Fiddlebacks and Food

I'm thinking my/our Fiddlebacks needs some o' this action:

[video=youtube;DYu37-vyMLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYu37-vyMLA[/video]

Wowza, process and product, hand to hand, all-natural result, good for edges.

:cool:

[I have not yet decided if I'm glad I've watched this, or wish I hadn't.]

Well, I'm almost glad.... but in a FF Friday kind of way!! Thanks Sarah, for this new quest!

With my Fiddlebacks:

IMG_5016.jpg~original

With my two favorite food knives, from North Arm Knives:

IMG_4999.jpg~original

I'm honestly not much one for kitchening, but things like this encourage me in good directions.

Maybe I'll even decide to Food, better! :D

~ P.

With my Fiddlebacks:

IMG_5016.jpg~original

With my two favorite food knives, from North Arm Knives:

IMG_4999.jpg~original

I'm honestly not much one for kitchening, but things like this encourage me in good directions.

Maybe I'll even decide to Food, better! :D

~ P.

"Food" (v) as a verb!! Love it My revised Webster describes this as a direct result of "kitchen" (v) also a verb!! No really!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which one did you get?

Medium. I didn't want to feel cramped, not only in terms of the board itself but in light of the space(s) in which I'll be using it. Even picturing where to keep it when not in use, I'm glad I didn't go bigger, although those with more room (and/or who are more intense about Fooding) would likely appreciate even more of an expanse. The Medium is an almost-too-big, great size for me!

This is an impressive, substantial piece, including that with its little rubber feet, it rises a good 2" above whatever surface it's resting on:

FullSizeRender_3.jpg~original

Some quick nighttime pictures with Fiddlebacks for scale:

image1%201.jpg~original

Esquire

image2.jpg~original

Patch

image3.jpg~original

Bear Cub

Hope this helps. :)

~ P.

Medium. I didn't want to feel cramped, not only in terms of the board itself but in light of the space(s) in which I'll be using it. Even picturing where to keep it when not in use, I'm glad I didn't go bigger, although those with more room (and/or who are more intense about Fooding) would likely appreciate even more of an expanse. The Medium is an almost-too-big, great size for me!

This is an impressive, substantial piece, including that with its little rubber feet, it rises a good 2" above whatever surface it's resting on:

image1%201.jpg~original

Esquire

image2.jpg~original

Patch

image3.jpg~original

Bear Cub

~ P.

Oh yes Thanks Very helpful. I haven't yet finalized what size I'll get, but to get one is a done deal. I have a fairly big food prep area and currently have a commercial grade synthetic cutting board that's pretty big. Like 36x36. But I've been wanting, for years a good wooden cutting board. Enter your video! Thanks Sarah!

Last edited:
I was given a teak cutting board a year or so ago. Love that thing! It's tough to beat a good wooden cutting board!

image1%201.jpg~original

Esquire

image2.jpg~original

Patch

image3.jpg~original

Bear Cub

~ P.

Where did you purchase the board from? Directly from Larch or somewhere else?

dang.
i was all set to get a Boo's block..must research Larch wood

Larch and maple are on almost opposite sides of the hardness spectrum, but each has its proponents. Boos makes great boards, and for more hard-core kitcheners their maple might be a better choice? The larch looks to have more glue joints (my Medium is comprised of 14 x 17 = 238 small blocks of wood!), if that's something anyone is concerned about. I'm not.

Given my needs and predilections, I wasn't in the market for a quality cutting board, and after finding this one and looking around, don't see anything else out there I'd consider spending this range of money on. Larch Wood's marketing department sure did ace their video! And I'm so glad. :)

[My board is to commemorate a friendship/friend; its visual, tactile Impact is the central Point, with its excellence for knife edges and Fooding necessary but secondary. Once again, the confluence of hand workmanship and an eye for beauty, in a quality item that will only improve with honest use, proves compelling. In some way, the board does justice to the work of Fiddleback, North Arm, etc., the cutlery employed thereon...? This all fits together for me, somehow.]

Where did you purchase the board from? Directly from Larch or somewhere else?

I wanted to order straight from Larch Wood, but the realities of shipping/cost from Canada daunted me, so I let a different entity take that hit. PM sent. :)

~ P.

If you want to extend the life of your wooden cutting board, reduce maintenance, make cleanup 1000% easier and not have to worry about bacteria from your food impregnating itself in the wood, I highly recommend getting a set of the Pampered Chef flexible cutting mats. Outside of the obvious that you will not be cutting into your nice expensive wood board, they weigh nothing, you can throw them in the dishwasher when done and with their flexibility it's easy to fold them in half after chopping to dump your cut items into a pan, pot, bowl, ect. Also, these mats have grip on one side, so they do not slide on whatever surface you have them on.

7a9beb841fecaf1330a16306aa92c53d.jpg

c13d4826bb5a667dcdad586085a5a355.jpg

Outside of the obvious that you will not be cutting into your nice expensive wood board....

But, I want to cut on (and into the edge grain) of my board, with my Knifes!

If I could make it, I'd bring my board to Trackrock and have it broken in Right®. :D

All the same, those mats do look way useful, just because. Thanks. :)

~ P.

What are the dimensions of the little individual pieces?

larch = conifer cypress = conifer

Larch (Larix) is a pretty cool genus of tree! One of the few deciduous conifers, they lose their needles every year like deciduous trees but have cones and other coniferous traits. I find them to be quite beautiful. Here are some close up pictures of one that I took several years ago during a project I did at the Arboretum at Colorado State University.

xYlRqFjh.jpg

59JjO1Qh.jpg

ITk7hZdh.jpg

If you want to extend the life of your wooden cutting board, reduce maintenance, make cleanup 1000% easier and not have to worry about bacteria from your food impregnating itself in the wood, I highly recommend getting a set of the Pampered Chef flexible cutting mats. Outside of the obvious that you will not be cutting into your nice expensive wood board, they weigh nothing, you can throw them in the dishwasher when done and with their flexibility it's easy to fold them in half after chopping to dump your cut items into a pan, pot, bowl, ect. Also, these mats have grip on one side, so they do not slide on whatever surface you have them on.

7a9beb841fecaf1330a16306aa92c53d.jpg

c13d4826bb5a667dcdad586085a5a355.jpg

I love those cutting mats... I have something similar... the only disadvantage that I've encountered is when I'm not holding the mat correctly and transferring its contents sometimes the heaviness will cause the mat to bend and the meat will fall on the floor..

I love using them for pork and chicken to decrease the chance of bacterial diseases

What are the dimensions of the little individual pieces?

On this medium board, the pieces are 1.25" wide, .75" tall, and 1.5" deep (the board is 1.5" thick).

FullSizeRender_5.jpg~original

Other sizes/configurations vary, at least in terms of piece/board thickness, possibly in dimension as well.

~ P.

On this medium board, the pieces are 1.25" wide, .75" tall, and 1.5" deep (the board is 1.5" thick).

FullSizeRender_5.jpg~original

Other sizes/configurations vary, at least in terms of piece/board thickness, possibly in dimension as well.

~ P.

Thanks! I need to go look through my stash now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

let's see, let's see....big snow storm? yup. might as well grill some burgers!

QpSU94W.jpg

pe42zL8.jpg

Back