Favorite Sayings / Quotes to Live or Train By

"Never lie. Never tattle." -Mary Pinckney Hardy MacArthur, mother of Gen. Douglas MacArthur.

"It is the incessant clattering of women's tongues that drives men to the comparative peace of the battlefield." King Arthur in Hal Foster's 'Prince Valiant'.

"I cannot get up in the morning and say 'Today, I will be taller.' I cannot just decide to be smarter, more talented or better-looking. The ONE admirable trait that anyone can have simply by choosing it, is integrity." -me.

"Take not a poor man's goods nor a brave man's sword. Be not quick to temper, for there is a stronger than the strongest. But when you must strike, strike hard and strike true. So shall you gain honor, and in the end, that which is greater than honor, peace." Gudruda the Good, from H. Rider Haggard's 'Eric Brighteyes'

Change takes place when the price of change is less than the price
of remaining the same.

As long as you can justify your position you have no reason to change it.

My favorite quote:
I use this on my soldiers all the time.

"No one ever drowned in their own sweat"
Unknown(at least to me)

Nick

DIPLOMACY - The art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they actually look forward to the trip (unknown author)

A mistake on your part doesn't necessarily constitute an emergency on mine.

Win if you can, lose if you must... but always cheat.

It basicly means be tactical. Pick your battles. Win if you can, but lose (tactical retreat) if it is in your favor. Just remember that the other guy will do anything to win (destroy you). If you have any desire to survive, you must be willing to do anything (cheat) to eliminate his ability to harm you... or more.

"In times of peace, a gentleman always keeps his sword by his side."

...from the Hagakure

"Take not council of your fears."

...MacArthur

"He who hesitates is lost-"

...Hannibal

"You wanna live forever?"

...Conan the Barbarian

-Sorry; I couldn't help the last one! :D

"Experience is a great teacher. However, some lessons are best learned from her students." - me

I apparently haven't gotten the wording for this right, yet, because most people don't know what I mean.

Soooo . . .

While experience is a great teacher, some lessons are are so costly that it's better to learn the lesson by observing what someone else has gone through than having to suffer the lesson yourself.

. . . and one of my favorites (paraphrased from Bill Jordan's "No Second Place Winner" 'cause I don't have the book in front of me)

"An adventure is something you don't know you've had until you get home, which is where you wanted to be the whole time you were having the adventure."

My quote is paraphrased from Richie Cunninghams father on Happy Days.
"If doing the right thing were easy everyone would do it. Its doing the right thing when its hard that gives us character."

To me it means that if you want to be a 'good guy' you have to do the right thing, whatever that is, whenever it needs to be done. Whether its easy or not, dangerous or not, humbling or not.

Also my signature line "don't ignore the truth just because its obvious."-me
Many of life's universal truths are literally at hand while we are searching a library's dusty books of philosophy and ancient warrior's lore.

"Don't get wrapped up in someone else's battle."
-Author Unknown

"At the end of every rule and behind every law is the threat of violence. Violence can solve anything."
-Got this one off Glocktalk. It really makes you think. While violence is not always the answer, it does keep order.

JGardnerA-
Do you really think that's true? Frequently, violence begets violence. It's usually only a temporary solution. Causes live on in the spirit. However, I will admit there is one inevitable truth...
In the words of Colon Powell- "Vulnerability is seductive."

JGardnerA

I believe that quote was on Starship Troopers.

The way to man's heart is not through his stomach.....it's through his chest, with an axe!

-unknown.

Seriously though violence does keep order temporarily, however if you plan to keep order by intimidation remember that people get to fear something too much they look for ways to kill it. Usually a tyrant ends up in this position. So violence does solve things just not always in your favor.

The threat of violence works both ways. A tyrannical leader would be kept in check if he faced a threat from his population. You reach a kind of an equilibrium. I see no way out of this equation, as you cannot remove violence.

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Martin Luther King Jr.

"To really live one must always keep death in mind"

Unknown

Much luv

TornAdo

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Unknown

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." I can't remember who said that.

Those are hands down my favorites. When I started weightlifting, all I had was a cheap bench, a barbell, 2 dumbells, and those 2 quotes written on a piece a paper hanging from the ceiling. I eventually became a fairly big dog. :)

Here are my favorite Scientific Fighting Congress mottoes:

Expect chaos! Train in chaos! Thrive in chaos!

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you just didn't prepare well enough.

Fighting first! systems second!

Cheat first, cheat last, cheat in the middle.

Much wisdom.
I have profited.
Thanks.

-----

From Judo:

"Move for yourself."

The meaning of that instruction continues to expand every day.
Mostly, I take it to mean I can't change the other guy.
However, I can learn to take care of my own internal business and that simple skill alone will benefit the world more than trying to fix every broken, defective and just-plain-wrong person I meet.

On the fun side of the coin, learning to move for myself quite often enables me to help the other guy fall down, hard. ;)
A judo thing.

-----

"Trust everyone and brand your cattle."

-----

Great quotes Voodoo. fwiw- I've heard your first attributed to Eisenhower and the second to Henry Ford. Only Bartlett would know for sure.

Back