first try at a butterfly sheath

Nah, I just use a washcloth or piece of canvas to rub a light coat on. I've never tried a soak, but I may try it one day. Not on a sheath, don't see the need, but it sounds like fun for something else.

This is the finish.

7J5p7ON.jpg

I treated half of a scrap. You can see that the treated side darkened a bit, but it definitely evens out some.

qIUzVVx.jpg

Two minutes later it was already evening out.

OIcPmve.jpg

Here I'm running the tap water over the scrap.

XxjbPHD.jpg

And after a few minutes of running water.

YMs63pI.jpg

Water beads nicely.

SKLJQrz.jpg

I made a video to show it in action. I'll post it once it's done uploading.

I want to make another sample showing the wax mix versus Tan-Kote. I'll need to agitate the finishes to show which is better but my money is on the wax for sure.

Edit- quick video. Water does encroach around the untreated edges a little, but you get the drift.

[video]https://youtu.be/CMtOK5yuTKE[/video]

Last edited:
well, thanks alot for that quick test and the video. appreciate your effort!
coconut oil? i thought about using neatsfoot (once it arrives :D ), but coconut sure smells nicer :D

btw, here is a look at a quick and dirty sheath i made yesterday:

just neatsfoot oil (compound though, i only have that right now) and bag kote.

Wonder if Wasabi flavored olive oil or Macadamia Nut oil with Wild Pepper would work for leather... :rolleyes:

wasabi flavored olive oil?!? is that an australian thing? :D
but i was actually thinking about different possibilites as well... maybe lavender... dunno...

wasabi flavored olive oil?!? is that an australian thing? :D
but i was actually thinking about different possibilites as well... maybe lavender... dunno...

I do have some essential oils at home, a few of them hardly used... but if I did use one, I'd have to keep the sheath on the balcony for a few weeks...

yeah, i wouldn't consider one of the distilled scent oils, that would probably be too much. so back to wasabi again...
say anthony, for a wax/neetsfoot mixture the general consent seems to be about 1:4 or 1:5 mixture. what about the coconut oil? also coldpressed 100% pure or what did you use?

Have you guy's tried Saddle Butter? I've used it on a few sheaths and it turned out well. I can't speak to long term use, but so far it's been good. I like the idea of it, or other oil/wax mixes, being able to be reapplied easly as needed.

well, thanks alot for that quick test and the video. appreciate your effort!
coconut oil? i thought about using neatsfoot (once it arrives :D ), but coconut sure smells nicer :D

btw, here is a look at a quick and dirty sheath i made yesterday:

just neatsfoot oil (compound though, i only have that right now) and bag kote.
Are you left handed? Looks like the edge would face forward on the right side. On strap ends I usually round off the corners. Did you leave the retention strap square for a reason, or do you simply like the look?

Good job on that one. :)

yeah, i wouldn't consider one of the distilled scent oils, that would probably be too much. so back to wasabi again...
say anthony, for a wax/neetsfoot mixture the general consent seems to be about 1:4 or 1:5 mixture. what about the coconut oil? also coldpressed 100% pure or what did you use?
Over here they sell the oil for cooking. My family finds a few uses for it. It's solid at room temperature, but melts very easily just above room temp.

I can't remember off hand what the ratio is. I believe it was something like 1:3 or 1:4. Really I just look for the melting quality more than anything else. In the pic of the jar the finish stays solid, but softens readily with just a little friction as it gets rubbed in. I want it to soften easily because I don't want white wax in the stitching or in stamp impressions. Just rubbing it in works in that regard without having to use a hair dryer, or other heat source, to get it to penetrate.

Last edited:
Florian, these are the two products I have on hand.

h7Z8gar.jpg

By the time I took this pic and set the phone down the oil completely melted from body heat.

ao7K6OM.jpg

One of these days I'll have the time and patience to mix my own, but until then I'm looking for something similar to what Gary has but not available anymore. I hear Black Rock is good but have not look for it yet. My go to is Aussie leather conditioner by Fiebings. The mix is good, I have a new plastic can of the stuff now and its identical to the old tin, but for the smell. The new stuff has a honey odor to it which is kind of nice actually. The old stuff smells for all like Kiwi, which is equally as nice to me due to polishing my dads shoes many many years ago. Good memories.

Laugh if you like but kiwi shoe polish does a real nice job

Why would anyone laugh? It's a product to protect leather at ground level so in a pinch will do nicely.
Probably I'd avoid using it on sheaths that house knives that prepare food...

Why would anyone laugh? It's a product to protect leather at ground level so in a pinch will do nicely.
Probably I'd avoid using it on sheaths that house knives that prepare food...
I agree 100%. Someone pointed out a while back that these companies do a lot of R&D. Makes sense to me.

Are you left handed? Looks like the edge would face forward on the right side. On strap ends I usually round off the corners. Did you leave the retention strap square for a reason, or do you simply like the look?

Good job on that one. :)

Over here they sell the oil for cooking. My family finds a few uses for it. It's solid at room temperature, but melts very easily just above room temp.

I can't remember off hand what the ratio is. I believe it was something like 1:3 or 1:4. Really I just look for the melting quality more than anything else. In the pic of the jar the finish stays solid, but softens readily with just a little friction as it gets rubbed in. I want it to soften easily because I don't want white wax in the stitching or in stamp impressions. Just rubbing it in works in that regard without having to use a hair dryer, or other heat source, to get it to penetrate.

anthony, thanks for your time and effort on your replies with the pictures and tests. i'll have to check what's available over here, but i think i will find something which will work out :D

actually no, i am not left handed. sheath was derived from a pattern i drew to be carried in the small of the back, but i skipped on the belt loop. so this is a pure pocket sheath. the top strap was intentionally left that way to give the thumb more purchase when opening the strap. so you can just slide your hand into the pocket, unbutton with the thumb and pull out the knife. or so was the idea :D

Back