Favorite Sayings / Quotes to Live or Train By

Many of us have favorite sayings or quotes or mottos that we enjoy motivating ourselves with to either go through Life or to train by.

How about those of us who do posting an example, giving its source (if there is a known one), and then offering a paragraph or two about how your chosen line of thought or advice "reads" and why it has a positive effect in your daily program?

For example, I enjoy reading the various translations of Sun Tsu. As this gets underway I'll post a quote from ST and offer my interpretation.

We can elaborate on these, or simply pass them along to perhaps influence or encourage others.

Please, however, let's refrain from "Party Hardy" or "Live to Ride...". Keep it straight and let's see what get the other guy or gal goin' in the morning:D

It is far better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. -don't know the author, but it's one of SEVERAL that I really like.

...as for its life application, it reminds me to listen more than talk...something that has taken years for me to develop as an ongoing communication technique. However, I'm still known for my BIG mouth! :D

I'll share a few more later.

This was my motto when I was wrestling and used it to pump my team up during conditioning sessions.

"Pain is good, extreme pain is extremely good."

I did not make it up, but I forget where I saw/heard it.

For me it's two very simple, short, boring unimaginative words that is simple common sense for most of us, but it's something I try my damndest to live by. Those two simple, boring words....

BE NICE!!! It's that simple. I try my hardest to BE NICE to everyone I meet. Other people like dealing with nice people, both in simple daily life buying gas, or grabbing a gut bomb through the drive thru window to the things in life with much more profound implications. In the time I've spent working EMS, and security, it's incredible to me how many "professionals" forget common courtesy. I've defused countless tense situations working security with a simple smile, a soft voice, and friendly non-judgemental approach. In security I've bailed several badge heavy bone heads from the a$$kicking they probably deserved that way. Not nearly as cool and glamorous as the utilization of some dark ninja death techniques, but it keeps EVERYONE from being hurt. I'm by no means discounting assertiveness, but things go a hell of alot better whether you're detaining someone, or asking them to move thier car, or caring for them or thier loved ones if you BE NICE and show some respect to them as a human being.

In EMS nothing aggravates me quicker than being at an accident scene, calming my patient down, getting them to quit crying and hyperventilating, and starting to get an assessment and history on them and having somebody completely flush all my hard work. And how does this happen? it happens when Joe Cool Paramedic shows up with his wrap around Oakleys, his bag of toys and starts screaming at people. Treating MY patient like a piece of meat, throwing thier weight around to other responders, and generally creating a further degree of discomfort to my formerly calm patient and everyone else around.

Like I said, not a cool, extreme, profound, or philisophical saying, just what keeps me co-existing happily with 98% of all other bipedal earthly organisms. Just my meager perspective, hope no one minds.

hope y'all have a good one!

Hi All,
Bruce was a bit hypocritical on this point but....

"Its not the daily increase, but the daily decrease"
Hack away the unessentials".
Bruce Lee.

From my kungfu teacher; when asked by a new student about ancient Chinese fighting secrets:

"You want to know the secret? I'll tell you the secret .... HARD ****IN WORK, THAT'S THE SECRET!!!"

Runs,
I like you more every post I read from you. Truly a great way to live. I am not nearly as adept at it as you, but I too try to be nice to everyone. I find myself slipping sometimes, but I try.

...but one I always try to live by:

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
---author unknown (to me)

But my life is guided by The Warrior Creed, a creed that was developed by Jack Hoban, based on his 17 years of training in life and warriorship with Dr. Robet L. Humphrey. Jack says these words are Dr. Humphrey's, not his, distilled down to their simplest essence, and it describes what I believe true warriorship and values are about:

"Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.

Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.

Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there."

I'll post an incredible story from Dr. Humprey's life that illustrates what the will to live is about.

Best,

Brian

I cut and pasted this from the site that Jack Hoban maintains to keep Dr. Humphrey's work alive, http://www.lifevalues.com . This is post WWII.

###

"The Hunting Story"
Human Equality

After the war America was the undisputed leader of the world. For a while everyone loved us, even our former enemies. But soon people began to resent us due to our superior attitudes. We Americans thought that was unjustified and ungrateful. In one particular country, the unrest was beginning to have strategic implications during that delicate time of detente. Dr. Humphrey's job was to find out what the problem was and solve it.

The basic problem was that the Americans working in that poor ally country thought that the local people were smelly, ignorant, violent, dishonest and lazy and let them know it. No matter what he did, Dr. Humphrey couldn't stop the negative talk; partially because some of it was true! As a result, though, the local people wanted the Americans to go home.

One day, as a diversion, Humphrey decided to go hunting for wild boar with some people from the American embassy. They took a truck from the motor pool and headed out to the boondocks, stopping at a village to hire some local men to beat the brush and act as guides.

