Favorite Sayings / Quotes to Live or Train By

From Musashi:

"It is all leaves and branches"

It is like Bruce Lee's quotes about getting rid of the non-essential things in your life and looking at the problem/your life for what is really there...

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster; and when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you".

I forget when and where I heard this, but it was from a Marine DI when they were giving up their beloved M14s for the "new" M16. It is my standard answer to the endless caliber debates.

"Shoot him where he's biggest and do it more than once. If he thinks he's dead, he'll fall down. If he don't, you gotta convince him some more!"

Who must do the hard thing? Those who can.

"Don't cheat at cards unless you can beat up or shoot the people you're playing with" SGM Leavitt (my daddy)

"When the end of the world happens two things will be living, me and the f####ing cockroaches" MSG Blue (my team SGT)

"Because I said so", SFC Leavitt(me)

Don't post much, but didn't see these anywhere :)

Will
40 days and a wakeup

"No simplicity of mind, no obscurity of station, can escape the universal duty of questioning all that we believe."
- W.K. Clifford

This quote serves as a constant reminder of the need to seek new understanding/insight and to reevaluate my current way of thinking.

alfalfa

I haven't seen this posted yet, but I may have missed it. A former Marine Sniper I went through the Utah Corrections Academy with told me one that I had heard before, but it only stuck with me after the academy. I don't know where it originated, but I think it is used by a lot of people. The seven P's. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Good words to take to heart if you ask me.

Another vote for TR's 1910 speech, but you left off the last line, which is, "so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

And my sig line, roughly, Those who want peace, prepare for war.

Geraldo,

Thanks for the reminder. I couldn't remember that last line. My brain can finally rest now.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!

AND

You don't have to like it... You just have to do it.

"What is more yielding than the water, yet it comes back time and time again to wear away the rock"
Jigoro Kano, founder of Judo

"Survival is simply knowing what to do in order to stay alive in a sudden crisis."

Ron Reid-Daly, Founder and First Commander
Selous Scouts
Rhodesia

I should have said this one earlier! It is the one in my sig line.

Come What May

I heard that at a JKD seminar, so I train with that in mind. I train so that, come what may, I can flow into it, blast it appart, and continue on.

Flowing in and blasting appart could be a series of elbows, a series of knife cuts, or a Nike dash! Come what may, I'll sellect the technique(s) needed, do them, and go on with things.

Hi. This is my first post and after initially scanning through Bladeforums, I like to say thanks for ruining my weekend, I'm going to end up not leaving my computer for at least three days :)

This first quote is from a t-shirt I had many years ago and have adhered to this doctrine ever since, doesn't really need an explanation.

"Don't Relax. Reload"

This next one is from a man called Geoff Thompson (Joint chief instructor, British Combat Association)

"Risk is the cavernous hole that lies between those that dream and those that do" (If there was no risk there would be no point, everyone would have everything they wanted).

Cheers
LL

Here's two of my favs:

"It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
Italian proverb

We make war that we may live in peace.
--Aristotle--

First time posting. Love the forum.

"Who ever told you that learning was easy? I always found it to be extremely difficult."

Donald Lively-my law school professor (first semester)as he was responding to concerns of one of my peers.

It's not pretty, but it got me through the rest of my law school career. If he found learning to be difficult, than I was o.k.

Back