Favorite Sayings / Quotes to Live or Train By

Humility comes from the root word humus - Latin for fertile soil. To be fertile is to nurture the seeds planted within us until they have grown to maturity.

also my old signature line:

"God, protect me from your followers!" aka the Pastor's Prayer.

Mr. Prisco:

I beleive Abraham Lincoln may have said that one.

Mine are:

"It takes less time to learn a subject properly for the first time than to correct a learned mistake later"

"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

"The longer I live, the more I am convinced that life is about 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it!" (my favorite)
Charles Swindoll

Something related to my job/passion:

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed man long enough never care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway

"A person skilled in tracking can consider himself as having reached the pinnacle of bushcraft."
Lt. Col. Ron Reid-Daily

"If you are not making anyone mad, you are not getting anything done." -- Paul McNicol

McNicol was a colonel of marines. That says it all.

"Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt." ("A man has only lost when he admits it to himself.") -- Hans-Ulrich Rudel

"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck

Here are a few:

<hr>
To reduce someone's influence, first expand it;
To reduce someone's force, first increase it;
To overthrow someone, first exalt them;
To take from someone, first give to them.

<hr>
Just as a sapless tree will split and decay
So an inflexible force will meet defeat;
The hard and mighty lie beneath the ground
While the tender and weak dance on the breeze above.

<hr>
The soft overcomes the hard,
The yielding overcomes the strong;

"better to have and not need than to need and not have....."

Texas Ranger captain woodrow call in 'lonesome dove '(although my dad said that years before capt call did)

"ya can get farther with a kind word and a gun verses a kind word alone"

al capone

sifu

First of all,Welcome to Blade Forums,Thunderball.

Here's a quote that was attributed to Colin Powell,
"Sometimes,being in charge means pissing people off".

And here`s one of mine I try to live by,
"If you always expect the worst from people,don't be surprised if thats what they give you".

On police work:

"Always be professional and polite, but have a plan to kill anyone you meet."

Unknown author

Here's a few off the top of my head:

Similar to what RUNS posted - 'Be Nice - Until it's time NOT to be Nice.' (what movie was that from? I can't remember)

Story retold by Bruce Lee in TofJKD:
A learned man once went to a Zen teacher to inquire about Zen. As the Zen teacher explained, the learned man would frequently interrupt him with remarks like, "Oh, yes, we have that too...." and so on.
Finally the Zen teacher stopped talking and began to serve tea to the learned man. He poured the cup full, and then kept pouring until the cup overflowed.
"Enough!" the learned man once more interrupted. "No more can go into the cup!"
"Indeed, I see," answered the Zen teacher. "If you do not first empty the cup, how can you taste my cup of tea?"

Isaac Newton:
If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.

Einstein:
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

Another LE saying:
Deny everything, demand proof, and make counter-accusations...

Heard on the PT field:
Pain is just weakness leaving your body... Sandbag on your OWN time!

In a fortune cookie:
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do.
(I took it to mean what people say you are not capable of doing...)

Through personal experience:
There is ALWAYS someone better or stronger or faster or YOUNGER...

Gallagher the comedian:
What's the opposite of Progress? Congress...

Curly of the Three Stooges:
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking until you DO succeed...

From my dad:
Live within your means.
Don't get smart with me.
:D

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worth cause; who, at best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievements; who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again; and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

What is the way of the warrior? The way of the warrior is death.

Rogue Warrior-Red Cell

"Excuses are like ***holes...everyone has one and they all stink. An excuse is NOT an acceptable response." - one of my DI's in Basic.

"I did the best I could with what I had". - one of the "Foxfire" books.

THOSE WHO DARE WIN.
I belive this is the sas motto.
Another favorite is:
IF YOU NEVER HAD A BAD DAY HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IF YOU HAD A GOOD ONE.

And a saying on policework:
A MAN DOESN'T CHOOSE THIS JOB IT CHOOSES HIM.

STUMP,

I love that quote from Teddy R. Many great, thoughtprovoking quotes here. Very cool. One more, related to the Teddy Roosevelt quote:

"Don't call me SIR! I'm not an officer -- I WORK for a living!"

--enlisted in every branch of military. (No offense to officers of course.)

PC Bri.

Courage is not the absence of Fear. It is doing what needs to be done in spite of fear.

Can't remember if this is the exact quote, but WTH! It sounds good and I've had the honor of knowing a few men that this applies to.

This is hardcore wisdom, all!!

Samuel-"Be nice, until it's time not to be nice."-Patrick Swayze, Road House.

"F**k It!" In the context of doing something you don't want to do, you say that to yourself and do it anyway. Kind of a modern version of the Buddha quote someone posted that said life is suffering. Or maybe I read too many Marcinko books.

Folks,

Believe this is from the Rabbi Hillel, about a thousand years ago, in response to a challenge to define the essence of Judaism in the most economical way, (approximately) "Treat others as you would be treated. All the rest is commentary." :cool:

Alan

Back