missing.

Got my electric kettle to do some pour over coffee and my new horsehide wallet :D

Back