Flea Market finds

I went over budget this weekend ( $10 ) I spent $12.
# 51 Camillus Barlow seller wanted $10, I paid $7, the tip was broken, so I reshaped it and had to file down the kick, but I'm finding I really like this pattern.
ef0a30aa.jpg

From 1965 Camillus catalog

Bad pic, the blade was sticking out of the handle and tip broken and poorly shaped
45e2b3d3.jpg

After reshaping and file of kick
e8e58b0f.jpg

52021598.jpg

Now this little guy I bought for $5, more out of respect for the knife and the previous owner, who it would seem worked it hard. I probably could have paid $3, but I didn't even try.
Camillus #21 pony jack ( peanut)
43062fef.jpg

bd6100f6.jpg

After rust cleaned off
ca14cf51.jpg

671c6904.jpg

Needs to be sharpened still

Nice finds, Pete. I gave $4 for my pony jack at the flea market back in March.

betterdays1.jpg

betterdays2.jpg

Here's a shot of it with my peanut:

ponypeanutpatina.jpg

Well another Sunday and the flea market paid off again, both bought from the same vendor, and I blew my $10 budget, and spent $20, but I still think I did well.
First up a WWII Camillus TL-29 c. 1941-1949 in near mint condition main blades been sharpened, and the secondary has a slight bit of play but the scales make up for it.
19f9713e.jpg

5b67d0c5.jpg

Next is a real gem of a find I can't beleave I found this, it's a H. Boker & Co's Improved Cutlery, I've searched out as much info as I could, but think I need to contact Boker to get a more exact date, and if it's US or German made. Both blades have the same tang stamp, First line:H.Boker & Co's, Second line: Improved
Third line: Cutlery, both blades have tree on the backside of the tang, if German made 1869-1910 if US made 1899-1920, tree used is hard to make out looks like the 1887, 1900, 1915? Maybe after I clean it up a little I can tell a little better. The snap on both blades are unbelievable, half stops on both are excellent, long pull, and swedge are real nice, can't figure out the handle, maybe ebony? My oldest find and really excellent condition and craftsmanship, seller wanted $15, I tried to get both for $15, but in the end paid $20 for both, still a great deal.

fe30e284.jpg

b5e64eba.jpg

Anyone with any other info please let me know.
Pete

Very nice finds, Pete! :)

The TL29 is looking great.

That Böker Jack is a real stunning piece of craftmanship.

I wish I could find such great pieces at flea markets on this place of the world. Thank you for sharing your great finds!

Kind regards
Andi

Thanks guys, I've been looking for info on this Boker on and off today, my wife thinks the Tree looks like the one used in 1887, I think it looks like the one used in 1900?, I emailed Boker with all the tang stamp info, and pics of the shield and tree stamp on blades, the more I researched I think the scales are ebony, seems commonly used by H. Boker & Co's Improved Cutlery during the late 1800's and 1900's prior to the second World War, with a magnifying glass I could see wood grain. Hopefully Boker will get back to me, I'd like to know when and where it was made. Hard to be leave its still sharp and not much blade wear, couple small chips in the main blade, I'll take it to the stone tomorrow and clean up the edges, it's going to be a nice knife to carry.

Very great find!

I'd ask about your flea market, but I doubt it would be helpful (to you!) if we all started showing up on Sunday mornings. ;-)

~ P.

Very nice! Seems that when I go hit the flea markets and yard sales, the best I can find is junk, overpriced, or both. There was one exception. I got a Red Vic Farmer for $14 or so.

Around here I gave up on garage sales. Dirty toys and used baby clothes are a good day in central Pa.

Rich

I don't find a lot of knives in flea markets or garage sales these days. Partly the condition is worse and the price higher than they used to be; maybe partly it's my attitude as to what's worth fixing.

But here's a bulldog I got for $4. The main blade is a little bent, but that's all that ails it.

http://db.tt/Vyan0F8k

Here is my Boker cleaned up and sharpened
ef92b47e.jpg

The more I have researched this knife I would guess it was made in New York in the early 1900's, at least that's what the tree on the tang would indicate after cleaning, I am only guessing it was made in New York as Hermann Boeker immigrated there in 1887 and founded H.Boker & Co., Boker also owned Valley Forge cutlery and were also contracted to make knives for many other cutlers including Case.
The Shield is what has been giving me trouble.
8a759bdc.jpg

f448c312.jpg

e2a50615.jpg

H. Boker & Co's made knives for C. Platts & Sons in the early 1900's as Platts had been contracting knives out at that period of time, both companies were located in New York at the time.