This village was very poor. The huts were made of mud and there was no electricity or running water. The streets were unpaved dirt and the whole village smelled. Flies abounded. The men looked surly and wore dirty clothes. The women covered their faces, and the children had runny noses and were dressed in rags.

It wasn't long before one American in the truck said, "This place stinks." Another said, "These people live just like animals." Finally, a young air force man said, "Yeah, they got nothin' to live for; they may as well be dead."

What could you say? It seemed true enough.

But just then, an old sergeant in the truck spoke up. He was the quiet type who never said much. In fact, except for his uniform, he kind of reminded you of one of the tough men in the village. He looked at the young airman and said, "You think they got nothin' to live for, do you? Well, if you are so sure, why don't you just take my knife, jump down off the back of this truck, and go try to kill one of them?"

There was dead silence in the truck. Humphrey was amazed. It was the first time that anyone had said anything that had actually silenced the negative talk about these local people. The sergeant went on to say, "I don't know either why they value their lives so much. Maybe it's those snotty nosed kids, or the women in the pantaloons. But whatever it is, they care about their lives and the lives of their loved ones, same as we Americans do . And if we don't stop talking bad about them, they will kick us out of this country!"

Humphrey asked him what we Americans, with all our wealth, could do to prove our belief in the peasants' equality despite their destitution? The Tennessee sergeant answered easily, "You got to be able to look them in the face and let them know, just with your eyes, that you know they are men who hurt like we do, and hope like we do, and want for their kids just like we all do. It is that way or we lose."

Adapted from "Values For A New Millennium"
by Robert L. Humphrey

This is a "play" on another saying but I know some of you guys are able to relate to this, I know I can: "It is better to sit down and appear you can't dance than to get on the dance floor and remove all doubt..." Author unknown but probably uncoordinated! :D

A version of one I think i originally heard said by either a Navy SEAL on t.v. or my old Tae Kwon-do instructor who used to be a Brit Para and SAS:

"The more you bleed in training, the less you'll bleed in combat."

That has helped me and my training partner a lot. We say that there aren't any mistakes really in the dojo. If we swing a stick the wrong way in a drill (do a #1 instead of a #4, say) then a mistake didn't occur. Energy came in that we weren't sensitive to and didn't flow with. If I am holding pads for my partner to punch and a punch hits my face instead of the target, we get to check wwhether I was holding the pad improperly (thus not making this the best training time I can) or whether my partner's aim is off, and needs fixing. We train to find the mistakes, so we can fix them and not do them (hopefully) when it really counts on the street, if that ever comes to be.

I laugh inside when I hear people say they don't want to go to the gym because they don't look good. THAT SI WHY YOU GO TO THE GYM!!! :) Smae goes for training. My partner did a funny move while we were doing some punching training and he said "boy I suck." I said, "That is why you are here." For me, this all comes from the quote I gave above.

"Higher conciousness through harder contact" - Dog Brothers' credo (copyrighted).

One of my favorite thoughts is "Things are Seldom What They Seem".

Old Special Forces saying that I first heard while a young SF sergeant in 10th Group.

In SF one learns to think unconventionally. Unconventional thinking is the foundation of unconventional actions and approaches to challenges, problems, and so on.

The key to a good unconventional mindset is understanding the World as it is presented to us on a daily basis is "seldom what it seems". It presents what it wants others to see, and therefore react or respond to.

Unconventional thinking and behavior is objective, pragmatic, curious, imaginative thinking / behavior. It is positive, solution driven action. It is "seeing through the mist".

No known author to my immediate knowledge.

Probably some old and war-wise Roman legion sergeant-major:D

I like that one too! I think the DB saying is touching on the same thing as the SEAL saying I quoted. But it is a more elegant way of putting it. A trip to train with the Dog Brothers would be a most amazing pilgrimage for me!

"Do not go gentle into that good night... Rage, rage against the dying of the light!", by Dylan Thomas.
My signature, of course, is another one I like.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
That was my motto for over 20 years:)

New to the bladeforums - Greetings all!

My favourite quote, one which emphasizes that life is about collecting experiences...

"One hour of life, crowded to full with glorious action, and filled with noble risks, is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum."

- Sir Walter Scott

You are posting great quotes/ideas, guys!!!

I've always been partial to "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrick Nietzsche

Also: "Life is suffering."-Siddhartha Guatama

"An expert is someone who does the basics better than everybody else."--Greg Walker (or were you quoting someone else, Sierra?)
"Knife fighting is imagination first and foremost."-Greg Walker? This one I've felt could be expanded to a more universal truth: "Life is imagination first and foremost."
Not all my teachers will read this, but I am very thankful for the wisdom of the body, and of the mind, that they have generously shared with me.
;)

Back