Favorite Sayings / Quotes to Live or Train By

Stump, love that quote by Teddy Roosevelt. We have that on a plaque in our wrestling room at my highschool.

Courage is fear after you have said your prayers......Author unknown

SM24, Thanks! That was it. :)

Oh, another.

Character is demonstrated by what a person does when he/she thinks no one is watching...

APologies if a couple of my posts have long quotes in the form of stories, but I feel they are worth it, This is the last one, also from Robery Humphrey. He was a Marine veteran of Iwo Jima...The dual-life value is based on Dr. Humphrey's experience that it is universal human nature to put others first when in a collective threatening situation. Self-sacrifice. It was a point touched on in my earlier post. These are true accounts from Iwo Jima that illustrate it....

####

Iwo Jima Stories
The Dual -Life Value

Part I:

I took over my platoon in a protected area. Men were walking around. They were a experienced, confident group who had been involved in the fighting at the top of Mount Suribachi--site of the famous flag raising.

One young man was especially noticeable, carrying an unusual Thompson submachine gun. He oozed self-confidence and independence. After chow that first evening, as he perfected his foxhole, he started declaring to himself in a loud voice: "I don't volunteer for nothin' else! Screw the Marine Corps! Screw Mount Suribachi! Screw everything except ol' number one! That's all that counts: gettin' off this island alive! I don't volunteer for nothin'!"

He shouted it so repeatedly that a couple of the other men picked it up. "Yeah! Right! We don't volunteer for nothing!" Suddenly it dawned on me that they were obliquely speaking to me, their new platoon leader. I felt the chill of having my leadership threatened.

The next morning, as we prepared to edge out of our positions, a message came down from higher headquarters. As luck would have it, I was being ordered to send a volunteer out onto a hill in front of us on a sure-death reconnaissance mission. Hesitant to ask for volunteers after what I had heard the night before, I announced that I, myself would go. I made the excuse that, since I was new, I wanted to see the terrain. No sooner had I spoken, than the same Marine who had made the declarations the previous night said, "No, I'll go, Lieutenant."

"What!" I exclaimed. "you were the one with the big mouth saying that you never volunteer for anything!"

Almost sheepishly trying to cover his willingness to take my place, he answered, "Well, I just can't trust any of these other jarheads on such a mission."

Part II:

In my rifle platoon, two of the teenage Marines had "stressed-out" after 34 of their 40 man platoon had been shot in the first five days. The two were no longer staying alert. I warned them that the Japanese would soon sneak into their fox holes, beat them to a shot and kill them. They did not respond. I raged at them, repeatedly, with the same warning about their impending death. It still did not work.

One of the platoon's wiser young riflemen, son of a Texas rancher, advised me quietly that I was telling the men the wrong thing. He said, "Tell them, Lieutenant, that the Japanese will get past them and kill us others." To my shock, that worked.

Adapted from "Values For A New Millennium"
by Robert L. Humphrey

Brian,

Great post.

"Values" is highly recommended to all. Dr. Thompson, Verbal Judo Institute, recommends it to his students and instructors alike.

Small world, small circle.

Greg

Read this in a book while in school, has stuck in my head for 20 years and have used it most every day since.

Say what you mean, mean what you say and cover the ground you stand on.

I just thought of another one.

"Nuff Said". The guy that used that one lives somewhere in the great Northwest..

"Running away is highly underrated!"
Having just completed a week of force-on-force training (I have the bruises to prove it!), this is very true. This quote is someone's signature line - don't know who.

Hey Kit,

I think I know that guy...:)

For those who don't know who Kit Carson is...

He is, in my professional opinion and experience, THE fellow who birthed the entire tactical folding knife era.

Many of today's well known and successful tactical folder makers were mentored, encouraged, and taught by Kit Carson years ago.

And Kit's tac-folders continue to be the finest practical such knives in the world.

The best thing about Kit is this.

He's the kind of man I'd go to guns with any time, any place, any where. I'm proud to call him friend, and proud to be considered a friend of his.

'Nuff said.

Greg Walker

First, another shootout for the Teddy R. qoute. I loved it when I first read it and them memorized it years ago. Thanks for the refresher course.
Originally posted by Mantracker
"The longer I live, the more I am convinced that life is about 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it!" (my favorite)
Charles Swindoll

That was (and is) my Dad's favorite saying.

I have a whole collection of quotes from my high school days. Even made some myself. One day I had a brainstorm and wrote down three ideas that seemed to be a good way to live a good life. A few months ago I added another three that were borrowed from somewhere else. Mantracker and I agree on rule #4.

1 Doing nothing is doing wrong.

2 Do not tell someone they are wrong without telling how to be right.

3 If you are not part of the solution, don't complain about the problem.

4 Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

5 Never run from predators

6 Never pi$$ off anything immortal (see #5)

The last two are from "The Last Unicorn." Loved the movie as a kid and this idea stayed with me. I find running away only compounds a problem. BTW, “predator” means both the animal and human kind, and “immortal” is not the right word but I can’t find a good substitute. The original line was "Never run from anything immortal. It only attracts their attention." Hopefully, you can see why I made the change.

I am also thinking of changing rule #1. Studying Zen has shown me that "nothing" can be productive and life has shown me that "just keeping busy" is often worst that doing nothing (in the non-Zen sense.)

Sorry for the long post. I just had to type out what was in my head.

There's wisdom of the foolish
Gracefulness of the slow
Subtlety in stupidity
And the advantage of lying low

This one is from an old Marine Sargent
"Life is tough, but it is tougher if you are stupid"

This is one of my favorites.

"Never concede defeat and you will never be defeated"

This is an old adage that given to me by a friend

"Good, Better, Best, never let us rest...until our good is Better and out Better is Best."

Thought for today.

"Live every day as though it were your last, for one day you will be right"

Here are some sayings that I've heard Bobby USE that I think are GREAT!!!

-----------

"Ask me no questions, I will tell you NO Lies!!!"

"I make no claims, I hold no titles"

"Ask me no questions, I'll tell you a lie or two" ;)

"...it's ALL hype!"

"Booooaaards, don't hit back." ENTER THE DRAGON 1973 -Bruce Lee

Don't leave the scene in polypropylene (referring to the material from which a body bag is made). 1979 -Me

An old Irish saying:

"At least half the lies that've been told about me AREN'T true!" :D

A good one, which a friend of mine told another...we were all talking, and these two had just gotten out of the military. One was regular army, and the other a Ranger (1st Bat). The regular army friend, having trouble adjusting to civvie life, said to us, "I just wanna survive."

And my Ranger friend said to him immediately:

"Surviving is easy. It LIVING that's the challenge." Good words.

He's living well, too. My other friend took it to heart and got his act together...

Here's a few that come to mind:

If you try you might succeed, if you don't try you have already failed.

Hit first and hit hard!

If you're not cheating, you're not trying to win.

Take care of the little things and the big things will take care of themselves (thank you Drill Sgt. Perez, Ft. Sill 1986).

"Can't" never could do anything until "can" came along.

You can afford to lose every battle except the last one.

A good run is better than a bad stand (or...he who runs away lives to fight another day).

I gave you a good name, make sure it's that way when you give it to your son. (from my father).

"You don't die for your country, you make the other poor bastard die for his" (Gen. Patton).

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like victory.
Someday this war's going to end." (Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now).

Good luck,
Allen.

"Reasonable men try to adapt themselves to their environment.
Unreasonable men try to adapt their environment to themselves.
Hence, all progress results from the efforts of unreasonable men."

George Bernard Shaw

Back