I found these list of Cutlers Boker has made knives for, don't remember where I found these or how accurate they are:

Arbolito - Spanish for "little tree". South American branch. Argentina.

Boker Plus - Boker's current "international" brand. Made in Tiawan and China.

Boker USA - Started in 1899 when H. Boker & Co. purchased the Valley Forge plant. Ended U.S. production in 1983.

Casa Boker - Hardware store founded in 1865 by Robert Boker. Sold knives and hardware improted from USA, Germany and England. Known as "the Sears of Mexico".

Cinch - Current manufacture in Solingen.

Cooper Group - Purchased Boker USA from J. Wiss in 1977. Moved production to Statesboro, GA. Ended US production in 1983.

Cyclops Steel - Purchased by Barl F. Boker in 1916. Sold in 1926. Titusville, PA.

George Schrade - Purchased by Boker ni 1956. Closed in 1958

H. Boker & Company - Founded in NY in 1837 by Hermann Boker. Imported cutlery from Germany. Began making knives in the US with the purchase of Valley Forge cutlery in 1899.

H. Dorwal - Knives made by Boker in Solingen, distributed by the Remsheid Bokers for the Canadian market.*

Heinrich Boker - Official name of the factory in Solingen. Opened in 1869.

Hen and Rooster - Boker made knives in Solingen for Frost. Recent.

Henry Boker - Brand name associated with the Remsheid Bokers. Mostly sold in Australia. Also used on many hand tools in that country.

J. Wiss & Sons - purchased Boker USA in 1969.

J.A. Henkels - Contracted knives made by Boker Solingen. Dates uncertain (1960 - present ???)

John Newton (Sheffield) - Made by Boker USA, Newark, NJ, circa 1906.

John Primble - knives sold by Belknap. Boker USA made knives sold under the Primble trademark from circa 1940s - early 1980s. Primble knives made by Boker have a star on the pattern number stamped on the tang.

Litton Industries - Owned Boker USA in 1968. Sold to J. Wiss in 1969.

Magnum - Knives made in China.

New Britain - Toolmaking company in Connecticutt. Purchased Boker USA in 1965. Bought by Litton Industries circa 1968.

Olde Stag - trademark patented by Boker in 1975 to identify knives made with "del-bone" (delrin) imitation stag handles.

Radium - Blade etch on some Boker knives from early 1900s. History unknown

Rainbow (Providence, RI) - made by Boker USA circa 1933-1954

Razor Steel - Etched on some Boker USA blades circa 1940-1950

Riverside Cut. Co. NY - Made by Boker USA circa 1918

Tree Brand - The Boker brand, USA and Solingen, as it is sometimes called.

Tree Brand Classic - trademark patented in 1974 - used on knife patterns that have been around for a while...

United Boker - Contract knives made by Boker circa 1984-1994.

Valley Forge - Company purchased by H. Boker & Co. in 1899. Closed original plant in 1921, but continued to manufacture Valley Forge knives alongside Boker USA knives in the Maplewood, NJ plant until the 1950s.

Whitehead & Hoag Co. (Newark, NJ) - Made by Boker USA circa 1900-1959

Wright & Wilhelmy (Omaha, NE) - Made by Boker and Ulster

1. Manhattan Cutlery Company (1868-1906).
2. Trenton Cutlery Company (1880-1906).
3. Regal Cutlery Company (1906).
4. George Dunbar (1901-1906).
5. Eclipse (1887-1918).
6. Hilton (1922-1924).
7. Edelweiss (1903).
8. Hardy Bros. (1884-1885).
9. Bicycle (1894).
10. O.K. Barlow Germany (1867-1917).
11. O.K. Barlow (1896-1917).
12. Red Injun Razors (1902).*
13. Celebrated Knife etched Bokers (late 1800's-early 1900's).
14. X (with an arrow thru it) Boker M R (1850-1875).
15. Baumwerk is Spanish for tree work.
16. Alemania is Spanish for Germany.
17. Radium (patented by Boker in 1904).
18. I'm not positive on these two, but I'm pretty sure Boker made them: W.D. Herbert and Dixon Cutlery Co.
19. Boker also made some knives for Case. The old Case radio or plier knives are identical to the old H. Bokers, as well as an old camp/scout knife pattern.
20. Prentiss Knife Co. New York (1916-1930) VF is stamped inside a circle (Valley Forge when Boker owned them) on the back of the tang.
21. Wyeth's Warranted Cutlery.
22. Bowen (1990's).

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the nice information about these old companies. This could be a helpful thread, when something will be found that´s a little unknown.

But that Böker is a stunning knife, Pete. Especially when I see it resharpened and a little cleaned.

Kind regards
Andi

Back